Guessing calories burned for unusual activities

Options
Aside from wearing a heart monitor around for everything, how do you guess at calories burned for out of the ordinary activities?

For example;

It was almost 90 degrees with 65 percent humidity today. I took down an 18 foot round above ground pool, power washed it, flipped it over and power washed again and then re-assembled it, power washed it inside one last time, bailed out some of the nasty water by hand and then starting filling it.

Oh, the things we do for our kids. :laugh:

Replies

• melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    There's a general construction option that I've used for things like renovations around the house when I KNEW I was sweating up a storm and my heart rate was going.

I dug an egress window well yesterday and then hauled 21lbs blocks into it for the retaining wall, I figured that counted as construction too!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I would log that as "cleaning heavy, vigorous effort"
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I would break it up into seperate exercises.. guessing the amount of time you took to deconstruct & put back together and count that as construction and then count the rest as heavy cleaning
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I wouldnt count that as exercize. I only count actual working out. Like 1 hour running or
    Swimming, weight lifting, etc. I also dont count doing laundry, dishes, or other random stuff,
    But some people do.
  • megsta21
    megsta21 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There is a reasonably Accurate calculation you could do if you wanted to... which i learnt from someone else...

Guess the level of effort you were doing... 1 = none. 10= Moderate. 20 = High.

Then times that number by the minutes you spent doing it...

Example: Running = 20 effort.... x 10 = 200 cals burnt
    Example: Walking = 7 effort.... x 10 = 70 cals burnt
  • BarnDogBob
    BarnDogBob Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Thanks all, got it. Great tips.