Seemingly random weight loss/gain

Options
Does this happend to everyone? I know weight can fluctuate from many things but I've been doing my plan for about 8 weeks now. Now I've only weighed myself three times. The first time was the baseline, the second I had lost 4.5 lbs and that was after about 6.5 weeks. Then another 1.5 weeks and I weighed again and I lost another 4.5 lbs. That just doesn't seem right. I'm afraid to weigh myself again fearing it was just a fluke, like I was dehydrated or something, and now I might be back up there again. Can there be sporadic jumps in weight loss that are real/healthy?

Replies

• desti_99
    desti_99 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Does this happend to everyone? I know weight can fluctuate from many things but I've been doing my plan for about 8 weeks now. Now I've only weighed myself three times. The first time was the baseline, the second I had lost 4.5 lbs and that was after about 6.5 weeks. Then another 1.5 weeks and I weighed again and I lost another 4.5 lbs. That just doesn't seem right. I'm afraid to weigh myself again fearing it was just a fluke, like I was dehydrated or something, and now I might be back up there again. Can there be sporadic jumps in weight loss that are real/healthy?
  • kgore0808
    Options
    I think we can fluctuate in weight due to water retention, salt intake, etc and it be normal. And they say weighting yourself at the sametime and day each week is the best because your body does go up and down at different times.
  • eer205
    Options
    I don't mean to get personal, but where you on your period or ovulating? I have found that my weight can fluctuate 5-7 pounds when I'm doing either of these things. You might want to mark your calendar these weeks so that you can see if that is what is making a difference.
    Also, I agree that you should weigh at the same time on the same day each week. Then you'll be able to get a better idea of what is going on. :):):) Don't be scared to weigh. Do it, track it, and use it to learn more about your body.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I do experience sporadic weightloss. SOmetimes I go for weeks with losing anything and then all of a sudden I'm down 2 or 3 pounds in a matter of days. It could be a whole host of things. SOmething nobody has mentioned is your sodium intake. See, sodium essentially makes your body grab onto and store water (ie- makes you bloated) which will make you weigh in at a higher number. Lots of people just joining mFP are coming from high sodium diets to low ones (think fast food and pre-packaged meals from the grocery store to whole foods: fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean meats.)
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Water retention. TOM. any number of things. Doc put me on a diuretic last week, and I dropped 6 pounds in 5 days. Now, since yesterday, I've gained 1.6 pounds. Being a woman trying to lose weight is just not fair or easy! Too many factors can influence our weight loss. That's why many skip the scale completely and just use a tape measure.