INSANITY????? P90X?????

Options
OK so I need help -- I'm thinking about purchasing one of the two. I do not know which one would be better -- I am a 21 year old woman 232lbs and carry about 70% of my weight in my hips and thighs. I want the one that will get rid of that fat. I WILL work my *kitten* off I just don't know what to get. HELP -- P.S. if there are any females that are shaped like me that have done it let me know your success stories -- ANY and ALL advice is appreciated -- Thanks!!!

Replies

• littttlelaurra
    littttlelaurra Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I have no idea but am the same in aprox weight and shape carry mine like a tire inner tube and wanted to try one of them, insanity, p90x or turbofire, cant make up my miind either cus they are so different. will watch your thread and see what others say.
  • nehushtan
    nehushtan Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    If you are a "beginner" at it, consider P90 (without the X) to start off. Both of the ones you are considering are fairly extreme, Insanity more than P90X.
  • kesteele
    kesteele Posts: 127
    Options
    I'm not really a "beginner" per say I'm rather in shape but just can't lose the weight
  • athenamarz
    athenamarz Posts: 1
    Options
    I've tried P90X a couple times. I wasn't ever dedicated enough to get through more than a week though, but I tell you what I could FEEL it. It's really hard work, even if you take it easy as a beginner. It WILL kick your *kitten*. :)
  • eattogrow
    eattogrow Posts: 1
    Options
    Insanity will burn the fat and calories more than p90x. p90x will develop muscles more than insanity. They are both very intense, but intensity is the ONLY way to see results! Good luck.
  • soontobe10811
    Options
    Insanity is....insane! I bought it and I could tell/see results. I got about halfway through the program and then I got sick. I am gonna be honest, it is super tough in the beginning, but it gets easier each day. You will SWEAT and be SORE. I wish I would've stuck with it though bc I know there would've been some amazing results. Good luck :)
  • WifeMomDVM
    WifeMomDVM Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I haven't done either, but whenever I can't decide between two products one of my favorite things to do is go to www.amazon.com and read the reviews of what others say about it.

Bottom line - I honestly don't know if it will matter which one you do. As long as you are eating clean, doing weights and cardio and following MFP's calorie guidelines you are going to see results. Will one give you faster results than the other? I don't know. The important thing is that you are doing SOMETHING.

As far as how your fat is distributed, you will lose from all over your body. The "trouble spots" are the last to go, and they will disappear once your body fat % is low enough. For me my stomach was always biggest, I'm near my goal and I still have a "big" stomach it is just much smaller than it used to be! :)

So, not sure which one you should choose, but hope this helps anyway.
  • itstherealest
    Options
    Hello, I think it may be a bit insane of an idea, and think you should take it more lightly. Given your weight I would suggest starting out in baby steps, that is, start by talking walks to build up your muscles and bones until you can do heavier cardio, because any intense workout such as the P90X may not only get you very tired but may put unnecessary strain on your body.

In the meantime, try to modify your diet, little by little, baby steps again because anything too drastic will probably be unmotivating if you don't see the immediate results you expect. Start by lets say, limiting your juice & soda intake, and choosing only cheese or mayo on you sub instead of both.
  • tross0924
    tross0924 Posts: 909 Member
    Options
    Well for a sample of either one, here's what I tell people.

P90X - Do as many push ups as you possibly can. Do as many pull ups as you can (it's ok to use a chair and lift some of your weight with your legs). Then go back and do as many Push ups as you can, pull ups, push ups . . . until you've done 10 sets of push ups and 10 sets of pull ups.

Insanity - Do 5 exercises. Jog in place, jumping jacks, burpies, high knee lifts, and a 2 footed jump side to side over a line. Do those 5 exercises for 30 seconds each at a good pace, once you do the last one, start over and do all 5 for 30 seconds each at a faster pace, once you reach the end start over and do all 5 for 30 seconds each as fast as humanly possible. When you hit the end of your 3rd time through, pause for 30 seconds and then start over.

Which did you like better? Bear in mind that you can modify everything in both programs, you just have to give it your all every time.

ETA* The first time I did P90X I weighed 290 lbs. You can do it at any weight. I didn't do nearly the number of push up, or pull up, or work with the weight that I do now, but I did what I could and got through it. Every week gets easier, the trick is to increase your reps or weight so that every week is just as hard as the first.
  • kesteele
    Options
    istherealest -- I actually do high cardio....I run/walk/jog weight train but I don't lose much weight I never drink soda only water and SOMETIMES sunny-d but that's not a lot. but I'm in better shape than my 125lb friend (which is sad) I just want the hip thigh crap to go
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    I'm going to agree with the person who said that P90X is more for building muscle and Insanity is more for cardio. They are both craaaaaaaazy and I know people use them to lose weight but I honestly feel that at this point I am too big to do those exercises. Aaaaaaanyway, I also agree with the person who said to do the P90 first. It's a little less intense. Hip Hop Abs by the same people as Insanity looks interesting too. More like fun!

I have them all and can't decide which one to do either. If you start one and like it, let me know how it goes!
  • kesteele
    Options
    so it's just like power 90??? by beachbody too? I haven't ever heard of it. I'll have to look it up on amazon
  • jonbobfrog
    jonbobfrog Posts: 294
    Options
    Oh, you could look at Jillian Michaels's 30 Day Shred or ChaLean Extreme too.
  • leelee243
    leelee243 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I do Insanity as a supplement to jogging and most importantly- watching EVERY morsel that goes into your mouth. Even if you say you're "in shape", the losing weight, including trouble areas, won't happen unless you're cutting calories.
    SO, Insanity is just that... INSANE. I tend to swear a lot when doing it. :) It is all cardio & power leg, abs & shoulders but with AWESOME stretching sessions. And Shawn T is great too.
    Best wishes!
  • kesteele
    Options
    thanks everyone -- my only eating problem is that I still live at home because it's cheaper right now than an apartment and paying for school so what they eat I eat. I think I am going to try the Jillian 30 day shread or ripped in 30 before I buy insanity I've heard good things about both and FYE has them at the mall for like 10bucks. so more inexpensive than insanity.
  • joeysrib
    joeysrib Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Since you are wanting to focus on your hips and thighs, have you thought about trying Jillian's No More Trouble Spots? I haven't tried anything yet, but just a suggestion.
  • FrodoB
    FrodoB Posts: 19
    Options
    OK so I need help -- I'm thinking about purchasing one of the two. I do not know which one would be better -- I am a 21 year old woman 232lbs and carry about 70% of my weight in my hips and thighs. I want the one that will get rid of that fat. I WILL work my *kitten* off I just don't know what to get. HELP -- P.S. if there are any females that are shaped like me that have done it let me know your success stories -- ANY and ALL advice is appreciated -- Thanks!!!

I just finished a round of P90X and I'm into about week two of Insanity. I recommend starting with P90X. Insanity is great, but you have to be pretty good shape to get anything out of it, you can't just jump in. Honestly, If I hadn't just finished P90X I wouldn't be able to handle Insanity.

P90X is more of an overall fitness program, that will get you in shape in a lot of different ways. P90X is hard too, but I think a bit better for someone coming from a lower level of fitness. I'm doing Insanity right now and I love it, but from what you've said I think you'd get more benefit from P90X.
  • kesteele
    Options
    thank yall!!!!!
  • DawnMichelle68
    DawnMichelle68 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I started insanity i'm on week two.. I like it a lot.. I'm not one for doing the same thing everyday.. and insanity gives you a range that is familar but different from day to day.. then the second half of the program it's a whole new set of exercises.. I personally think that you can do insanity at any level.. you just have to know your limits.. and as long as you have the form down and don't try to be as fast as the people on dvd you will be fine.. know you will be slower then them.. and also know if you don't give up you will get better each time.... there is a fitness test you do on day one.. then about every two weeks you do it again.. there is a place to log your numbers on the calander.. I am looking forward to my next fit test to see how much I have improved.. the first week it was has hard for me to make it through the "warm up" without taking a quick breather.. but now I'm gaining more stamina as I continue.. if you like cardio, sweat, and pushing yourself.. insainity is awesome.