Shirataki

itnetpro
itnetpro Posts: 10
edited September 27 in Recipes
Came across a product called Miracle Noodle. Claims to have no calories or carbs. Thought the price was a bit high after adding shipping so did some homework and found the same product under a more generic name. http://www.asianfoodgrocer.com/product/jfc-white-shirataki-noodles. Skeptical I ordered 5 7oz packages and paid shipping.

These noodles are FANTASTIC! Come packaged in water. Take 2 minutes to boil and have no calories or net carbs. First I tried them with pasta sauce. Made 14oz and covered. Not only did they maintain their integrity but they actually soaked up the flavor and tasted awesome. Only downside is I think I ate to much because they seemed to expand in my stomach causing me to feel over full. Then today I cooked a 7oz bag and added two different kinds of cheese and tablespoon of I Can't believe its not butter and WOW!!! These noodles are amazing!

The only downside I found with this noodle is when you first open the package, the water has a fishy smell to it that's no longer detectable after boiling.

Wednesday, I plan to take the remaining 14oz of pasta and make a stir fry.

If you buy $100 or more from the company they waive the shipping charges making the cost for the noodles worth it. So far I only ordered the 7oz packs but they can be bought in 16oz packs as well. Just one word of caution, you think you can eat as much of this noodle as you would regular pasta but after you eat you will feel more full.

Check them out...

John

Replies

• AmyBMelt13
    AmyBMelt13 Posts: 20
    Thanks for the info. I was wondering about the Miracle Noodles since they are advertised on MFP. I might have to try the generic brand.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Hi,
    I buy these all the time at my local supermarket near the tofu products. I have made it like you would Top Ramen, I've made it like pasta with tomato sauce or an alfredo sauce too. I agree...from the package it has an unpleasant fishy kind of odor...but once you boil it, it goes away. I personally prefer the angel hair pasta because the larger noodles are too chewy for me. Sauces stick better if you drain the noodles and pat dry with a paper towel before adding sauce. Add a veggie chicken patty parm to noodles with tomato sauce and it can be quite satisfying.
  • vsetter
    vsetter Posts: 558 Member
    I like them too. I got the miracle noodles though because some of the other brands have soy in them (miracle noodle does not). I can't eat soy products. My hubby likes them too. He likes them best as a stir fry.
  • icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    I bought the actual konjac glucomannan powder they are made out of and have a recipe to make the noodles. I'll let you know what I think of them once I make them and how hard or easy they were to make. It's a lot cheaper in the powder form not to mention more versitile (such as insant pudding). So I'll make them soon and post an update on how it goes.
  • Des92
    Des92 Posts: 309 Member
    I like these noodles, but find them a bit chewy... I've found that if you skip the boiling part and just rinse them under hot water until the fishy smell goes away, then cut them into smaller pieces, they are much easier to chew.
  • icerose137
    Successfully made noodles today with the konjac powder. The recipe on the net was wrong, though, and the directions either incomplete, confusing, or flat out wrong. It was not 1/8th tsp pickling lime, 2 tsp konjac powder and 2 cups water. It was in fact 1/2 tsp pickling lime and 1 Tbsp konjac powder along with 2 cups water. There is a distinct fishy smell due to the pickling lime when putting this all together but as others have said you can rinse that away or boil them again.

Mix in the lime in the COLD water until there's no more powder left floating on top. Sprinkle and whisk in the konjac powder in the COLD lime water until fully mixed. Only then turn on the heat on medium. If you want small chunks of noodles, whisk throughout, if you want to cut it into your own shapes after it has hardened take out the whisk and don't disturb it again. Once it starts boiling set the timer for 3 minutes. Do not take it off before the three minutes are up, no matter how thick it's looking. At the end of the three minutes pour into another container. If you want to cut the noodles, try to flatten it as best you can in a pan of your choice. Cooking spray does wonders to keep it from sticking. If you whisked it for small balls of noodles during the boiling stage you can just toss it in a bowl and put it in the fridge. It will have some extra liquid with it. Be sure to rinse that off before cooking. Cut to desired shapes, wetting your blade with water between cuts for easy slicing. And then rinse and cook with whatever sauce you desire.

I plan on testing it by steaming it instead flat in a pan and see if I can't get the long flat noodles without having to try and cut it that thin, and I am also going to experiment making it with chicken broth instead of water and similar substances for preflavored noodles. I think chicken broth noodles would go fantastic in soup and chicken based casseroles but I haven't tried making them yet.
  • icerose137
    Part 2 of the expiriment. Cut up the noodles today and they were too mushy for my taste. My guess is I let them cure too thick. So I cut them up and pan heated them. They firmed right up. So if your noodles are too slimy or squishy even after you rinse them, put them on a pan for a while on medium heat, cook both sides and they firm right up while losing any slimy tendancies they might have.

ETA: Yes, I had cured them too thick because the ones I had whisked into balls of noodles weren't soft or mushy at all. So if you keep it thin your noodles will not be mushy and soft, but if you do get your noodles mushy and soft, simply pan heat them to get the excessive moisture out and they work just fine.

The reason I recommend getting the konjac powder is because a single bag at 19.00 a bag plus 5 dollars shipping can make about 50 lbs of noodles. It can also be used in a great deal of other things to help boost your fiber load the safe and enjoyable way.
  • boyslie72487
    boyslie72487 Posts: 181 Member
    definately going to get some of these considering i eat pasta at least twice a week! thanks!
This discussion has been closed.