What do you put on your pets for flea's?

Options
Ive got a new puppy...he's about three and a half months old...i posted not too long ago about potty training him and thats going good but now i can't seem to get rid of his flea's? Frontline and advantage isnt working. Ive heard about the vingar and water dip...thats not working either,it does kill the ones on him but as soon as he goes out to potty....he got them agian. My DH has bites all over his ankles:ohwell:

What do you use?

Replies

• punka274
    Options
    Ive got a new puppy...he's about three and a half months old...i posted not too long ago about potty training him and thats going good but now i can't seem to get rid of his flea's? Frontline and advantage isnt working. Ive heard about the vingar and water dip...thats not working either,it does kill the ones on him but as soon as he goes out to potty....he got them agian. My DH has bites all over his ankles:ohwell:

What do you use?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    You could spray or powder your lawn--at least the area where the dog goes. I've always had success with that stuff, can't remember the name, that comes in a tiny tube and you squeeze on their fur from their neck to their tail.
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Oh crud.... the dreaded double post, sorry :angry:
  • jamerz3294
    jamerz3294 Posts: 1,824 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... sounds like maybe you need to bug bomb the house? The fleas have probably laid eggs, and that's why hubby keeps getting bit in the ankles. We use Advantage, and haven't had a problem all summer.
  • pecksun8
    Options
    I know it sounds odd, but fleas can be killed with salt water. So if you live near the ocean, take your pup for a swim. If you don't, then Google the proportions of water to salt and give him a good bath. The really big thing is to treat your carpet! And keep putting the advantage or frontline on him, eventually it will start kicking in and the fleas won't stay attached when outside. Otherwise go to your vet and see what else they can recommend!

Amazingly we have never had a flea problem with any of our pets. The latest kitten we found had a few, but as soon as we brought him in, he went directly into a salt water bath, and then was hit with frontline. We haven't had a problem since.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    We had a flea battle back in June. :explode: They came out of no where, EVERYWHERE! We used the bug bombs TWICE and they didn't work. I did the vinegar & water thing....didn't help here. Someone told me to sprinkle Borax on the carpets to kill the eggs so I did that. Still had them everywhere. My last resort before calling in the Orkin man was a can of RAID Flea Spray in the purple can. IT WORKS like magic! I sprayed in the evening and by bedtime, NO FLEAS! I swear by this stuff.

Like you, we tried Advantage & all that stuff on our cat and it wasn't killing them. So I bought a $5 bottle of Hartz Flea Shampoo & it worked. You bath them in it every month and I haven't seen the first flea on our cat since then.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • punka274
    Options
    We had a flea battle back in June. :explode: They came out of no where, EVERYWHERE! We used the bug bombs TWICE and they didn't work. I did the vinegar & water thing....didn't help here. Someone told me to sprinkle Borax on the carpets to kill the eggs so I did that. Still had them everywhere. My last resort before calling in the Orkin man was a can of RAID Flea Spray in the purple can. IT WORKS like magic! I sprayed in the evening and by bedtime, NO FLEAS! I swear by this stuff.

Like you, we tried Advantage & all that stuff on our cat and it wasn't killing them. So I bought a $5 bottle of Hartz Flea Shampoo & it worked. You bath them in it every month and I haven't seen the first flea on our cat since then.

I may try the raid flea spray and the hartz shampoo.....what kind of fleas spray is it...i mean do i just walk around the house spraying the carpet?

Thanks everybody for your replies....
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Flame Thrower...it's the only way to be sure....

(just kidding, yeah, I agree Hartz seems to work pretty well, as does 'Spot On', just be caredul putting adult k9 flea remover on puppies, the chemicals can really burn their skin badly if they have a reaction to it)
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options

12412695_400x400.jpg

I don't think Mathilda would approve...
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options

12412695_400x400.jpg

*moves slightly to your left to take advantage of your inability to turn your head....*

Excellent.
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options

12412695_400x400.jpg

*moves slightly to your left to take advantage of your inability to turn your head....*

Excellent.

:laugh: :laugh: silly lovebirds!
  • Manda86
    Manda86 Posts: 1,859 Member
    Options
    FOUL!!!

foul.jpeg
  • Katy009
    Katy009 Posts: 579 Member
    Options
    Hmmmm... sounds like maybe you need to bug bomb the house? The fleas have probably laid eggs, and that's why hubby keeps getting bit in the ankles. We use Advantage, and haven't had a problem all summer.

This is most likely the problem. We had this problem one time about 5 years ago. I had exterminators come in and even that was not enough. We eventually had to leave the house for one week so that no animals or people were in for them to bite and to lay eggs. A flea can lay 50 eggs per day. Then I had to wash literally everything when we got home again. It's a huge pain in the butt. If you look around your house very closely, you can tell if they are everywhere or not. Especially if you have hardwood floors ... they live in the cracks. Yuck....I have to stop, I'm getting itchy remembering! Good luck!

Oh...now we use frontline spray and have never had them again :smile:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Yes, you definitely need to treat your house and lawn and once that is done then keep treating your pet monthly and the house every once in a while. We have used frontline but now get hartz ultra guard, it is cheaper and works just as well. And then it doesnt hurt that my husband is in pest control and treats the lawn once in a while. We've never had any problems. I will ask him later on for advice. :flowerforyou:
  • chipper15173
    chipper15173 Posts: 3,981 Member
    Options
    here in SC they use dawn dish soap on their huntin' dogs. bath them with it, and mix it up in a sprayer and spray the yard. my DH is a commercial bug man and he says that fleas are one of the hardest bugs to kill.
    good luck i know i just killed a flea on me and told DH he better get to spaying the yard.
  • Losing_It
    Losing_It Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options

I may try the raid flea spray and the hartz shampoo.....what kind of fleas spray is it...i mean do i just walk around the house spraying the carpet?

Thanks everybody for your replies....

The can sprays a wide path and you spray EVERY piece of carpet in your house...under the beds..everywhere.