Vegetarian or Not?

Options
2»

Replies

• kelsully
    kelsully Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about labels..eat what makes you feel good. I would be a85% of the time an ovo/lacto vegetarian..ie I eat animal protein from dairy and eggs but no meat...the other 15% of the time I am a pescatarian...ie...I will eat fish...there are great proteins...quinoa, beans, peanut butter, nuts etc...you can do it
  • darkhorse43
    darkhorse43 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Vegan = no animal products (eggs, dairy) and no meat.

Vegetarian = no meat (eggs and dairy are included in the diet).

Even eating vegetarian a little bit more than you do now has a positive impact on the environment, and probably on your body, too.

Vegan proteins include beans, soy, nuts and nut butters.

Vegetarian proteins include the vegan proteins listed above, as well as dairy and eggs.

and I will break that down further

lacto-ovo vegetarian - will eat dairy and eggs but no animal flesh
    pescetarian - will eat fish
    not sure for the chicken thing - I think once your at chicken you are just simply someone who avoids red meat/pork

remember rice and beans together is a complete protein- why not try to make a few vegetarian recipes and see what you like, increasing your ratio of vegetarian dishes to non-vegetarian dishes slowly until you find the balance that's right for you?

good luck!

They actually have a name for the chicken/fish eating people who are mainly vegetarian. I personally think it's kinda silly but they are called flexatarians.
  • TriPixie
    TriPixie Posts: 28
    Options
    I guess it depends on if you are interested in identifying yourself with a specific social group or if you are concerned with good health...vegan, veggie, ovo-lacto, pescetarian...does it really matter what you are calling yourself??

*sorry*

Personally - I try to make one Vegetarian supper, one with Fish as a main dish, and try not to over do it with the beef during the week. We eat a lot of beans, quinuoa, and cous-cous as they are relatively inexpensive and high in protein and fiber. I think if more folks realized that they don't need a "meat dish" at every meal, there would be more variety in their diets = better health.

:)
  • Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    Hi Everyone

Thanks for your thoughts. I eat pretty healthily and would quite easily have meat free days. I'm not interested in being labelled but just wanted clarification from you guys, who's input I rely on, to help me understand what is and what isn't a vegetarian. I found some absolutley amazing meat free recipes on here which I'll be giving a go.
    Thank you all.
  • irishblonde2011
    irishblonde2011 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Vegan = no animal products (eggs, dairy) and no meat.

Vegetarian = no meat (eggs and dairy are included in the diet).

That's how I define it. I don't care if you are lacto-ovo, pescatarian, etc. The labels get kind of annoying. If you eat fish, you are NOT a vegetarian. Not sure why some people think they can call themselves vegetarian just because they don't eat beef or chicken. Fish have faces, they are an animal too.

Agreed.

I think people who call themselves vegetarians but eat fish/chicken/etc just confuse everyone.
    Hence why when i say i am a vegetarian i get the "do you eat fish" EMM NO!!