low-carb/not reaching calorie goal

Options
I am starting a low carb diet to try and lose 3-5lbs. by june 17th (going to cabo!). I am having a hard time sticking to under 50g carbs per day and still reaching my calorie goal (1300). Any suggestions?

Replies

• Felesina1
    Felesina1 Posts: 142
    Options
    Eating low carb can be frustrating, but it does work as long as you are adding exercise to your life also. I lost 150# over several years by eating this way. I refused to do the strict Adkins or Southbeach as I never wanted to count anything. So I learned what I needed to eliminate from my diet and made allowances for things that I wanted (in moderation AND without guilt). Thus, I learned that low carb burgers (Carl's Jr) or eating hamburgers with fork/knife was just as good as eating it with a bun. I learned that I there is a large selection of low-carb options in places like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's OR just getting a couple good low-carb cookbooks to help with variety. But variety is important. My cholesterol decreased, I didn't have ketoacidosis, or any of the nasty side-effects from a strict no-carb or low-carb diet. Good luck!
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Eating low carb can be frustrating, but it does work as long as you are adding exercise to your life also. I lost 150# over several years by eating this way. I refused to do the strict Adkins or Southbeach as I never wanted to count anything. So I learned what I needed to eliminate from my diet and made allowances for things that I wanted (in moderation AND without guilt). Thus, I learned that low carb burgers (Carl's Jr) or eating hamburgers with fork/knife was just as good as eating it with a bun. I learned that I there is a large selection of low-carb options in places like Whole Foods or Trader Joe's OR just getting a couple good low-carb cookbooks to help with variety. But variety is important. My cholesterol decreased, I didn't have ketoacidosis, or any of the nasty side-effects from a strict no-carb or low-carb diet. Good luck!

Thx fpr the advice and insight! Do you thin under 50 carbs per day is a good goal to see results?
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    If you are eating fruit or dairy, limit it or cut it out all together. That should reduce your carb intake. Veggies don't have much carbs, but they will give you fiber and nutrients. Also, increase your meat and egg intake. I have found that if I am full of protein and fat then I have less temptations to eat other sugary things. On my good days I am under 75g carbs for my 2000 calorie diet, but I feel amazing when I keep it under 50. Good luck!
  • LisaKyle11
    LisaKyle11 Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    If you are eating fruit or dairy, limit it or cut it out all together. That should reduce your carb intake. Veggies don't have much carbs, but they will give you fiber and nutrients. Also, increase your meat and egg intake. I have found that if I am full of protein and fat then I have less temptations to eat other sugary things. On my good days I am under 75g carbs for my 2000 calorie diet, but I feel amazing when I keep it under 50. Good luck!

I have eaten fairly low carb the past couple of days (50ish-75ish) and honestly, I've felt pretty awful. Maybe my body is just getting used to the idea of not having the carbs/sugars. I have felt sluggish and hazy. Anybody else have experience with feeling not so amazing when just starting or trying out cutting carbs (pretty substantially)?
  • markhensler
    Options
    Eat more fat.
  • rachpiper720
    rachpiper720 Posts: 204
    Options
    I did at first, and it took a couple days to get over it. For some people it takes a few good weeks. The trick is to stick to it with no cheating. Once you kick over to complete fat burning mode, then your energy picks up. Eating more fat will definitely help. Sneak in coconut oil whenever you can or eat an extra slice of bacon here and there. I have heard that going very low carb (under 20g/day) can speed up the process. Also, if you can swing it, exercising will help. It is weird when it happens because it is like getting your second wind. Good luck!
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    You need to eat calorie dense food (i.e. fat).
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options

I have eaten fairly low carb the past couple of days (50ish-75ish) and honestly, I've felt pretty awful. Maybe my body is just getting used to the idea of not having the carbs/sugars. I have felt sluggish and hazy. Anybody else have experience with feeling not so amazing when just starting or trying out cutting carbs (pretty substantially)?

I could never do it.
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options
    I eat under 50g/daily and yes, it takes a while to get used to, but once you are used to it, try eating too many carbs and THEN, then you'll really feel like crap.
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    .... I didn't have ketoacidosis, or any of the nasty side-effects from a strict no-carb or low-carb diet. Good luck!

First off ketoacidosis is a serious condition resulting from diabetes, not from a low carb diet. Low carb diets put you into ketosis which are two entirely different things.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    WOW. Check this site out bud.. Good reading.

http://www.lowcarbfoods.org/role+of+insulin+when+on+low+carb+diet/

I am not nessesarily saying anything. But, just thought it was interesting reading about low carb dieting. Making me think twice about low carbing.

Some misleading stuff on that website. When in a ketogenic state, one would assume that plenty of protein was being consumed.

To the OP: If you are keeping carbs under 50g, then yeah, satisfying your caloric target will be a challenge (the true dynamic behind why low carb diets work). I'm also on a low carb diet, but not because I believe in any of the insulinogenic effects, but more because I'm trying to lose weight while sparing protein (minimize muscle loss). I find that eating low carb protein shakes helps a lot. Eventually, I'm going to have to ditch the chicken breasts and opt for fattier cuts to meat too, because eating enough food is starting to become really difficult for me.
  • jessicazanebell
    jessicazanebell Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    WOW. Check this site out bud.. Good reading.

http://www.lowcarbfoods.org/role+of+insulin+when+on+low+carb+diet/

I am not nessesarily saying anything. But, just thought it was interesting reading about low carb dieting. Making me think twice about low carbing.

Some misleading stuff on that website. When in a ketogenic state, one would assume that plenty of protein was being consumed.

To the OP: If you are keeping carbs under 50g, then yeah, satisfying your caloric target will be a challenge (the true dynamic behind why low carb diets work). I'm also on a low carb diet, but not because I believe in any of the insulinogenic effects, but more because I'm trying to lose weight while sparing protein (minimize muscle loss). I find that eating low carb protein shakes helps a lot. Eventually, I'm going to have to ditch the chicken breasts and opt for fattier cuts to meat too, because eating enough food is starting to become really difficult for me.

Thx for the info! I switched my percentage of carbs to be around 50g but mfp only increased my protein so I was unsure if i was supposed to be eating more fats too, so this was helpfull!
  • suzzett
    suzzett Posts: 1
    Options
    I'm a bit confused...are you cutting out complex carbs, like rice, bread, pasta, etc. or simple carbs, like veggies, fruits, beans, etc. or both?