1 mile race?

toadiejones
toadiejones Posts: 605 Member
edited September 27 in Fitness and Exercise
I am currently on Week 5 of C25K and there is a race near me coming up on Father's Day. They have a 5M run, 5M walk, 1M run, 1M walk, and a kidsprint option. No way I can do the 5 mile but I was considering trying the 1 mile as my very first race. But I was wondering (and I feel like this is a stupid questions), is that for regular adults? I am imaging that I sign up, arrive and....am running with kids or teens. It doesn't say anything about age but I guess I just haven't seen adults running a 1 mile race before. Do you do them?

Thanks!

Replies

• Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    I would have thought there would be adults, but probably "sprinters".
  • bmfrazie
    bmfrazie Posts: 2,380 Member
    The races I have seen with this option normally have kids/teens running the mile and walkers. I am sure it will be no biggie though if you opt to do it. Maybe you could get a friend or someone to do it with you?
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    personally I would aim for either the 5 mile walk or run, and do it interval style - running less than you are walking. I suspect the 1miler could be adults sprinting and for me that would be disheartening.

good for you!
  • Bakins929
    Bakins929 Posts: 895 Member
    I agree with girlinahat, nothing worse than the race being complete in 5 minutes and you are not even 1/2 way finished. My first 1/2 marathon was like that, the truck picking up traffic cones was following me, I was dead last... They had even closed up all of the water tables. Very disheartening, but I finished the race!
  • toadiejones
    toadiejones Posts: 605 Member
    Thanks you guys! I never thought of the "sprinters". That would kind of suck being left in the dust. Bakins - how sad that they didn't support you to the very end! But how awesome that you finished it! Great job! Anyway, I think that I will pass this one and focus on a 5k later in the summer.

Thanks for the help!
This discussion has been closed.