Article about eating back calories burned

Options
2»

Replies

• natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a NET goal. That means eat back your exercise calories. (Not that that's gospel. Just explaining the MFP approach.)

I've lost 40 lbs. in the last 5 months by always eating back 100% of my exercise calories and I always feel awesome. Just sayin'. :)

This!

The article even says that if you are eating your normal calories (not a reduced number), that eating back 50% of them is fine.

I lost 20lbs with NOT eating them back in 3 weeks.

Did you take your body composition before and after? Did you retain all of your lean body weight?
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you a NET goal. That means eat back your exercise calories. (Not that that's gospel. Just explaining the MFP approach.)

I've lost 40 lbs. in the last 5 months by always eating back 100% of my exercise calories and I always feel awesome. Just sayin'. :)

This!

The article even says that if you are eating your normal calories (not a reduced number), that eating back 50% of them is fine.

Did you take your body composition before and after? Did you retain all of your lean body weight?

No I didn't take those type of measurements. I can just tell by how my body looks it's not much from muscle mass. I take a biochemical approach to weight loss. That helps preserves muscle. Using Growth hormone to my advantage, used naturally by the way you diet. Eating increases insulin which is a storage hormone, which will store fat if your muscle stores are full of glycogen.

Here is a link, it demonstrates that people can be on a 800 calorie diet with out losing muscle mass. I believe they lost 25lbs in a month? Maybe in 6 weeks, I don't remember. Keep in mind, I am highly against eating calories that low, it's unhealthy for people who aren't under 100lbs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options

This!

No I didn't take those type of measurements. I can just tell by how my body looks it's not much from muscle mass. I take a biochemical approach to weight loss. That helps preserves muscle. Using Growth hormone to my advantage, used naturally by the way you diet. Eating increases insulin which is a storage hormone, which will store fat if your muscle stores are full of glycogen.

Here is a link, it demonstrates that people can be on a 800 calorie diet with out losing muscle mass. I believe they lost 25lbs in a month? Maybe in 6 weeks, I don't remember. Keep in mind, I am highly against eating calories that low, it's unhealthy for people who aren't under 100lbs.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10204826

Without taking your body composition before and after weight loss, it's impossible to determine by "looks" whether you've retained all of your lean body mass. The bulk of what you lost might be fat and water, which likely caused greater definition of the muscle you retained. Good luck in your continued journey.
  • kimgriff
    kimgriff Posts: 14
    Options
    As I said originally, just FYI. I understand there's more than one side to this debate, just like there's more than one side to the science of losing weight. Each person needs to figure out what works for them and then do it. I just put it out there for everyone...

Good luck and enjoy what the day brings!
  • yusineddy
    yusineddy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    bump
  • L_mills
    L_mills Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It has taken me the longest time to figure out whether or not to eat back the calories I burned off or not....you just cleared it up for me, and with your weight loss success I trust you!!! Great advise/ explanation!!!! Thank you!!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Thanks, but I'm just going to keep doing what's working for me, and that's eating them back :-)