Fruits and the Sugars Hidden within

hanson22
hanson22 Posts: 24 Member
edited September 27 in Health and Weight Loss
So I have been on this site for about a month now, and as I have made the transition into eating less "bready" and "Pasta-ish" carbs and sweets, I have realized that instead, I turn to fruits.

Like last night. I would have killed to eat some ice cream or something naughty.

But instead, I cut up some mango and put it over greek yogurt.

Amazing.

I was, however, astonished to find, at the end of my day, that my sugar intake was really high!

Like, as high as someone who doesn't watch what they eat....

I have heard so many facts and figures concerning the sugar thing late at night, and I know that I need to cut out a lot of high sugar fruit so that I don't plateau at this pivotal point of my weight loss...

9 days out from Miss Ohio! Ahhh!!!

Also, I am concerned about what limiting fruits will do to my ability to resist other foods...

I don't know, any ideas on what substitutions I should make or if I should cut out fruits at all?

Remember, guys, I'm all about moderation and enjoying things in balance in the off-season, but right now I need to cut and shape my body and have to eat the right things to do so.

Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Fruit is full of fructose (ie. sugar). And it's delicious. You made a great choice in chosing fruit and yogurt over something you shouldn't have had. Eat your calories (and your sugar) whenever you want. It's the amount of calories you take in versus what you burn off that determines your continued weight loss. Believe it or not, you could eat McDonald's all day every day and still lose weight if you continued to work out.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    I read an article recently where a doctor was talking about fruit. He basically said "show me someone that got diabetes from too many strawberries and I'll eat my hat!"

Fruits are an essential part of life, and the sugar is natural. Don't cut fruit out of your diet. It does so many good things for you! Antioxidants, fiber, vitamins. Places on the planet where people live the longest would never think of cutting fruits and veggies out of their diets. :)

P.S. Mango and Greek yogurt are both excellent for you. If you're worried about the sugar in that snack just cut the portion in 1/2 and save 1/2 for the next day.
  • inafit16177
    inafit16177 Posts: 84
    BUMP
  • meinco
    meinco Posts: 62 Member
    I read an article recently where a doctor was talking about fruit. He basically said "show me someone that got diabetes from too many strawberries and I'll eat my hat!"

LOL
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    While I totally agree with Onesnap, I'm trying not to eat all my snacks as fruit, but have some fruit and some nuts. That reduces my overall sugar level, but gives me enough fruit and veg, and some good fats etc too. Plus nuts seem to fill me up more.
  • mlemonroe2
    mlemonroe2 Posts: 603
    i just read (literally 3 minutes ago) that strawberrys are one of the lowest sugar fruits. However, I wouldn't ever worry about sugar you consume in fresh, raw fruit. It's the refined or white stuff you should worry about. I have never looked closely at my sugar intake. I know I am over every day. I am still losing and anytime I have ever plateaued, changing my workout and upping my calorie intake for a few days has worked. I have never changed my sugar intake.
This discussion has been closed.