so frustrated!!

Options
nikibob
nikibob Posts: 165 Member
i posted on here about being frustrated that my weight loss has stalled--a mere 5 pounds from my goal. the general consensus was that i needed to up my calorie intake from 1200 to 1400 and expect it to come off more slowly. well i've done that over the last 4-5 days and all i got when i weighed this morning was to gain a pound back up to 137... maybe it will take longer but should i really be seeing an increase?? i'm just so frustrated! thanks in advance for your help.

Replies

• MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    did you put your loss to 0.5 a week? If you haven't, do that & eat ALL those calories. If you're burning during exercise, make sure you're eating all of those calories as well.
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    Don't live or die by the scale. Your weight will fluctuate, but it will fall over time.
  • nikibob
    Options
    i did put my loss at .5 a week and that's what upped my calories to 1400 and i do always eat most of my exercie calories back. i work hard for those! lol
  • kateq321
    kateq321 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi Nikibob

I hear you, it is really, really frustrating when that happens. However the scales aren't the be all and end all...have you taken any of your measurements lately?? I've found in the past that when I'm exercising I might not lose a single lb but I do lose inches because I'm toning up.
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    There will definitely be times when you are toning up with muscle but not losing "weight". Remember, the goal is to lose fat, not weight.
  • Hodar
    Hodar Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Yes, it's frustrating; but do you seriously care what the scale says .... or do you care how your clothes fit and how you look?

Muscle is denser than fat; and muscle is what gives us that 'toned look' we all want. You want to look GOOD - so you are exercising, and when you exercise, you build lean mass. The fat goes away, the muscle starts to fill in those areas that were full of fat.

So, be patient ... it will all happen, it's quite inevitable. Remember, you are consuming LESS energy than you are expending weight loss is inevitable. Now, couple that with the fact that you are gaining muscle mass.

This is where taking out the tape, and measuring yourself will show you the perks; that the scale will not. The scale is a stupid instrument, that measures whatever lunk of mass is placed on the platform - it doesn't know, or care, if you are a super-model, an obese 12 yr old, or a chunk of cheese. It simply says what the load on the platform weighs.

But, how do you look? Do you look better? Can you see the muscles in your belly? Are your legs nice and toned?

Chances are they are.
  • nikibob
    Options
    thank you everyone for your input! i really appreciate it! i know that i shouldn't focus so much on the number but it's just that i'm so close i can taste it! lol you have helped me see that i shouldn't be frustrated at all--i should be proud that i'm finally looking and feeling the way i've been dreaming about! thank you!!