Plateau--please help!

Options
I'm relatively new to MFP, any help you can provide would be much appreciated! I'm about 5'9, started losing weight in January after going onto medication for severely low iron, then got serious in mid-March. Since January I've lost about 17 pounds, but for the past few weeks I haven't been losing at all. So I was wondering, what's worked for all of you? Especially anyone out there who may have similar stats?

Replies

• bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    Approximately how many calories are you eating every day?
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    What weight did you start at?
    What weight are you now?
    What is your daily caloric intake?
    Are you eating back your exercise calories?
    What type of workouts are you doing?
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    If you're not doing these things already:

1. Strength train, low reps and heavy weights.
    2. Eat adequate amounts of protein. Approximately 1g per pound of body weight.
    3. Drink lots of water. Lots and lots and lots.
    4. Take vitamins and EFAs.
    5. Don't starve yourself. 1200 isn't enough.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I am 5'7" and lost 15 pounds before I plateaued (I have 30 pounds to lose total). I am finally losing again, thank goodness! Here is a thread I started when I finally busted through my six week plateau:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/248810-six-week-plateau-busted-yay
  • stronger_faster
    Options
    What weight did you start at? 245
    What weight are you now? 228
    What is your daily caloric intake? between 1100-1800
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? I try to, but I'm not always able to do so, especially if I exercise a lot.
    What type of workouts are you doing? I've been doing the 30 Day Shred for the month of May with some 2 mile runs a few times a week, but before that I was mostly running ~3 miles 4 days/week, lifting weights, going to yoga once a week, and hiking from time to time.
    Looking back over my food diary I realized that I don't always hit my net calorie goal, but I do get close to it. However, I don't generally eat the full amount of carbs and fat--could that be a problem?

What are EFAs?
    Thank you for all of the answers so far! =]
  • bwalters82
    bwalters82 Posts: 95
    Options
    Not eating your net calorie goal could be it. A lot of people will see plateaus because they are not eating enough. Carbs are important! Your body needs the energy to keep your metabolism going. Try consistantly hitting your food goal, and see if you get results. You are doing great!
  • oddyogi
    oddyogi Posts: 1,816 Member
    Options
    What weight did you start at? 245
    What weight are you now? 228
    What is your daily caloric intake? between 1100-1800
    Are you eating back your exercise calories? I try to, but I'm not always able to do so, especially if I exercise a lot.
    What type of workouts are you doing? I've been doing the 30 Day Shred for the month of May with some 2 mile runs a few times a week, but before that I was mostly running ~3 miles 4 days/week, lifting weights, going to yoga once a week, and hiking from time to time.
    Looking back over my food diary I realized that I don't always hit my net calorie goal, but I do get close to it. However, I don't generally eat the full amount of carbs and fat--could that be a problem?

What are EFAs?
    Thank you for all of the answers so far! =]

Essential Fatty Acids. You can either take supplements or make sure you get lots of healthy fats in your diet (nuts & fish). :)
  • tlp8rb
    tlp8rb Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Calorie cycling provides same amount of calories per week, but 'tricks' your body by constantly changing daily calories. This helps to prevent or break plateaus. To calculate a calorie cycle for yourself, visit the following website. I love that it gives me a few extra calories on Saturday so we can go out to eat and have a few more choices.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • stronger_faster
    Options
    Thanks, everyone! I am trying to up my intake and I changed my goal to losing 1.5 pounds/week to see if that will help!