Quitting smoking

Options
Before i post, I ask that y'all don't post anything nasty about smoking. Its gross, we get it, but people still do it and i've reached my time to quit.

So, along with tackling weight loss, i'm trying to go 100% healthy and quit smoking. Am I all at once taking on too much? Should i lose the weight and taper smoking hoping that the diet and exercise change will have a reverse psychlogy effect on smoking? who has a similar success store for motivation?

Replies

• BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    If you are ready to quit then you can do it. I quit last year and breathing, tasting, and sleeping have never been so good. Good luck to you. The grass truly is greener on the other side.
  • Behavioral
    Behavioral Posts: 60
    Options
    I chose to start training for a marathon. I quit smoking and started MFP at the same time as well as started training. Seems to have taken this time, and I've been able to quit and lose weight. Honestly, though, still not sure how.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I started smoking when i was 16. i quit last year i also gained 30 lbs and was up to 216 when i started this journey.. they can go hand in hand but keep in mind that if you are trying to do any kind of cardio while still smoking it's going to be hard to keep your breathing under control.. i was a serious smoker pack or more per day.. i quit using chantix... you can friend me if you want some extra motivation would be happy to help...
    my quit date was 4/2/2010...
  • AudgePaudge
    AudgePaudge Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    After 7 years of smoking, I was finally able to quit for good. I love being able to walk up the stairs and not get winded. I know this sounds awful, but for me it was easier to wait until I got sick, and then quit smoking cold turkey. For some reason I had no desire to smoke while I had a cold, and it made it so much easier to quit! I wish you the best of luck!! I know you can do it!
  • CarolMorris66
    Options
    Go for it.... quit

I quit smoking 18th June 2007 and its the best thing I ever did... during the following July/August/September/October, my dog died, I filed for divorce, sold my house and moved and STILL didn't start again and if I can do it... anybody can....

Good luck... you won't regret it!

and remember... that first week is hard, but it does get easier!
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    I don't have a success story to share because I haven't quit yet... I've cut waaaay back, and am "prepping" to quit tomorrow. From what I understand, quitting is associated with weight gain because people tend to eat more when craving a cigarette. I'm planning on keeping a bunch of healthy, low-calorie snacks around so I won't see a gain from eating junk food. And gum helps, of course.
    I'd say quitting is a priority over weight-loss because its much more damaging to your health, along with all the other negatives of smoking. Plus, if you quit then you'll theoretically be able to exercise longer and harder which will aid in dropping pounds.
    Again, take all that with a grain of salt as I haven't successfully quit yet... but best of luck to you! Kick those butts! :wink:
  • notOpel
    notOpel Posts: 46
    Options
    Go for it.... quit

I quit smoking 18th June 2007 and its the best thing I ever did... during the following July/August/September/October, my dog died, I filed for divorce, sold my house and moved and STILL didn't start again and if I can do it... anybody can....

Good luck... you won't regret it!

and remember... that first week is hard, but it does get easier!
    Thanks, good motivation! I keep telling myself "I'll quit when things aren't so stressful" but the fact is theres ALWAYS a stress-factor in most people's lives! Time to kick the habit!
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the instant motivation!!! I'm gonna try tapering off for a few weeks and see where I'm at. Thanks again, and send me an add if you wanna keep motivating me : )

Ashley
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I smoked from the age of 15 to the age of 46. If you are going to quit smoking just quit no tapering off I just did not buy them quit cold turkey so did my husband and my parent that had smoked non-filter pall malls for at least 50 years. If it takes a patch or what ever do it. My problem was what to do with my hands they were no longer holding a cigarette so use carrots or celery or a pencil just so have something to hold if that is a problem for you. If you want to smoke or eat just go for a small walk or pull some weeds (you get the idea) best wishes
  • brattyworm
    brattyworm Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    You can do anything you put your mind to and really want. Its all about determination.

The same thing that goes with putting on the weight and taking it of applies here. You didn't become a however many a day smoker over night, so it will take time and will power to stop that.

But if you're doing an entire lifestyle change why not do it all at once. Then you can feel good about what you're doing. If you fall off of either wagon, your entire MFP support group will be there for you. Thats what they're there for, no matter the cause.

So good luck.
  • Behavioral
    Behavioral Posts: 60
    Options
    Also, I restarted Wellbutrin, AKA Zyban, so it felt like no stress at all. I just "forgot" to smoke most days. Now it's a habit.
  • BamBam1113
    BamBam1113 Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    After 7 years of smoking, I was finally able to quit for good. I love being able to walk up the stairs and not get winded. I know this sounds awful, but for me it was easier to wait until I got sick, and then quit smoking cold turkey. For some reason I had no desire to smoke while I had a cold, and it made it so much easier to quit! I wish you the best of luck!! I know you can do it!

That's exactly how I quit. I got sick with a chest cold for about 4-5 days and just decided when i got better I wasn't picking them back up. My last smoke was Dec. 10, 2010.
  • The_Saint
    The_Saint Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking 2 months after I started fitness.
    I have this problem where I analyze everything. And here is what I got to thinking.
    I'm changing my body, the impact is going to have
    1> hormonal changes (impact cellular reproduction and protein synthesis)
    2> nutritional changes (increase protein demand)
    3> smoking/chewing tobacco deteriorates cells faster that without exposure
    4> cancer = out of control cell replication

I also had to realized that I was looking for an 'aid' to stop smoking. Then the epiphany happened. I asked myself why am I looking for a substitute? Either I'm committed to it, or I'm not. That is the harsh duality of the situation. So I did more research, I googled things like 'how long does nicotine stay in your system', 'how long is the brain dependent on nicotine'.

August 20th 2009 I gave up nicotine. The most difficult thing I ever gave up with success. I have tried caffeine, heh, seems like that one is like trying to give up sodium.

Ultimately, you are in control. You can park an ambulance at the bottom of the cliff, or construct a fence at the top. Proactive, or reactive approach.

I wish you the best my friend, and if you need support from me. Add me, I'll do what I can.