eating exercise calories?

Options
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I notice that the calories I burn exercising are automatically added to my calories for the day. Am I supposed to eat them if I still want to lose?

thanks! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• vegasmellie
    vegasmellie Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm sure this question has been asked a million times, but I notice that the calories I burn exercising are automatically added to my calories for the day. Am I supposed to eat them if I still want to lose?

thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    It would depend on your daily calorie intake. For instance, I am eating 1500 calories a day (not including exercise calories) so if I eat the 1500 then burn 300 without eating them, I am still okay. If you are a 1200 calorie dieter than you need to eat what you burned off because anything less than 1200 is considered starvation and it's not good for your body. Does this help?
  • vegasmellie
    Options
    thanks for that link! I didn't see a search on here.
  • vegasmellie
    Options
    thanks red. yes, I'm doing the 1200 cal/day plan. so if I burn 400 cal on the elliptical, I need to eat it back! strange concept, but I think I'm getting it. :wink:
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    It would depend on your daily calorie intake. For instance, I am eating 1500 calories a day (not including exercise calories) so if I eat the 1500 then burn 300 without eating them, I am still okay. If you are a 1200 calorie dieter than you need to eat what you burned off because anything less than 1200 is considered starvation and it's not good for your body. Does this help?

No--there is a built in deficit set by MFP already to get you to the level to lose weight, so you should eat enough to get you back up to your MFP goals. If you miss a 100 or 200 or so here and there, no biggie. But it should not be a daily thing. And, 1200 is a limit that most people should not try. That is a severe deficit for many and really should be used only by those with a lot to lose, such as me. But even I don't do 1200 anymore.