Zumba Does it work????

Options
Hi, I been crazy about biggest loser workouts and I still am but I love to dance and was a dancer for awhile when I was growing up until I had a bad accident in class and I hurt my back very bad. I have been very wary of buying anything on TV since I bought WEN. I mean WEN does work just not as great as they say and no way the small bottle on the commercial is a 30 day supply. So I see the Zumba commercials all the time and I was think of getting it but then I don't want to be disappointed. Also I have a PS3 with the camera thing and I was thinking of buying the game but then I don't know. Please am looking for help thanks :)

Replies

• ProTFitness
    ProTFitness Posts: 1,379 Member
    Options
    ANYTHING WORKS WHEN YOU DO IT!
  • angiesteele
    angiesteele Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    So many people have lost weight on Zumba. If you love to dance then it is a great workout. I personally dont care for it but that is just becasue I do not dance at all LOL
  • kellyscomeback
    kellyscomeback Posts: 1,369 Member
    Options
    It's a lot of fun! I got the DVD set with the toning sticks for $50 off Ebay.
  • cspinney
    cspinney Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Agree with poster who said any exercise works as long as you do it. Zumba is lots of fun, which makes it easy to do. Not everyone likes choreographed cardio, but if you like dance you'd probably like zumba.

If you search youtube you can find videos of people doing zumba - might give you an idea of what it's like.
  • suzksell
    suzksell Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work with a certified Zumba instructor. She started off taking the classes and lost a lot of weight...that's what motivated her to teach it. I recently ordered the program and can't wait to try it.
  • farmers_daughter
    farmers_daughter Posts: 1,632 Member
    Options
    I will be trying it out tonight for the first time, so I'll let you know. I'll be doing it at our local YMCA. I used to be a cheerleader, and I actually use some of the old dance moves from our routines to create my own "workout". Just jam around looking like an idiot, but hey, it gets me moving...and that's some of what counts. (I hope anyway) :)
  • tuprnena
    tuprnena Posts: 4
    Options
    I currently have the zumba for the wii. It is great as long as you are doing it right and enjoying the work outs. But its a great way to boost up your cardio workout.
  • stephanielynn76
    stephanielynn76 Posts: 709 Member
    Options
    I can't say much about the videos as I have no experience with them... but the live Zumba classes are AWESOME and they are a huge part of my workout routines. I try to go 4-5 times per week. I love to dance so it is definitely right up my alley. I was joking with my husband saying that if I don't have time during the week to work all my muscle groups I often leave off abs because I'm doing so much ab work during Zumba. I exaggerate the moves so much sometimes that my abs actually get sore from it.

Having said that... if I didn't have access to a live class I'd consider one of the video-game options before the videos. I've thought of getting Zumba for the WII just for fun. :)
  • Achlys101
    Achlys101 Posts: 44
    Options
    Well the game seems to be as much as the complete pack of dvds on ebay. So maybe I will buy them off ebay. Thanks I just wanted to know how others feel.
  • kimblync
    kimblync Posts: 1
    Options
    I love Zumba! I take a class every Friday, and I ussually burn between 300 and 400 calories for 45 minutes. Since you love to dance, you won't even realize the time that is going by. You can burn that many calories as long as you are giving your best effort.
  • lipglossjunky73
    lipglossjunky73 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    I agree that anything works if you do it consistently. I'm a Zumba instructor, so I love this workout.

However, I find that at some point, you may need to incorporate other types of workouts to complement your program and get a more well rounded program for yourself.
  • LovelySpirit
    Options
    Agree with poster who said any exercise works as long as you do it. Zumba is lots of fun, which makes it easy to do. Not everyone likes choreographed cardio, but if you like dance you'd probably like zumba.

If you search youtube you can find videos of people doing zumba - might give you an idea of what it's like.

That will get you motivated... search youtube.. Zumba is everywhere and some lengthy work outs.. You will love it , if you love to dance ;)..
  • fanceegirl75
    fanceegirl75 Posts: 620 Member
    Options
    I absolutely LOVE Zumba. I have a dvd that I do at home as well as taking classes at my gym. It's a great workout. Awesome for the core.
  • BlueEyedMomma88
    BlueEyedMomma88 Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    I bought the DVD game for Wii and I have absolutley no rythym and cant do it. Im really good at Just Dance tho LOL :laugh:
  • SweetLe
    SweetLe Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I LOVE Zumba. I prefer the going to the classes over doing it at home. I didnt like the DVD's.
    Good Luck!
  • MsTamzyK
    MsTamzyK Posts: 45
    Options
    I love ZUMBA...yes it works...you will sweat your butt off within the first 30 minutes...I hate exercising so this is a great disguise!!!! I go to the 24hr fitness...they have zumba 7 days a week. You should try it at least once...they have a 7-day trial you can do for free.
  • simplysara9
    simplysara9 Posts: 521
    Options
    I also have Zumba for Wii and can burn a couple hundred calories in 20 - 30 minutes. It's definitely a workout. You have to enjoy what you are doing to make the workouts work. I suggest watching it on YouTube like someone else mentioned and maybe a local gym offers classes or try out the video game.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Zumba is great cause you can just have fun. The trick is to keep yourself moving the whole time to keep you heart rate up so you will burn the calories, even if you can't do all the motions just yet. Plus you learn some fun moves. :) if you are tired and want to stop, just walk in the spot to catch a breath and has a drink and then continue with the lesson.
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options

I will second that, and add that anything that gets the body moving and the heart pumping and the sweat pouring is gonna work
  • c2sky
    c2sky Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    so glad to see that so many love Zumba. I am a Zumba instructor. Zumba is about the 20th type of class I have taught, and I feel it is by far the funnest. And I find that people stick with it more than other things. As far as the question, "Does it work?" The intensity level in Zumba can vary as much as any other exercise. The videos are well done, but you may not like them as well as the classes, as others have said.

Also, make sure you progress. Don't expect to keep getting results if you're still working out at the same level 2 months from now that you start at.

The reason I think a lot of people like classes more are 1. Classes are allowed to put in ypes of music that are not just Latin, 30% to be exact. Also, having a huge group of people tends to get you to move better. But for a home workout video, Zumba is very good. And since I have personally taken training workshops from the instructors in the videos, I can vouch they know what they are doing. It's a great, professional program. And if you like upbeat music at all, and want as high intensity as possible with less impact, you'll love it.

Let us know what you think! Good luck!