opinions from the pros please!

Options
So, I've been plugging away at this for 3 months and things are going well. But I've noticed that since my calories have been in the mid to low 1200 range (and MFP is now giving me 1200 a day) my loss has really slowed down. My weight is more so hovering now and I'm wondering how many of you who have had a fair bit to lose (I still have about 40 lbs to lose) have altered your calories a bit. I know I can add 100 or 200 calories a day and still be between the 1.5lb and 2lb a week loss goal but I'm of course afraid that if I DO increase my cals a little I'll really be stuck here. Opinions would be great :ohwell:

Most days literally all of my calories from from whole, organic, clean foods and on days that I do have something else it doesn't take up more than 130 calories of my total and it's still something without a bunch of junk in it. Like maybe dark organic chocolate or something. But like I said, that's not every day. I eat my work out calories or sometimes miss them by 100-200 and I eat 4-5 times a day and my calories, protein and fibre are equally spaced in each meal. I'm also breastfeeding my son a few times a day which doesn't add much to my needs but I've tried to reflect this in my daily activity level designation.

Thanks in advance!!

Replies

• PedalHound
    PedalHound Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    So, I've been plugging away at this for 3 months and things are going well. But I've noticed that since my calories have been in the mid to low 1200 range (and MFP is now giving me 1200 a day) my loss has really slowed down. My weight is more so hovering now and I'm wondering how many of you who have had a fair bit to lose (I still have about 40 lbs to lose) have altered your calories a bit. I know I can add 100 or 200 calories a day and still be between the 1.5lb and 2lb a week loss goal but I'm of course afraid that if I DO increase my cals a little I'll really be stuck here. Opinions would be great :ohwell:

Most days literally all of my calories from from whole, organic, clean foods and on days that I do have something else it doesn't take up more than 130 calories of my total and it's still something without a bunch of junk in it. Like maybe dark organic chocolate or something. But like I said, that's not every day. I eat my work out calories or sometimes miss them by 100-200 and I eat 4-5 times a day and my calories, protein and fibre are equally spaced in each meal. I'm also breastfeeding my son a few times a day which doesn't add much to my needs but I've tried to reflect this in my daily activity level designation.

Thanks in advance!!
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    I would try upping your calories little by little. Maybe 200 calories at a time.

For me, 1200 calories was undereating. I'm now losing size (body fat, not pounds) at 1600 without exercise, and I eat more with exercise.

Just what's worked for me.:flowerforyou:
  • JODY
    JODY Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I READ IN ONE OF OPRAHS BOOKS THAT YOU CAN GO FOR UP TO 6 WEEKS WITH OUT SEEING A CHANGE IN WEIGHT LOSS .IT COULD JUST BE A BIG PLATEAU, SO IF YOU HAVEN'T GAINED ANY BE PATIENT IT WILL SHOW A BIG LOSS SOON.
  • PedalHound
    Options
    Thanks Viviakay, I think I'm going to give that a try.

Jody, thanks for your input also. I'm a personal trainer and I know all about helping people through plateaus but it's a very different ball game when its your own weight you see stalling!

I'm going to take measurements again in the next couple of days to see if I've got better luck there. I have a very muscular body, always have, and I've been a bit weary of the 1200 calorie limit since it got into the 1200's. I think my plan is going to be eating 1400 cals a day net, and on work out days when I do my big calorie burns (because I do get SOME kind of exercise every day) I'll eat an additional 500 cals. I'll try that out for a week or two and see if I can shake things up a little! I have to keep reminding myself that all of the numbers and formulae out there are just guidelines. It's a best guess and it feels to me like time to experiment a little and see if I can learn a little more about my individual system. You're right Viv, this is NOT for sissies!! :laugh:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Do you have facilities at your disposal to get your body fat/ RMR tested? (personal trainer and all)

I got a body fat/RMR assessment at my gym (electrodes) and discovered that my RMR is about 300 calories higher than MFP said.

It might help you push through.

And, yeah. . .I totally relate to the logic leaving your body when it's your weight that won't budge. My scale is currently hidden in the closet. (I'm actually gaining weight but losing fat. . .seeing the number go up still sucks, even though my pants are looser)
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks Viviakay, I think I'm going to give that a try.

Jody, thanks for your input also. I'm a personal trainer and I know all about helping people through plateaus but it's a very different ball game when its your own weight you see stalling!

I'm going to take measurements again in the next couple of days to see if I've got better luck there. I have a very muscular body, always have, and I've been a bit weary of the 1200 calorie limit since it got into the 1200's. I think my plan is going to be eating 1400 cals a day net, and on work out days when I do my big calorie burns (because I do get SOME kind of exercise every day) I'll eat an additional 500 cals. I'll try that out for a week or two and see if I can shake things up a little! I have to keep reminding myself that all of the numbers and formulae out there are just guidelines. It's a best guess and it feels to me like time to experiment a little and see if I can learn a little more about my individual system. You're right Viv, this is NOT for sissies!! :laugh:

Hey! That is pretty much what I do right now. I eat 1400 calories base...and when I exercise...I will eat between 1800-1900. (I burn a lot). I have YET to eat only 1200 a day.
  • PedalHound
    Options
    I'm not working at a gym or anything right now since I've got little ones. I emailed my naturopath to see if I could have the test done there (they offer it as part of a weight loss program) but I just want the test and not the program. No word back. These days are so tough - when you feel like there are no answers and there's no way to know what to do. Near half way is surprisingly tough also. I've lost a lot and changed a lot which I'm very proud of and very happy about, but the way I describe it is that I'm just a smaller version of the same look. I've got so much body fat still so I'm just as jiggly but I take up less space. Does that make sense?? Anyway... thanks again for the feedback :wink: