Shin Splints and Exercise.

Options
I've been walking and jogging a lot over the past few days and I have ended up with shinsplints. My hubby (who's in the army) just says "walk anyway, push through the pain." But I'd rather rest for a couple days and feel better. If it keeps getting worse, I feel like I'll end up quitting (again) and DON'T want that to happen. Suggestions for what I can do to burn calories that won't make me cry in pain? Just started last week and don't want to give up or slow down my loss right now, so any suggestions will help :)

Replies

• brhoads
    brhoads Posts: 2
    Options
    Try bicycling or an ellypitical machine....I occasionally have shin splint issues and switch out my runs for these activities when I'm in pain.
  • Cmccracken1
    Cmccracken1 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    go get fitted for running shoes at a specialty running store... you can take a couple days of rest but dont expect to be pain free when you go back,,, if you push through it they will subside... for me when i had them they would start hurting at 2-3 mins if i could get to 5-6 usually they would loosen up and not hurt... two things that will help you in the short term only is take ibuprophen before you exercize to reduce swelling, and get you some roll on max freeze, it's in the bengay department roll it on your chin before you start it will help you muscles looses and stretch stretch strech.... good luck.
  • MJKing2
    MJKing2 Posts: 177
    Options
    I have posted 2 seperate topics on here regarding shin splints. I am having them like crazy too. It makes it hard to stay motivated when your legs just do not want to move. My recommendation is definitely to rest for a day or two if you are in extreme pain. I did that and it helped, but they came back. I am unwilling to give up the workouts that I love because of shin splints so these are the things that I have found work for me to help keep them away:

-Try different shoes to find the pair that work for you. I have gone through 3 different pairs of shoes before I found the ones I wear now and cause me the least amount of pain. Notice I didn't say no pain, but least amount.

-Heat before. I heat my legs before I workout with a heating pad. About 5ish minutes on each shin, or as much time as I can allow.

-Ice after. I have two gallon size bags of ice in my freezer labeled LEGS so that when I get back I pull them out and ice my shins for around 20-30 minutes after a workout.

-Stretch, stretch, stretch. I was never much of a stretcher, but over the past week or so I have found that this is VERY beneifical for success. I stretch well before and after my workout and when I'm doing something that allows me to pause I stretch then too.

I've been doing this for right around over a week and I can tell you the difference is amazing! Hope you find something that helps for you. You can do it! : )
  • niteshaydz
    niteshaydz Posts: 6
    Options
    I get shinsplints really bad as well every time I even try jogging. I simply can't do it. I get them so bad I cry. So I just avoid jogging. Walking doesn't seem to hurt them though and it is actually much less stress on your body. Shadow boxing is another good way to really break a sweat and that would be great for letting your shins heal - no impact there!! If you can find a hill, walking up that at a good clip will really get your heart rate up once your legs are feeling a bit better. Best wishes to you!!
  • spackham
    spackham Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Ice, ice, ice and stretch after exercise way longer (15 mins) to prevent injury in the future. Do not push through the pain, it will get worse. This is true injury and needs recovery but you don't need to stop. One of my friends broke her foot and she keeps finding things she can do. Swimming, biking or a spin class, working on her arms, strength training. When I started, I only used the elliptical because I get shin splints. I can run now but need to pay attention to any growing injury. What ever you do, keep logging your food and do SOMEthing!!! When your shins are healed you will be SO EXCITED to work hard on the elliptical to work up to walking again. I'd do 3 days of strength training (sit up, push ups, arm machines, planks, and leg machines that don't aggravate shin splints) and for cardio, bike or spin or swim 6 days a week. You can do this! If you get through this you will make it! MFP is a recipe for success. We all make mistakes and injuries we work through.
  • lauriallen
    lauriallen Posts: 39
    Options
    I am also in the Military (Canadian) and I don't take these issues lightly, cause without the abitliy to run due to injury you're not deployable. Inflammatin of the soft tissue (shin splint) should be treated with rest to the affected area. You can put ice on it if it really hurts and an anti-inflammatory for the pain. It may take a couple of weeks to heal, up to a few months, depends on the severity. Your foot wear also has a lot to do with shin splints. If you rest it for a while it will get better, but if you keep agrivating it, your going to end up in more trouble than you've signed up for. You could really hurt the muscles in your tibial bone.

Hope this helps.