Paleo - going way over on Protien

Options
Is it okay when following the Paleo diet to go over what MFP says for the daily limits on protien? Everyday I am way over on protien but right on with everything else. Confused..........

Replies

• knewbill72
    knewbill72 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Absolutely ok! I eat Paleo as well. The protein on MFP is flawed in general, not just for us Paleo/Primal eaters!
  • MoonMyst3
    MoonMyst3 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I am on a high protein, high essential fat diet for health reasons. My doctor advised me to follow the Paleo diet and I am currently educating myself about it. I have adjusted my MFP settings to reflect 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs but I'm wondering if there is a formula or 'right' amount of protein according to your weight/size??
  • girlonamission34
    Options
    how do you adjust the MFP settings? I can't seem to figure out how to do that.
  • alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Good rule of thumb for anyone dieting especially when weight training. It's been argued many many times but sticking to 1-2 grams of protein per pound total body weight has great benefits to building new muscle. I wouldn't keep the ratio of only 20% carbs to long though. Basic body builder nutrient breakdown falls into 40% protein 40% carbs 20% fat on lifting days. Personally on non lifting days I go for 40 protein 30% carbs 30%, fat.
  • girlonamission34
    Options
    I am on a high protein, high essential fat diet for health reasons. My doctor advised me to follow the Paleo diet and I am currently educating myself about it. I have adjusted my MFP settings to reflect 50% protein, 30% fat, 20% carbs but I'm wondering if there is a formula or 'right' amount of protein according to your weight/size??

• alleyag
    alleyag Posts: 142
    Options
    Go to goals on website and set custom goals you can adjust these ratios there.
  • MoonMyst3
    Options

If you go to My Home, click on Goals, click Change Goals and then choose custom.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    According to The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson, you should eat .7 - 1g of protein per lb of lean body mass. For instance, my LBM is about 120 lbs. So when I'm not working out a ton, I eat about 80-90 grams of protein per day.

Post your question on the Palelo Support Group thread (yep, Paleo is spelled wrong). You'll get some great answers there.
  • SOOZIE429
    SOOZIE429 Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to an LBM calculator. It's pretty accurate:

http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html
  • MoonMyst3
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
  • BodyByBrusselSprouts
    BodyByBrusselSprouts Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that though it is OK to go over on protein, mostly you want to replace the carbs from grains with fat. It is a bit of learning curve to accept the higher fat. In the first week I kept catching myself going for the skim milk or low fat yogurt or leaner meats without thinking. But it is the fat that fills and satisfies making it easier to go longer between meal while both providing energy and also training the body to use fat as its first fuel of choice.

Dave