Day one - is this common?

Options
So, I've just completed my food diary for day one and it's been hard. I won't lie. I'm hungry and dinner isn't for another two hours.

I've gone over on my protein but not the rest, although there was some juggling to be done to keep it that way. Is this going to happen a lot or will I get used to it? And will it make that much difference in the grand scheme of things if I mess up a little bit from time to time (not every day obviously).

I'm sure it will get easier...

Replies

• Julesfame
    Julesfame Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The first 2 weeks are rough. Your body is getting used to eating less. Your stomach is shrinking. It will get better. Keep drinking your water. I always go over on protein. I don't think it is a bad thing though. Good luck and hang in there. You will enjoy the results!
  • ChristinaRamos
    Options
    Eat a small meal every 2-3 hours. Its ok to go over on protein
  • casey887
    casey887 Posts: 25
    Options
    It got easier for me after a while. Of course going over isn't the best thing but it's not a problem if it happens from time to time. I tend to go over my sugars so it's just working towards keeping those numbers down.

After a week or so you will start seeing the changes in what you eat to stay around your numbers.

Good Luck!!
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You'll get used to it.

I went out for dinner the other night, 4 months ago I'd have cleaned the plate up and been looking for more, this time half of it was packaged to bring home as I was stuffed.
    A convenient fast food meal is way more food than I need for a meal now, if I "force" myself to eat it all I feel overly full and bloated. Plus it doesn't fill me up as long as a real meal of nutritious food does for far less of a calorie hit.
  • fionajane123
    Options
    Thats pretty good for your first day! Well done!

And yes, its soooo normal to be craving food- i still do and im into my 2nd week. You will change your eating habits though- trust me, getting full up on chicken and fruits is the best :)

Ive discovered such lovely snacks at the supermarket to help with my munchies ;)

Its not a big deal going over your protien too much etc, but yeah make sure you dont go over on the calories, and if you do go over, go for a walk to make up for it

:) i hope this has helped :)

Good luck
  • fionajane123
    Options
    Thats pretty good for your first day! Well done!

And yes, its soooo normal to be craving food- i still do and im into my 2nd week. You will change your eating habits though- trust me, getting full up on chicken and fruits is the best :)

Ive discovered such lovely snacks at the supermarket to help with my munchies ;)

Its not a big deal going over your protien too much etc, but yeah make sure you dont go over on the calories, and if you do go over, go for a walk to make up for it

:) i hope this has helped :)

Good luck
  • Mamapengu
    Mamapengu Posts: 250
    Options
    don't get too obsessive with the specif numbers to start. Work to make healthier choices and try to keep in your calorie goals. Yes, it does get better as you get used to it, and there are days you'll hit your goal right on the nail, and others you'll be a little over or under. don't beat yourself up about those, just try to keep them from being a habit!
    I suggest you think about what you ate the last 2-3 days and log those in, then you know what your normal intake was (or eat normal the next few days and log everything) It'll help you know where you could make simple lasting changes without going into shock!

You'll do great!
  • pkarim
    pkarim Posts: 171
    Options
    I have my protein set to the same amount as my carbs, Protein will help you lose weight absolutely so don't worry about that, it's your carbs that you need to worry about going over.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Spread your calories around and eat every 2-3 hours (small, healthy snacks). I know this is what the experts suggest. This way you're never hungry and you're fueling your metabolism all day long.

If you're looking for healthy snacks check out www.snackgirl.com
  • m0_0m
    m0_0m Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    It's true, the first week or 2 is a struggle. You'll find after awhile it's not hard at all. In fact, you may get to a point where you struggle to eat all your calories, that is, if your working out a lot.
    No worries about going over your protein. ;) Good luck!
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    I eat six little meals a day and it really helps because you are not waiting so long to eat. It will be hard the first month. You have to retrain your habits and your brain to a new way of thinking and eating.
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    I don't know how many calories you are of, but have a snack in between your meals, do account for them, my diary is open you can check it out and check out others that have theirs open, it gives you ideas for your menus and different brands of food being used
  • Merodie
    Merodie Posts: 21
    Options
    It does get easier :flowerforyou: One of my favorite snacks is air popped popcorn. I use spray butter and a little popcorn seasoning salt. yum and only 15 calories per cup. When I want to eat everything or just steada. Also drink water...lots of water it helps. Hang in there it is worth it.:happy:
  • electricnarwhal
    Options
    It's okay to go over in protein and it's difficult in the beginning, but you will get used to it. It's okay to have a few off days, it happens to everyone from time to time. You just gotta get back in the routine the next day and avoid making it a habit. :)
  • EmmaLogan87
    Options
    6 smaller meals will help whilst you get used to less, also try a glass of water when you start to feel hungry, sometimes that helps until the next meal time
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    It gets easier, promise. You are going to learn so much about the foods you eat, and more importantly, yourself.... It's a journey of self discovery!
    As for the logging, it isn't great to go over, it is best to try and hit those numbers as close to right on as you can. One thing I have found makes it easier, is if I log everything (or as much of it as I can) at the start of the day. If I know what I am going to have to eat all day, it is easier to portion it out to suit my hunger through the day.
    You can do this.... and we are all here to help you! You'll love this site, if you give it a chance!!!!!!!!
  • ShrinkingNinja
    ShrinkingNinja Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Occasional mess ups will affect your progress, but they will not doom you to failure. Try to minimize the "oops -es" as much as you can obviously, but if you have one just jump back on that horse and keep moving in the right direction.
  • dalzinho
    dalzinho Posts: 52
    Options
    Do you know what's really good for that is Actimel, or Yakult, or whatever kind of poncy wee bottled yoghurts you can get where you come from. 28 cals, and they give you a really full sensation.
  • MsEmmy
    MsEmmy Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    You definitely get used to eating smaller meals very quickly. On the plus side, you tend to enjoy your food more, eat more slowly and really taste it instead of just stuffing it down without thinking. The best way to not feel hungry is to drink lots of water and do exercise so you can eat the calories back. I would struggle on my allowed calories alone, but with a long brisk dog walk and a bit of dancing on the Kinect I can increase my daily calories by 600 and then don't get hungry. I actually think about food LESS now as before there was always guilt - now I know what's allowed and feel better about food.
    You will also get very good at choosing food which fills you for longer without tons of calories - you will weigh up the short term satisfaction of a chocolate biscuit and pick something better. Keep with it!