Muscle Building vs Toning Up?!!!

Options
124»

Replies

• jenomaha
    jenomaha Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is no such thing as "toning" or "sculpting" your muscles. You're either building muscles, or you're increasing the stamina and endurance of the muscles you already have. The only way to achieve the "toned" look is to build muscle and lose body fat. Low weights with high reps will only increase your muscles' endurance. You need to lift heavy weights for lower reps. If you can do more than 12 reps, you're not choosing weights that are heavy enough. Ideally, you should be doing three sets of 6-8 reps.

Cardio burns fat, yes, but only while you're doing it. Strength training burns a fraction of the calories that cardio burns DURING THE TIME YOU'RE EXERCISING. The most calories burned from strength training are after the fact; your muscles use energy (burn calories) to repair, renew, and rebuild. Honestly, you don't even need to do cardio. Refer to my blog entry entitled Why Women Should Lift Weights to read more "researched information" behind my statements.

You should be in and out of the gym in under 45 minutes. Incorporate compound moves to achieve maximum results, i.e. deadlifts, squats, back rows, pushups, dips, pullups, lunges, and all-over core exercises such as planks, jackknives, etc. Don't waste time with isolated bicep curls or tricep extensions--compound exercises will work these muscles and more.

THIS, yes, yes, yes!!!!!! Ladies, please, lift weights and lift mod-heavy!! And the article link you posted further down the thread on bodybuilding.com - very informative and comprehensive!!! Thanks for posting:smile:
  • registers
    registers Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    First of all, there is no such thing as "toning" or "sculpting" your muscles. You're either building muscles, or you're increasing the stamina and endurance of the muscles you already have. The only way to achieve the "toned" look is to build muscle and lose body fat. Low weights with high reps will only increase your muscles' endurance. You need to lift heavy weights for lower reps. If you can do more than 12 reps, you're not choosing weights that are heavy enough. Ideally, you should be doing three sets of 6-8 reps.

Cardio burns fat, yes, but only while you're doing it. Strength training burns a fraction of the calories that cardio burns DURING THE TIME YOU'RE EXERCISING. The most calories burned from strength training are after the fact; your muscles use energy (burn calories) to repair, renew, and rebuild. Honestly, you don't even need to do cardio. Refer to my blog entry entitled Why Women Should Lift Weights to read more "researched information" behind my statements.

You should be in and out of the gym in under 45 minutes. Incorporate compound moves to achieve maximum results, i.e. deadlifts, squats, back rows, pushups, dips, pullups, lunges, and all-over core exercises such as planks, jackknives, etc. Don't waste time with isolated bicep curls or tricep extensions--compound exercises will work these muscles and more.

THIS, yes, yes, yes!!!!!! Ladies, please, lift weights and lift mod-heavy!! And the article link you posted further down the thread on bodybuilding.com - very informative and comprehensive!!! Thanks for posting:smile:

That's pretty good, what toning is... it's a higher muscular tension within the muscle. For example you seen a flabby muscle, and a firm muscle the same size, the only difference is the muscle tension.
  • irridia
    irridia Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    I hadn't checked back recently so started the sets the way I described and I'm starting to see results, not so much on the weight loss yet. Definately in the blood sugar levels, nrg levels and feeling the muscles firm up. I know if I could add more it would give better results but I'm also trying to manage time as well and not over stress my joints. Started taking the emergenC + msm and hoping that will assist.

Thanks for the advice.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options

what he said
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Options

what he said

THIS.

And I speak from my own experience. Results come from challenging yourself with heavy weights and moderate cardio...NOT chronic cardio and little pink barbie weights.

LIFT HEAVY LADIES.
  • Mandy♥
    Mandy♥ Posts: 8
    Options
    You should go to body building.com it will help you understand all your questions. I have learned so much from this website. It also give you workout plans as well as meal planner. Its really cool.
    Amanda