Low Carb + Exercise = Nausea? Am I alone?

Options
I am finding that I am losing weight quickly by eating low carb which is great, but when I try to run, I feel like I have morning sickness (impossible by the way) after 2 miles. I tried to go to the gym today too, and after about a 1/2 hour, I felt like a heap of poo, just struggling to get every last rep of strength training in.

I love the quick weight loss, but I am wondering if it is even possible to train for a half marathon continuing to eat that way. I want to lose the weight quickly so I am lighter for the training (I am 5'4" and 168lbs female now - race is Sept 18th).

What should I do to lose 2 lbs a week AND become cardiovascularly fit enough to run a half marathon?

Replies

• bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    Ive been reading a lot of books on Triathlon training. They say that you should incorporate carbs for the energy. Your body needs to go to the cells for energy and the fastest store is carbs. Maybe start eating a piece of toast or banana something like that and see if it makes a difference. I'm going to guess that as long as your not eating a box of pasta it will still be ok with your weight loss. :)

Maybe someone else has better information than me.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Wow, if you are training for a distance race carbs should be your best friends. They are the easiest source for your body to use as fuel. The longer your runs are the more carbs you would need. Most Long distance runners diets are 55-60% carbs for this reason.

The question you have to ask yourself is, what is more important, losing the weight, or doing the best I can in the race. The answer to this should dictate your diet requirements. Keep in mind that you can still do good in the race on lower carbs, and you will still lose weight on higher carbs.
  • pawprint_net
    Options
    Didn't have this problem exactly, I was fine running/walking but I was getting bouts of extreme nausea about 15-20 mins after I woke up every morning. I jumped back into eating a few more carbs (namely rolled oats for breakfast) and the nausea has vanished - unfortunately so has the weight loss... I'm still trying to sort it out.
  • contritebiggs
    Options
    if your low carb diet is too low in carbs you'll lack energy. Try and balance it out better, carbs are not your enemy. You're active and your energy needs need to be up to par with the level of activity. Balance it out, divide your total calories by 6 and make 1 part of that carbohydrate calories and that should help you out. With the rest being fat and protein calories.
  • Tristis
    Tristis Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    The research I've done on low carb dieting would indicate low carb eating is primarily good for sedentary lifestyles. If you are a runner, you should eat carbs before your work outs.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and cover 3 miles with warm up and jogging...without seeing your diary it is hard to say

It could depend if you are running in the AM or the PM...I run in the evening after I have eaten between 50-70 carbs...again, I am eating LOW CARB, not NO CARB
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    BTW...a friend of mine from high school is a TRI-ATHLETE and she told me when I started this journey that she keeps her carbs around 100 on most days...but bumps it up to 200 on her longer training days

keep in mind you do get carbs eating veggies...and that is usually still allowed on most low-carb diets
  • BeckyKSmith
    BeckyKSmith Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 20-40 net carbs a day.....lol......I'm going to continue with low exercise another 2 weeks then ramp up the carbs with the running. I REALLY want to take 10 more pounds off of my joints!!!! I have no patience and want to run :)
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    If you are running a lot, you can't go really low on your carbs without your running suffering.Many low-carb diets have an 'induction' phase, where you go really low on carbs for at least a 2 week period before starting to work carbs back into your diet. Runners should probably just go straight to phase two, where you're still low carb but not super restricted.

I am at 40 net carbs even on a rest day, more on my running / work out days.
  • Ariyasnow1
    Ariyasnow1 Posts: 117
    Options
    Yikes, 20 to 40 is extremely low to me, no wonder you are feeling bad. I say 20 to 40 is fine when you are not active. I would suggest for you to bump your carb intake to at least 100. (more veggie carbs, less processed/grain carbs) I bet you will feel much better, and I promise you will still lose weight! I keep my carb intake at 100 daily, and I never feel bad when I go run or work out and I continue to loose/maintain my weight and build lean muscle.

Good Luck!
  • CraftyGirl4
    CraftyGirl4 Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Wow, if you are training for a distance race carbs should be your best friends. They are the easiest source for your body to use as fuel. The longer your runs are the more carbs you would need. Most Long distance runners diets are 55-60% carbs for this reason.

The question you have to ask yourself is, what is more important, losing the weight, or doing the best I can in the race. The answer to this should dictate your diet requirements. Keep in mind that you can still do good in the race on lower carbs, and you will still lose weight on higher carbs.

This is 100% correct. Running is an aerobic exercise, and you need carbs.