having a cold and/or sinus infection and working out

Options
if you have a cold or sinus infection is it better to workout to possibly sweat it all out or is it best to take a rest for a while to get your energy built back up?

im starting to get a cold or what have you and i feel like i could workout, but i dont want to make it worse. someone told me if i go ahead and workout to try and sweat it out i would feel better sooner. then i had someone else tell me to take it easy because i dont want to aggravate it. ugh! help!

Replies

• Tracey_Smith
    Tracey_Smith Posts: 199
    Options
    If it's above the neck you should be fine to work out, if it's below the neck and in your chest, forget it and work out another day. With the latter you'll just aggravate already inflamed lungs. At the end of the day if you feel rough, leave it till you feel better.
  • ChRiStA_1983
    ChRiStA_1983 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    According to John Stanton (the author of "Running", and the founder of "The Running Room", in Canada), if the illness is ABOVE the neck (i.e. in the head, throat, sinuses, ears, etc.) you're okay to work out. If it's BELOW the neck (i.e. in your chest/lungs), you're better to wait it out......

Hope that helps!
  • mikihainesy
    mikihainesy Posts: 98
    Options
    same here. I did nowt (literally) for 2 days and felt well enough to do a good workout today, and i'm actually feeling better all together
  • mawhite717
    mawhite717 Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    thanks a lot guys!!! its above the neck and just started yesterday, but its not too bad since im loading up on vitamin c!! lol. guess it looks like i'll be working out tonight!! YAY!
  • jac1976
    jac1976 Posts: 30
    Options
    I followed the rule of thumb that if it was above the neck i could work out and despite not feeling my best i went for a run.

At the time of the run i had a sore throat and a cold, the following morning though i woke up with a bad chest and terrible cough, now this was probably going to come anyway but i cant help thinking i made things worse by exercising :ohwell:

But i felt for my mental wellbeing i should try to exercise, now my cough is slowly going and i exercised today, i managed it but i really did struggle and i couldnt run like i normally can so i walked instead. My body is obviously still not healed enough for me to train to my usual standards, but im hoping in a few days i will be back to normal. :smile: