Tough Mudder SoCal

Options
To anyone considering doing a Tough Mudder plan a backup outfit. I just did the SoCal Tough Mudder on Sunday and OMG! On Saturday people were getting sun burns, on Sunday it was snowing. A lot of people did not plan for that and showed up in barely anything. I think over 100 cases of hypothermia and 50% of us did not finish (i made it to mile 5 at least!)

In addition, do it with a team if you can. There are quite a few obstacles where having someone there to help you up is essential. If you don't go with a team don't be shy! The group you start with may be the same group you run into at other portions of the run. Get to know these people, you will need them later on.

Don't expect to run the entire thing. Tough Mudder is full of challanges and hills are one of them. Honestly, it would have been dangerous to run the entire SoCal tough mudder. The hills were steep and going down them was difficult.

Don't try to impress anyone by grabbing the biggest log. When it comes to holding your wood if you drop it, it aint that cool. I saw many guys go for the biggest piece of wood they could get. We couldn't move our fingers, people were froze through and through and they felt compelled to grab a 50lb piece of wood. A lot of people started tossing theirs instead of carrying up and down the hill.

It was the worst experience of my life! Cardio can only get you part of the way, heart has to carry you the rest of the way. I'm signing up next year. Want to get a team together. I didn't even get to go through the electroshock!!!

Replies

• chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Good info. I'm considering doing the AZ event in Jan 2012, although I can almost guarantee it won't snow here. :)
  • Jena_72
    Jena_72 Posts: 1,057
    Options
    Still proud of you girlie!!
  • sofaking6
    sofaking6 Posts: 4,589 Member
    Options
    Great job!! It's awesome that you got yourself out there and took 5 miles of tough punishment.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    Was that the one up at Snow Valley? If so, that looks way hardcore and painful!