late night snack advice

Options
hey everyone! I just had a question about eating after dinner. I eat dinner every night around six or seven, but at around nine or ten I usually get really hungry. I'm ALWAYS up late studying or doing work, so I often times find myself going into the cupboard or fridge. I was wondering what are your opinions about that? If I stay in my calorie limit, is it a bad thing to eat that late at night?

also, when I do snack after dinner, what should I be eating? I've heard not to eat carbs or fruit... so what is a good snack late at night?

thanks so much in advance! I've been struggling with this a lot

Replies

• btor
    btor Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    bump! this is the worst for me too.. particularly during certain times of the month!
  • MellowYellowGem
    MellowYellowGem Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I know a banana is good for getting you off to sleep before bed - I don't know if it's any good to eat it late for weight loss though?
  • nisharae
    nisharae Posts: 204
    Options
    I was always told .. no carbs... and try to stay away from alot of sugar too.. So that pretty much leaves protein ;) Maybe a yogurt, or low fat cheese?? Veggies?
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    It doesnt matter when you eat, your body treats a calorie no differently at 6pm than at 11pm or 2am, as long as you are with your calories just have a small snack to take the hunger away
  • ariesangel
    ariesangel Posts: 15
    Options
    while i dont have much in the way of advice, i just wanted to let you know you arent alone. im a big-time night snacker. my husband works midnights and i have a daughter in elementary school who is usually in bed by 8.30 so we usually have dinner by around 5ish so that my daughter isnt eating right before bed as its a habit i would like to keep from starting for her. but im a night owl and im rarely in bed before midnight, so if dinner is at 5, im starving by bedtime. one thing i have found helps a little bit, is to make sure the kitchen light is off. i used to keep the light on over the stove at night because our apartment gets REALLY dark with no lights on and i dont want someone falling or tripping if they have to get up at night. keeping the lights off in the kitchen at night gives the appearance that the kitchen is "closed" for the night and im more likely to stay out of it. as far as healthy snacks for nighttime goes, i absolutely LOVE the Quaker mini delights (90 calories for 1 pouch) in caramel drizzle. they are sooooo yummy. baby carrots and celery sticks are good too.
  • ChristineM79
    Options
    As long as you arent having the snack RIGHT before you go to sleep, its probably not a problem. Stick to something light, maybe some carrot or celery sticks with a light dressing/dip if you want. Or maybe even some yogurt. But if you're going to bed very late, and getting up later in the morning, its probably not a problem. Eating at night being bad for you is supposedly a myth anyway. You just dont want to have something heavy right before sleeping. Do some light exercises after you eat if you really feel the need. Squats or lunges would be best, you can do them while reading! lol
  • agibsonky
    agibsonky Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have a snack almost every evening after dinner. Often fruit, sometimes a greek yogurt or a light string cheese...if I'm having a sweet fit, sometimes a sugar free fudgecicle (only 35 calories) or a sugar free jello with some fat free reddi whip (only 15 calories). As long as it fits in my calories, I eat whatever I want...it hasn't hindered my weight loss.
  • veganjeanie
    veganjeanie Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat/drink whatever I want late at night, so long as it stays within my calorie limit, and I've been losing lots of weight. I knew that any diet that ruled out my snacks and cocktails late at night would fail miserably. So I factor it into my calories, and I've lost almost 20 pounds in about 3 months. I wouldn't worry about it. And I think that old wives tale about not eating after 8 was debunked recently.
  • cdalt24
    cdalt24 Posts: 55
    Options
    thanks for the help everyone!!!