Is anyone using Phentermine for weight loss?

Options
I don't want to fight with any health nuts. My doctor thought I could use a "push" since I've been gaining weight quickly the last couple of months. I don't plan on staying on this stuff forever but I appreciate any help I can get.

Today I started taking Phentermine 37.5 I'm really nervous because I have never taken a supplement before. I would love to hear about anyone elses experiances good or bad.

Replies

• rfcollins33
    rfcollins33 Posts: 630
    Options
    I don't want to fight with any health nuts.

hahaha, I was just thinking while my pc was loading this page, "boy these folks are gonna eat her alive." Sorry, I do not take it, but I just thought it was funny that was your first line. Good luck, hon
  • msartishia
    msartishia Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I went to myweightdoctor and they gave it to me and I took it for about a week and it did nothing. I am not sure if it is just my body but the B12 shot does nothing either. So I think it is based on different people.
  • bjenny12345
    bjenny12345 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have taken it in the past only to find I gain weight back b/c I don't change my lifestyle. It is like legal speed, made me grouchy too! Best of luck!
  • SarahWrittenThin
    SarahWrittenThin Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    I thought this was illegal.
  • mEISHA30
    mEISHA30 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I have taken it and it does suppress your appetite and you can lose weight. The downfall is when you stop taking it you could gain more weight back especially, if you don't know how to control your eating habits and don't exercise.
  • tmthorn0927
    tmthorn0927 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I took it YEARS ago when it was widely used as PhenFen (sp?). Doctor that gave it to me was also taking it and told me it worked (he was overweight and recently lost his license for writing narcotic drug prescriptions for himself!). It did nothing for me. Calories in vs. calories out is what really works! And moving! It also has been reported to cause heart palpatations. Good luck!
  • tammyr76
    tammyr76 Posts: 174
    Options
    Took them for 6 months lost 45 lbs,,as soon as I stopped taking all the weight and then some came back within 8 months,,,,with the pills you don't get hungry thats why you lose,so when you stop taking them your body craves food.....to do it healthy you have to stil try and eat and eat healthy so your body adjust to healthy eating and does'nt crave all the processed and sweet food when you stop taking the pills....
    It happened to my 2 sisters too,,,all gained weight as soon as you finish the pills...
    Hope this helps,,good luck to you....
  • kbeach08
    kbeach08 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I took it last year but I was sick while on it so I can't give you a real accurate assesment of it. I lost 30lbs. It did seem to help with my snacking through out the day, and giving me energy, and as long as you eat protien with every meal I never had any side effects.
    *Ok I need to edit this... I did change my eating habits and got moving more while on it and I did not gain any weight back but I did not lose all that I wanted so that is what I am working on now. I would not go ask my dr. for more because now I feel I can do the rest on my own. I hope it works for you just remember you have to eat right and workout being on the meds or not, it is still a lifestyle change not a wonder pill.
  • Cherese1983
    Cherese1983 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I have taken Adipex before (Phentermine). It worked, but you have to be careful because it practically makes you starve the weight off. Once you are off of it if you start eating "normally" or "bad" again you will put the weight back on quicker than you lost it. Be sure to take vitamins too because my hair started to fall out a few months after being off of it. Some people do need an extra push (I know I did) so don't let anyone make you feel bad. All I can say is be careful and good luck!!
  • foxxybrown
    foxxybrown Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    I have taken it before (about 13 years ago). Lost 40 lbs in 4 months. Back when I took it, I didn't really work on my diet but ate a lot less. I did do lots of exercising. I ended up keeping off 20 of those pounds. Use this time while you are on the pill to get your diet in order and when you come off if you have adjusted your diet properly, you will be able to maintain the weight loss.
  • cyoungblood
    cyoungblood Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are taking it now. I have lost 10 pounds so far and he has lost 20 pounds. My mother used it and lost 40 pounds. I know several others that was very successful. You still have to have will power but it helps take the edge off of hunger. We are taking phentermine hydrochloride tablets 37.5mg, watch what we eat and see a doctor once a month. Good Luck!
  • cweiler4
    cweiler4 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I was prescribed Phentermine to assist with my weight loss by my Endocrinologist since I have a hypothyroid. My first experience with it was great, I lost 30lbs in 6 months. I did minimal excercise and didnt' eat a whole lot because I didn't have an appetite. Then I got pregnant with my son. After I had him, I tried it again and it didn't do anything for me. It actually was horrible the second time. I couldn't sleep, I had dry mouth all the time. (make sure you drink a ton of water and I always had to chew gum to keep my mouth moist) I had to take a sleep aid just to help me get to sleep, but I never slept throughout the night. I only lost maybe 10lbs the second time. Make sure you maintain your healthy eating when you are done or all of your weight will come back.

I say try it, but make sure if you are having side effects that you relay them to your doctor. Also, you will want to check your heart rate everyday to make sure it isn't increasing. It will do that to you!

Good luck!
  • leomom72
    leomom72 Posts: 1,798 Member
    Options
    i have not taken this, but as a suppliment, i have used lipozene, and contrary to all the negative reviews it has, it really worked for me..the 1st time i took it, i lost 11 lbs in 5 weeks..best of luck, and i hope you find what works for you:drinker:
  • karilynn27
    karilynn27 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    All the side effects of it seems very sketchy....hairloss? Moodiness? It sounds like a quick fix, and then when you get off of it, it just makes you gain weight faster. Sounds like a great drug.
  • jlewis2896
    jlewis2896 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I've never tried Phentermine, but I did take Hydroxycut briefly a couple years back -- and it was awful. It was a great appetite suppressant, but it made me jittery and nauseous and I only took half the recommended dose.

I wish you luck and hope you can find something that works for you!! All long-term success stories that I have seen so far have been based solely on hard work and slow but steady losses.
  • lgerweck
    lgerweck Posts: 18
    Options
    I have taken Phentermine twice... one with success, one with not. Both times were the 37.5 doses. Both times I experienced a lot of nausea from the pills. That is ultimately the reason I stopped taking them the second time around.

The first time I was taking the capsules and from July 08 - December 08 (about 6 months) I lost 60 pounds. I stopped taking it in January because the weight stopped coming off. I gained it all back.

Second time I took it was from November 09 - June 10 (I think). These were tablets. I only loss about 10 pounds.

The first time I took it I was a lot busier with work and school, so I think that may have helped keep the food out of my mouth. Haha.
    Hope this helps!
  • Becca_007
    Becca_007 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    , ........my hair started to fall out

I like my hair...hippie4.gif
    That is all.
  • Robinam7
    Robinam7 Posts: 2
    Options
    I'm taking it now and have been for the past year. It worked well initially, but then your body becomes use to it. It all goes back to modifying your diet, because once you stop taking it the weight comes back on.
  • tammykoon
    tammykoon Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are both taking it. It is working for us. I am able to get by on half a dose. I haven't had any negative side effects(The first week I stayed up about an hour later than usual, but that passed quickly).We are using this as an aide to change our lifestyle. We have changed the foods we eat how we look at food. It's not a magic pill. If I don't change my habits it will all be for noyhing. Good luck and keep going!
  • jcl1981
    jcl1981 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i have had the unique perspective of losing all of weight twice, first on phentermine, then without it. I found that i lost weight at the same rate either way. I can say that phentermine did make me excessively thirsty and did seem to give me energy at first but after a month of usage that effect diminished. However, once i stopped taking it, i found that i had cravings for it. That scared me because i felt like i was addicted to it. I think when you need to lose weight to be healthy, it is almost always good to lose weight at a normal pace of about 1-2 lbs a week. That sounds like its not enough but it adds up after a while. I think as long as your doctor is monitoring your health it is ok, but i highly suggest trying to lose without it just because eating healthier can be hard enough already without having to rely on a drug for success. When the drug is stopped, it can be discouraging if weight returns or it becomes very hard to lose.