this is for my health

Options
I decided yesterday (after totally pigging out) that the day after Christmas was a good day to start eating healthier. So, I joined this website. This morning at 6:30 my Mom called to let me know my brother-in-law had a heart attack early this morning. Praise God he's doing okay - they put a stent in his artery and he should be out of the hospital in a couple of days. Here was my wakeup call - he's very slender and I said something to my sister about that. Her comment - "it isn't how he's built; it's what he puts in his mouth. He takes no responsibility for what he eats." Talk about an OUCH moment. If I needed any more incentive, here it was. So I'm praying I can keep him in mind as I start this journey for the umpteenth time. He's five or six years younger than I am and I always thought he was healthier. The leftover Christmas goodies are hitting the garbage!

Replies

• chepic
    chepic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I decided yesterday (after totally pigging out) that the day after Christmas was a good day to start eating healthier. So, I joined this website. This morning at 6:30 my Mom called to let me know my brother-in-law had a heart attack early this morning. Praise God he's doing okay - they put a stent in his artery and he should be out of the hospital in a couple of days. Here was my wakeup call - he's very slender and I said something to my sister about that. Her comment - "it isn't how he's built; it's what he puts in his mouth. He takes no responsibility for what he eats." Talk about an OUCH moment. If I needed any more incentive, here it was. So I'm praying I can keep him in mind as I start this journey for the umpteenth time. He's five or six years younger than I am and I always thought he was healthier. The leftover Christmas goodies are hitting the garbage!
  • oldandbroke
    Options
    Good to have you with us. Just be slow and steady with it. You will not always make the progress you want. Keep in mind that every weigh in is just info and feedback from your body telling you if you are treating it right.
    Don't try to starve yourself that never works. You will see in many posts that a lot of people are having trouble eating all of the calories they are supposed to. Once you learn what to eat it will become a habit you can live with. :drinker:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Sorry to hear about your brother. You can do this.

Eve:flowerforyou:
  • diannholland1965
    diannholland1965 Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Welcome aboard!
    I am sorry to hear about your brother. But the good news is not only that he is doing O.K. but that you also learned from his condition.
    Sometimes people need that ONE THING to open their eyes. I am glad that you have. and I hope that your brother does as well.
    :flowerforyou:
    --Diann...
  • chepic
    chepic Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your support. I've walked by the leftover Christmas candy today several times and not taken one yet! I know it won't be easy, but I remember something someone told me a long time ago. Every journey begins with a step in the right direction. Some of us take the scenic route and some take the freeway. It's okay if I venture onto the scenic route once in awhile! For now though I need to stay on the freeway.:smile:
  • dmflynt
    dmflynt Posts: 196
    Options
    Welcome to My Fitness Pal! You've taken the first crucial step.....a commitment to yourself and your health!