Icecream maker?

Options
lunamare
lunamare Posts: 569 Member
Does anyone have any tried and true recipes to make your own ice cream, frozen yogurt, frozen fruit sherbert? I've made icecream before in the maker I have but we used full fat cream since we were making it for the kids. I'd LOVE to make some yummy treats for myself.

Replies

• krevelle65
    krevelle65 Posts: 189
    Options
    I just got an ice cream maker in hopes of making lemon ice. The books says you can use whole milk instead of cream. The recipes for sorbet use sugar, I was planing on using splenda. I just put the tub in the freezer, so this looks like a tomorrow thing. If you want any of the recipes out of owners manual, let me know.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks! I have the book at home too. I need to dig it out. I saw this one and it looks way too simple:

http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/a-frozen-yogurt-recipe-to-rival-pinkberrys-recipe.html

Vanilla Frozen Yogurt RecipeHeidi notes: First off, remember it is important to use good-quality whole-milk yogurt. The version in David's book is Vanilla Frozen Yogurt. This time around I skipped out on the vanilla, opting for straight, bright white yogurt with the sweetness playing off the tang of the yogurt. I also used slightly less sugar than called for here, more like 2/3 cup - but you can go either way depending on what you like.

3 cups (720g) strained yogurt (see below) or Greek-style yogurt
    3/4 cup (150g) sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract (optional)

Mix together the yogurt, sugar, and vanilla (if using). Stir until the sugar is completely dissolved. Refrigerate 1 hour.
    Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.
    To make 1 cup (240g) of strained yogurt, line a mesh strainer with a few layers of cheese cloth. then scrape 16 ounces or 2 cups (480g) of plain whole-milk yogurt into the cheesecloth. Gather the ends and fold them over the yogurt, then refrigerate for at least 6 hours. So, for the above recipe start with and strain 6 cups of yogurt.
    Makes about 1 quart.
  • ccbloom1
    ccbloom1 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Not real ice cream, but have you ever tried the frozen banana soft serve? Slice up some peeled bananas and freeze. Then whip in the food processor. It's great if you like bananas, it's super-creamy, and I've read about others adding frozen strawberries.
  • nolakris
    nolakris Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    We use to reverse the amount of cream and milk for most recipes because I found the amount of cream to be too rich. The banana "ice cream" is good, you can add a tsp. of cocoa powder too, it's like the chocolate dipped bananas!