College Student Seeking Motivation!

Options
2»

Replies

• BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your weight loss so far!

I know what you mean about food service at college.
    The food they served at my college was not only absolutely terrible, but it didn't help they had desserts instead of fresh fruit staring you down as you walked out into actual dining hall to sit. There was soft-serve ice cream sundaes too! TORTURE! I actually lost 10 pounds though once I started eating only from the salad bar or making english muffins, but I was paying huge bucks just to eat an English muffin.. and that wasn't fair!

I'm so excited for the fall because I'm living in an appt. and get to make all my on food! YESSS! Now I just need to find a way to make some money to buy healthy groceries while I'm there!
  • BalancedBloss
    Options
    Hey I am a university student, and I have a similar experience to you. I have about 18lbs to go until my goal weight...but these are the hardest ones to shed!

Feel free to add me as a friend - I am new as well :)
  • BalancedBloss
    Options
    I'm so excited for the fall because I'm living in an appt. and get to make all my on food! YESSS! Now I just need to find a way to make some money to buy healthy groceries while I'm there!

I don't know if they have them where you live- but I buy all my fruit and veg either from the markets OR during semester I get it from the Food Co-op, which is an organisation which bulk buys at the farmers markets and then you pay $10 for a box of fruit and veg each week. I find I pay 1/4 of what I would in the supermarket when I do it like that and it has the bonus of the produce being much tastier :)
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    you sound exactly like me! i lost 10 pounds this year in college without really trying. I'm 19 years old too and I will be a sophomre in the fall too!! I was 157 at my highest. I've kind of always hated my weight. I was one of those kids that got tall and at their adult weight really fast. I've been 5'7" since I was 11, and I was at my adult weight shortly after. I was always bigger than my friends (who were always toothpicks!), and my senior year I gained around 15 pounds because I transferred schools & was depressed.
    I was always really active in sports and stuff, but I NEVER watched what I ate. I never thought I could loose weight because I was always gaining weight it seemed like until college! So i just keep watching what I eat. No more later runs to culvers or DQ for large blizzards!! haha that used to be an almost every day occurance!
    i'm glad to see someone like you on here!! =]
  • BeautyFromWithin
    BeautyFromWithin Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice! We have a farmers market and a Co-Op by my college I believe, so I will have to check them both out in the fall! I'd love to get some cheap fresh fruits and veggies from the markets!

@barbiex3 - Wow, we are very similar aren't we? Feel free to add me as a friend! Its so great meeting people with similar goals and/or stories to me! Congrats on your weight loss so far! Your CW is what I'm hoping I can get down to eventually.. I'm set at my GW being 140 for now because when I was at 135 which has been my Lowest Weight, I was having health problems and don't want to face those again! But I know what you mean about runs to the fast food monsters! haha we only have a few in the small town I attend college, so my friends are always going to like DQ or McDonalds.. but thankfully we have a subway for healthier eating and I'll have to say no to the fast food runs next year!
  • barbiex3
    barbiex3 Posts: 1,036 Member
    Options
    yes! my college is in a small town too, and it seems like the only thing people want to do it eat or get drunk. both of which are recipe for weight gain! haha. It especially sucks for me because I go to school in Wisconsin aka drinking capital of the US & it's freezing during the school year so no one goes outside or on walks! haha. endless cycle. But good luck to you! hopefully this works out better than weight watchers =] I have it on my phone, so it's super easy! i added you btw !
  • minniebee
    minniebee Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Hi! I know we're already friends on MFP, but I figured I would post my story if anyone else needs some friends. :smile:

I'm 19 and just finished my first year of college. I stayed pretty consistent with my weight at college but have been overweight my entire life. Next year I am transferring to another university, and I would like to arrive showing up a little bit skinnier. Lol. I'm 5'2" and about 160lbs, so I have a while to go, I'm hoping to get down to the low 150's to mid 140's before the start, and just to see if I can keep up the weight loss next year. It's difficult for me while I'm home, because my entire family is overweight. But, I just try and cook my own meals when I can, and to eat lots of fruits and veggies!

Feel free to friend me!