Fruit and sugar & SMOOTHIES!

Options
Do you count fruit in your sugar totals for the day? I've been making smoothies with fruit and no added sugar and it's putting me over. I'm not sure if I should be concerned since I'm not sure how to get my fruit/veggies in without doing it

AND:

What are your favorite smoothie combos for under 250 calories?

I'm having:
1/2 cup strawberries
1/2 cup of pineapple
1/2 frozen banana
8 oz of Trop-50

Replies

• rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    I wonder about this too.
  • rainunrefined
    rainunrefined Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    2 cups spinach
    3/4 cup diet Ocean Spray Cranberry or Blueberry
    2tbsp sugar free vanilla syrup
    <blend>
    1.5 cups frozen strawberries
    1 banana
    <blend>

MMMMM GOOD!

I don't stress about sugar from fruit as long as I'm getting my recommended servings of fruit and veggies in, I'm comfortable. Using spinach in place of one of your fruits will cut back on your sugar intake though...
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    DEFINITELY count it. A lot of people don't want to hear that and convince themselves of the rumor that "natural fruit sugar" is better and doesn't count. Unfortunately it totally does. Sugar affects your body in a very specific way, regardless of its source.

Hope this helps!

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/McKayMachina/view/you-re-not-fat-because-of-fat-106837
  • Kirsty_UK
    Kirsty_UK Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    if you do a forum search for "fruit sugar" you can find various views on the sugar in fruit debate!
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    YOU NEED TO ADD SOME NOT SO SUGARY FRUITS (oops caps) to your smoothies. I like to add frozen strawberries, milk, yogurt and orange juice is my sweetener.
  • appleofmyeye
    Options
    My take: Unless you need to watch sugar really closely for a health reason (i.e. blood sugar/insulin issues, etc.), I wouldn't worry too much. Food with lots of added sugars, especially refined sugars, are the ones to watch out for, especially since many of them lack much nutritional value. Of course empty calories are important to avoid! But sugars are naturally occurring in dairy products, fruits, and most veggies, and these foods are full of other great-for-you nutrients! It's all about balance.

If I go over on sugar because I had a banana and some fat-free Greek yogurt, I pay it no mind...now if I go over because I ate a whole box of chocolate chip cookies (which is pretty much what happened to me the other day!), it's time to rein myself in. :smile:
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I haven't been tracking my sugars, really. I pay attention to carbs and fiber, though.

Every morning I have a smoothie:

2 scoops Aria Designer Whey protein powder, vanilla flavored
    and about a cup of frozen unsweetened fruit. Strawberries, mango, pineapple, mixed berries, peaches or a combo of any of them.
    And about a cup and half of cold water

So delicious!
  • rorosaw
    rorosaw Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    My take: Unless you need to watch sugar really closely for a health reason (i.e. blood sugar/insulin issues, etc.), I wouldn't worry too much. Food with lots of added sugars, especially refined sugars, are the ones to watch out for, especially since many of them lack much nutritional value. Of course empty calories are important to avoid! But sugars are naturally occurring in dairy products, fruits, and most veggies, and these foods are full of other great-for-you nutrients! It's all about balance.

If I go over on sugar because I had a banana and some fat-free Greek yogurt, I pay it no mind...now if I go over because I ate a whole box of chocolate chip cookies (which is pretty much what happened to me the other day!), it's time to rein myself in. :smile:

I agree! I think if I stay within my calorie guidelines (within reason for maxs in each tracking category), I still lose weight. I've been way over in one category or another on any given day but don't really sweat it much. i figure it all evens out. I've lost 43 pounds since January. I figure it's working out fine.
  • mapexdrummer69
    Options

This.

Carbohydrates, no matter the source, are eventually broken down into glycogen in our systems.Calories for sucrose, aka table sugar, are empty calories. Try and get as much from wholesome, nurtrient dense foods as possible.
  • yiffanarff
    yiffanarff Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I sort of count it. Most days I go over my sugar quota by a little bit, but generally no more than 5-10grams. When I know that the culprit is one banana, or an apple or something, it doesn't bother me. Fruit has other nutritional benefits, so I figure it sort of balances out, and it's better than getting my sugar from refined sources. That being said, sugar is sugar, so I don't generally eat more than one piece of fruit a day. Two if I'm splurging. I tend to view fruit as nature's candy, and think it is fine in moderation.

I would agree with the above poster who suggested that you choose some fruits that are less high in sugar. Bananas and pineapple are both really high. I believe that berries, like blueberries, blackberries etc, are a lot better from a sugar standpoint. Also, you mentioned that without the smoothie you don't know how to meet your intake of "fruits and veggies." I would say that you should definitely be eating FAR more servings of vegetables than servings of fruit.
  • Calidaho
    Calidaho Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I haven't been tracking my sugars, really. I pay attention to carbs and fiber, though.

Every morning I have a smoothie:

2 scoops Aria Designer Whey protein powder, vanilla flavored
    and about a cup of frozen unsweetened fruit. Strawberries, mango, pineapple, mixed berries, peaches or a combo of any of them.
    And about a cup and half of cold water

So delicious!

Oh, I also add a packet of Truvia for a little sweetness.

Bottom line, I think if your sugars are coming from whole foods, it's not as bad as added sugar. Sugar is sugar but it is better to get your sugar from fruits and whole foods rather than sugar added to foods. I guess getting some nutrition with your sugar is a good thing :)
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Well, here's my take on it...

I do fruit detoxes where I eat nothing but fruit and the lower cal veggies (green beans-w/o salt, carrots, stuff like that), and raw nuts and I monitor my sugars closely during those days (usually six times a day). My sugar does NOT go above 135 (it is usually 120 at the 1 hour postprandial; back down to about 90 or 95 at the 2 hour postprandial) on my almost all fruit days. I do not take insulin, either, so it's just my body... NOBODY will ever convince me that fruit sugars act the same in your body as other types of sugars when I have tested my body and know better...

That being said, here's my favorite-just over 250:

1 c. frozen blueberries
    1 c. frozen mixed berries
    1/2 c. Tropicana lots of pulp OJ
    2 c. spinach
    3 oz. baby carrots
    water to blend
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options
    I try not to fret to much if I go over on natural sugars. The 5 a day is pretty unclear it should be: 2 fruit 3 veg. That way you shouldn't go over sugar. Maybe add some protein powder to you smoothies as this minimizes the affect of the sugar?
  • chubswonky
    chubswonky Posts: 195
    Options
    I try not to fret to much if I go over on natural sugars. The 5 a day is pretty unclear it should be: 2 fruit 3 veg. That way you shouldn't go over sugar. Maybe add some protein powder to you smoothies as this minimizes the affect of the sugar?

That tends to up the calories significantly though
  • funfitfoodie
    funfitfoodie Posts: 630 Member
    Options

That tends to up the calories significantly though

Sometimes I think nutrients are way more important than calories... if you have them spare you may as well :) Also it boosts the effects of your workout so maybe make it a post-workout smoothie