Kindle or Nook?

Options
MamaLeague
MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
Kindle or Nook? Leaning towards a Nook...but which one? I like the idea of the e-ink, so the color Nook may be out. I like that the e-ink actually looks like a book.

And I'm favoring Nooks over Kindle because if something happens, I can walk my Nook into B&N....with a Kindle, it's a trip to the postman.

Replies

• foreverloved
    foreverloved Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    If it's an option for you I really would recommend getting an android smartphone instead. You can have a kindle and a nook for free since the apps are free! (As well as mfp and a gazillion other amazing apps to have on the go!)

Oh, to your original question I prefer Kindle over nook mainly because I buy a lot with amazon and like them, barnes & noble is going out of business. I don't think there is a lot of difference either way though.
  • bsexton3
    bsexton3 Posts: 472 Member
    Options
    I have an original Kindle and really enjoyed it. About a year ago, I got an iPad and gave the kindle to my wife. Because of the kindle app for computer and iPad, I still have my reading list. Plus, with only one account, my wife and I can share books. Don't know if the nook will let you do that.
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I have the Kindle.. because of the E-Ink... I have sleeping problems, having a backlit lcd doesn't help with melotinin production. therefore I went with the kindle... no refresh rate, no backlit lcd... plus it works perfectly in direct sunlight. My battery lasts FOREVER!! There's also all the apps for phones, laptop, and tablets that all sync together. So you can pick up on the last page you have read no matter what device you use.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    NOOK!!!!! the books a cheaper, its easier to rent from the library (for FREE) it has better service from B&N and its just all around more awesome!!!!
  • lisa0913
    lisa0913 Posts: 22
    Options
    i have a Kindle and I LOVE it. Played around with a Nook and wasn't impressed. Just seemed like a mini laptop or Ipad. If you have either of those or a smart phone of some sort, don't see any reason why you'd need the Nook...
  • MamaLeague
    MamaLeague Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I do have an android phone, but I don't want the eye strain that you get from a computer....the e-ink of the nook and kindle solves that problem. There is an Ipad in the house, but again, eye strain...I want to be reading a 'book' not a computer screen.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I don't know anything about the Nook (other than what I see on advertisements). I have the original Kindle and recently gave my husband the new version. We both love it.

My sister has the original as well, and we were discussing this weekend how much we love it.

Aggie, are you sure the books are cheaper on the Nook? I know a year ago this wasn't true and although prices have increased a little, I find Amazon very low priced. The lack of a library option is annoying, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for that, but there are lots of free books.
  • bpingel
    bpingel Posts: 1
    Options
    I like the Nook because you can get books from the Library free. Although, sometimes there's a long waiting period, and the book has to be read in 14 days which is difficult in the summer when the golf course is calling my name.
  • cheyenne_alexis
    cheyenne_alexis Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I have the kindle and my mom had got the nook color wifi for her birthday, i love hers way more than the kindle !! i hate not having the backlit screen ! Plus the nook has many more book and magazine options !
  • brewingaz
    brewingaz Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I love my Kindle. Both are good products, but my eyes don't ache as much reading the Kindle. Plus if you have a Droid, you can download the Kindle app, which will sync with your Kindle. That way you can read on your cell phone at moments you have down times and are away from it.
  • antijen
    antijen Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    I have a kindle and my kids have nook colors. I like them both for different reasons. The kindle is lighter and smaller/less bulky and it isn't backlit. The nook has a touch screen and it's in color. Also you can get free library books on the nook, but not on the kindle.

Lastly, both my daughter and I had the exact same problem with our ereaders (an issue with the screen) at the same time and I had to deal with both. The amazon customer service was A LOT easier and quicker and I had my new kindle in days, plus they let me keep the new power cord that came with it, but didn't make me send back the old one. B&N took FOREVER and they made me send back the new power cord. I felt like pulling my hair out with their customer service even though the nooks have protection coverage and the kindle didn't.

From what I understand (and I have no first-hand knowledge of this) it is easier to put PDFs and other media on nooks and the web is easier to surf.

I am more than perfectly content and delighted with my kindle and the girls are equally happy with their nooks. I guess you just have to decide which features are most important to you.

Edited for word error.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    I love my kindle particularly because of the awesome battery life, about three weeks with heavy use, so it's ideal for travelling.

Having an android phone, the app on there syncs to the last page read, so if I am stuck waiting anywhere, I can carry on reading whatever book I'd been enjoying at home. :)

Amazon customer service has a well deserved excellent reputation.

You cannot borrow library books on a kindle, though if you're in the US, you can currently lend an eBook to a friend once.
  • katekrise
    katekrise Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I have a NookColor and love it! I rent books from the library with my nook, so I don't have to pay for them. It's great!!!! Also...nook have basic internet capabilities too!
  • appleshells
    appleshells Posts: 165
    Options
    I have the Sony e-reader and it is my most prized possession! Super long battery, no back light. I can read it in direct sunlight. I would be lost without it. And somehow, my husband uploaded a picture of my cat on it when he uploaded a book.....now I just have to figure out how he did that so I can have pics of the kids too!
  • britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    I have a Nook Color and love it. I may be a little biased b/c I work at a Barnes & Noble, although I suggest the best option for you would be to go into a store and actually take a look at them and talk to someone about them.

And to whoever it was that said Barnes & Noble is going out of business... I'm pretty sure you're thinking of Borders, which is closing down most of it's stores. B&N is not.
  • mrsaclarkson
    mrsaclarkson Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Love my Kindle, the e-ink is super easy on the eyes, and I love all the acceessories, and I can buy from amazon.com or .ca depending on the availability of items.
    I also have the Android app for Kindle and it is a super cinch to pick up my book and keep reading from where I left off. Go Kindle!
  • jvkh127
    jvkh127 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Love my Kindle!!! Played with a Nook also and didn't like it any better. Kindle gives you alot of free books. New ones pop up all the time that aren't so bad. Lots of discounted books also. Also love the sharing between Kindles and unlimited storage of books on Amazon Archives.
  • pragya728
    pragya728 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I have the Nook Color and I loveee it!! I also love that I can use the internet on it if I want to!!
  • sister_bear
    sister_bear Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    We have 2 Kindles in this house. I went with it over the Nook because of the longer battery life and being able to read in sunlight (very important feature for me).

If I was more of a magazine reader, I would've gone with the Nook. The Nook is also more versatile as a toy for browsing the internet, etc. I use my laptop for that. I wanted to read.
  • notapromqueen
    notapromqueen Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I'm on Team Nook. I absolutely love my Nook Color! =)