Interval Training Timer

Options
Well, I just thought I'd post this up for you all. I just downloaded a $2 interval timing application from the Android Marketplace called 'Interval Training Timer'. It's the only interval timer that I could find for less than $10...and the only one at all that wasn't packaged with a bunch of other useless crap. It lets you set a 'get ready' period...your round timing, your rest timing...and then a 'relax' period. It also (and this is what made it unique compared to the free one I had) lets you set the number of rounds. Yes...that's right, I now have a standalone tabata timer that signals me audibly...which was really the only thing holding me back from applying it three days a week. Other cool features include an ability to set custom sounds, as well as a 'round starting/ending' warning (if you've done tabata interval ANYTHING, knowing your round is going to end in two seconds is a godsend lol).

Overall, I'm extremely pleased....other than the fact that I know now...from doing 8 rounds of 20 second plank intervals with 10 seconds of rest in between each round...that my core strength SUCKS lol.

Back to doing tabata abdominals!

Cris

Replies

• tawojcik
    tawojcik Posts: 67
    Options
    I hate to tell you this, but Runkeeper does all of that for free. :(

Except for the rounding part, but I just look at the stupid thing!
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I use 'seconds' on my iphone - works for me :smile:
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options
    AWESOME thanks! now if only I can figure out how to "unlock" my account!
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    Got it. This is great!
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options

If by rounding...you mean multiple rounds...when you're doing 15yd sprints etc...it's nice to set the phone in a safe place and just listen for the tones lol. I had one called Workout Timer that would just do single intervals...it was free too. I wanted the ability to do multiple rounds easily. WELL worth $2 to me =D!

Your marketplace account? I don't know...mine wasn't locked lol. I just charged it to Sprint and will pay it when I pay the bill =D.

Cris
  • DizzieLittleLifter
    DizzieLittleLifter Posts: 1,020 Member
    Options

If by rounding...you mean multiple rounds...when you're doing 15yd sprints etc...it's nice to set the phone in a safe place and just listen for the tones lol. I had one called Workout Timer that would just do single intervals...it was free too. I wanted the ability to do multiple rounds easily. WELL worth $2 to me =D!

Your marketplace account? I don't know...mine wasn't locked lol. I just charged it to Sprint and will pay it when I pay the bill =D.

Cris

yeah that's the one. IDK my hubby has a Zune and when he set it up he linked it to my acct, but now neither one of us can get in to it. I've tried all the silly steps the "support" offers. I sort of gave up :laugh:
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Is this it? I search the market on my phone and this is the one I see. Link below has a screen shot.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/sports/interval-training-timer_mkhu.html
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    Is this it? I search the market on my phone and this is the one I see. Link below has a screen shot.

http://www.androidzoom.com/android_applications/sports/interval-training-timer_mkhu.html

That's the one =D. SO worth the $2. It's well built...and it has a ticker for the seconds too (double time for your work round) lol...all in all it's VERY clear when you should be exercising, and when you should be resting...which is the idea!

It looks also like there is a free version...but I didn't find it when I searched the marketplace, so maybe it was removed?
  • BigBoneSista
    BigBoneSista Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options

That's the one =D. SO worth the $2. It's well built...and it has a ticker for the seconds too (double time for your work round) lol...all in all it's VERY clear when you should be exercising, and when you should be resting...which is the idea!

Thank you for this. I was using a online tabata timer which works well but if I could have my music playing on my laptop instead of the timer I'm all for it. Downloading now.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,835 Member
    Options
    for tabata ones, can you get apps that will just play a sound over your music?

I have previously just downloaded special mp3 tabata songs and they worked great.
  • bpayne78
    bpayne78 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    This sounds very interesting. Where can I find workouts to follow for this?
  • crisanderson27
    Options

You can do anything with interval/tabata, really. I did front, and both side planks today. I work out with my heavy bag interval style (20 seconds max effort, 10 rest)...pushups, situps, weight lifting...anything.

Here's a link:

http://workout-of-the-day.com/how-to-do-proper-tabata-interval-training/

Crossfitters do tabata/interval training as well. It's an incredibly effective exercise. Basically the premise is you get a substantial amount of calorie burn, in one 4 minute set of intervals. Here's a link to more specific information:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Tabata-Anything---Four-Minutes-of-Pain-to-Gain&id=348486

And an excerpt from the above link:

"Credit for this simple and powerful training method belongs to its namesake, Dr. Izumi Tabata and a team of researchers from the National Institute of Fitness and Sports in Tokyo, Japan. Their groundbreaking 1996 study, published in the journal Medicine and Science in Sports & Exercise, provided documented evidence concerning the dramatic physiological benefits of high-intensity intermittent training. After just 6 weeks of testing, Dr. Tabata noted a 28% increase in anaerobic capacity in his subjects, along with a 14% increase in their ability to consume oxygen (V02Max). These results were witnessed in already physically fit athletes. The conclusion was that just four minutes of Tabata interval training could do more to boost aerobic and anaerobic capacity than an hour of endurance exercise.

Although Dr. Tabata used a mechanically braked exercise cycle machine, you can apply this protocol to almost any exercise. For example, a basic Tabata workout can be performed with sit-ups. The more muscles used the better, so use full knees-bent sit-ups. Sit-up non-stop for 20-second intervals, followed by 10 seconds of rest. Repeat for a total of 8 cycles.

How effective can just 4 minutes of exercise be? ... Very. You will be amazed at how intense the four minutes of exercise will feel. The intervals tax both your aerobic and anaerobic energy systems. To be clear, this isn't "eight sets of eight," although the goal of doing eight reps in each of the 20-second clusters is about right. Instead it's "as many reps as I can get in" during the twenty seconds, followed by ten seconds rest."

Cool stuff =D.
  • crisanderson27
    Options
    for tabata ones, can you get apps that will just play a sound over your music?

I have previously just downloaded special mp3 tabata songs and they worked great.

I had no problems running music in the background with this running. As long as you know what the sounds are (you can set them yourself), then you shouldn't have any issues.

Cris
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,123 Member
    Options
    I either make mp3 files for interval timing which is basically free except for my time, and more often I use my Gymboss Max. It is more expensive than the Android app, but I don't want to cart my 10" android tablet around with me, and when I get a smart phone I don't want to use that while I am working out.
  • mummum2
    mummum2 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Found it on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) it's free. Downloaded! thanks for that! :flowerforyou:
  • bpayne78
    Options
    Found it on my phone (Samsung Galaxy S) it's free. Downloaded! thanks for that! :flowerforyou:

I have the Samsung Captivate and found it and another one (A HIIT Timer) both on the Android market for free.....
  • bpayne78
    Options

You can do anything with interval/tabata, really. I did front, and both side planks today. I work out with my heavy bag interval style (20 seconds max effort, 10 rest)...pushups, situps, weight lifting...anything.

On the planks do you just hold it for the interval time (i.e. 20 sec)? Then I assume on crunches you would do as many as you could in the interval time......this sounds a lot like what Insanity is based on.
  • korgscrew
    korgscrew Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    I use 'seconds' on my iphone - works for me :smile:

Me too! Just wish i could change the tone, it really grates on me!

Would like a count down or a ready set go lol
  • crisanderson27
    Options

On the planks do you just hold it for the interval time (i.e. 20 sec)? Then I assume on crunches you would do as many as you could in the interval time......this sounds a lot like what Insanity is based on.

You've got it exactly. I even do my stomach vacuums this way. I mean, I have my regular sets for my standard workout days, but I catch everything else with intervals in the tabata format.

PAINFUL lol.

I've never done insanity...so I'm unsure about that...but I know this works. I've done planks...but never in this format...and again lol...painful =p.

On the free versus paid...I didn't know there was a free one until I saw the link yesterday. I looked at the free HIIT one yesterday too, but I think I like this better. Plus...I hate accidentally clicking the stupid links lol...so the $2 was worth it just for the annoyance factor =D.

korgscrew, I think they have an iphone version too...though I'm unsure. The reason I couldn't find them initially is I was searching 'interval timer' instead of 'HIIT'....WAY more applications if you use the right term =p.

Cris
  • codercowboy
    Options
    I made an interval training app after searching for a good one for a while. My app lets you customize the interval sounds, and will tell how much time is left for your current interval when you tap the screen. The other apps I tried were really complicated to setup when all I wanted was something that was easy to configure a couple of intervals and go, so I made that app myself. It may work for you if others aren't, here's the webpage about it:

http://www.codercowboy.com/RunnersIntervalTimer/index.html