Starvation mode?

soulshine
soulshine Posts: 4
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I never eat the recommended 1200 calories a day, and it always says that I could be putting my body into starvation mode. But if I'm not hungry, why should I eat more? And I don't understand how you lose weight if you're not eating less calories than you're burning? Can anyone help me figure this out?

Replies

• I never eat the recommended 1200 calories a day, and it always says that I could be putting my body into starvation mode. But if I'm not hungry, why should I eat more? And I don't understand how you lose weight if you're not eating less calories than you're burning? Can anyone help me figure this out?
  • ericarey85
    ericarey85 Posts: 312 Member
    here is a link to another post that has a bunch more links that will explain it to you. definetly should read them all it will REALLY REALLY help ALOT!!! :flowerforyou:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/23912-links-in-mfp-you-want-to-read-again-and-again
  • I think you're only counting the calories that you earn when you're working out. You body burns calories all day, not just when you go to the gym. It's called your Basal Metabolic Rate. Mine is 2099...which means I burn that many calories everyday simply by existing. You have to eat more because if you don't give your body enough energy to do its necessary activities (ie breathing) it will think that it is starving and you won't lose weight.

Try reading this forum for more information....

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/25061-calorie-intake-need-to-rant-a-bit

...and good luck!:bigsmile:
  • PrincessLaundry
    PrincessLaundry Posts: 2,758 Member
    Hokay... I don't have all the fancy schmancy words for it...

But I starved myself to be thin. It work for a few months, then I started packing on the pounds because my body held onto any food it could. I had no energy, I looked terrible, my skin started breaking out more, my hair wasn't as healthy...

I had a good friend tell me to eat. He told me to eat...Simple right? He basically said the current way I am doing things isn't working so eat.

So I did...and ya know what? My body was a little frightened at first, but then the pounds started falling off. Inches melted away, and I had more energy to play and do more with my kids. I love it!

So eat anyway...even if it is a glass of milk, a cup of fruit, a handful of nuts, a scoop of peanut butter...but get those calories in your tummy! If starving yourself isn't working...(which is won't) then try it for 30 days...eat!
  • gilly88
    gilly88 Posts: 114
    hi, just wondering if anyone has any advice - i've recovered from really low cal diet (about a year ago i began to eat more) but still generally only eat between 1200-1300/day, and i exercise a lot. recently decided i wanted to start eating more so have logged on here, but am bit worried about eating so many more cals! (MFP says to eat around 1600/day) - wondering if anyone has had any success with eating more AND losing more!!
    thanks !
This discussion has been closed.