"generic" calorie burn rate

Options
Huffdogg
Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
I have used many different calorie burn calculators online, as well as observing the MFP averages and using my own HRM. It seems to me that, with few exceptions, there aren't many cardio exercises that generate a significantly larger rate of calorie burn than any other aside from self-imposed intensity variations. I have seen that, when done at a moderate (sustainable for an hour or so without danger of passing out) pace, most cardio activities tend to burn somewhere around 7-8 cal/minute. Higher-intensity exercises seem to fall more along the lines of 9-10. Obviously this would vary depending on your weight and other vital statistics, but I'm curious: has anyone else observed this trend? Or are there particular exercises that you get a better burn out of (according to a HRM or BodyBugg) than you do with others?

Replies

• bbygrl5
    bbygrl5 Posts: 964 Member
    Options
    With running, I've noticed I burn at a slightly faster rate outside than on gym equipment, but nothing significant. I have several friends on MFP who are into different martial arts and I know their burns from that are epic!
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    I have several friends on MFP who are into different martial arts and I know their burns from that are epic!

Interesting! I have been thinking about getting into kickboxing with a buddy of mine and also maybe doing boffer weapon sparring just for kicks and to see how good of a workout it is (supposed to be freaking hardcore).
  • Angela4Health
    Angela4Health Posts: 1,319 Member
    Options
    Tae Bo and Kickboxing burn TONS more calories than just going on a run.
  • Huffdogg
    Options
    Tae Bo and Kickboxing burn TONS more calories than just going on a run.

I really should look into Tae Bo. Any sort of aerobic kickboxing type stuff always seemed really appealing to me.