really stupid thought *warning graphic*

Options
Remember that thread about donating blood the other day? And how you burn extra calories replacing the blood and all? I can't get out of my mind that if I were to...cut myself...and lose a lot of blood...that that would make me burn more calories too? :embarassed: God, I'm f***ed up.

Okay...now that I talked about it...maybe I will stop obsessing over such a stupid thought?

Replies

• pinkpixies
    Options
    Remember that thread about donating blood the other day? And how you burn extra calories replacing the blood and all? I can't get out of my mind that if I were to...cut myself...and lose a lot of blood...that that would make me burn more calories too? :embarassed: God, I'm f***ed up.

Okay...now that I talked about it...maybe I will stop obsessing over such a stupid thought?
  • TNTPete
    TNTPete Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Okay, don't think that would even be closely the same, and you have to remember you can't exercise and you have to eat to regain strength after donating blood so no real gain (or lose in this case).

Secondly and probably most importantly, you're not messed up or anything like that but, I would say you may want to talk to a professional as I have no idea on this thought of cutting. I just know it is a symptom and needs to be addressed.

Take care of yourself and talk to someone.
  • JeremyInvincible
    JeremyInvincible Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    No no no no no no!!!

That 600 calories is highly debated as accurate. I promise you will be doing yourself far more harm than good. Please don't do it. PLEASE!!!!

I agree with TNT, these sort of thoughts are indicative of obsession. We all want to lose weight, but your health is paramount to this. The weight will come off, it just takes time. I promise.
  • pinkpixies
    Options
    Yeah...I know it's stupid. I have a lot of stupid thoughts regarding weight loss and such. :embarassed:
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options
    Yeah...I know it's stupid. I have a lot of stupid thoughts regarding weight loss and such. :embarassed:

It's not stupid darlin, we all have them. Just don't let it control you. It's obvious to me that you are a smart girl and you know that it isn't the right way. By telling us about it, you are doing the right thing and taking steps to confront those thoughts. Just promise us that if they continue you'll talk to a professional, there is no shame in it at all, and they might even be able to help you direct it towards even more success in your weight loss journey!
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    not to mention, blood clots. Do you know how deeply you would have to cut yourself to lose the amount of blood you give when you donate? And of course, cutting yourself that deeply is gonna put you at major risk for infection, hey you could even potentially bleed to death. Trust me, giving blood DOES NOT cause you to lose weight. WHen I was 200+ lbs I donated quite regularly and never lost a pound from it. Eat healthy, excercise, keep within your alloted calories and you will do fine!:flowerforyou:
  • pinkpixies
    Options

It's not stupid darlin, we all have them. Just don't let it control you. It's obvious to me that you are a smart girl and you know that it isn't the right way. By telling us about it, you are doing the right thing and taking steps to confront those thoughts. Just promise us that if they continue you'll talk to a professional, there is no shame in it at all, and they might even be able to help you direct it towards even more success in your weight loss journey!

I have a therapist (who knows nothing about eating disorders or weight loss LOL) and I go to an eating disorders clinic for OP treatment once a week...I see my nutritionist there tomorrow. I may mention it then...
  • JeremyInvincible
    Options

I have a therapist (who knows nothing about eating disorders or weight loss LOL) and I go to an eating disorders clinic for OP treatment once a week...I see my nutritionist there tomorrow. I may mention it then...

I hope you do. Plus we're always here to listen if you need to talk.

Thanks for trusting us enough to tell us.

We love ya Pixie!!!
  • pinkpixies
    Options

I hope you do. Plus we're always here to listen if you need to talk.

Thanks for trusting us enough to tell us.

We love ya Pixie!!!

thanks. :heart:
  • ali106
    ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
    Options
    aw sweetie!!!

you got some great advice already and I'm just chimmin' in to agree that we are totally here for you honey...and know how hard it can be!!!

big hugs and thinking of you!!!
    Ali :flowerforyou:
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    Options
    Pixie...aww sweetie...that is a seriously scary thought. You don't think you would actually go through with that do you? I'm sure you know how illogical it is, right?

If you get on a website called "To Write Love On Her Arms" and read some of the horrors associated with cutting yourself I'm almost positive you may change you train of thought.

Big hugs girl....and we are all here if you need us. Ok?

:heart: :heart:
  • saralaisblueeyes
    Options
    I used to donate plasma twice a week and i think it made me gain weight. somone told me it does and from what i was seeing i beleave it. i had far better results when not donating, so i do not do it anymore. (yes i know you get your blood back when doing so but your body still has to replace the plasma the same as it would the blood.)
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    If you get on a website called "To Write Love On Her Arms" and read some of the horrors associated with cutting yourself I'm almost positive you may change you train of thought.

Big hugs girl....and we are all here if you need us. Ok?

:heart: :heart:

I just saw something on the TV the other night about that site "To Write Love on Her Arms." YOu might want to check it out.

And, i suggest you do talk to your professional help.

Please keep in mind that while we are here to listen, and yes we care, NONE OF US here have the professional knowledge to assist you in some areas, ok? You need to talk things out with someone who knows how to help you, not just listen like we can do. AND there is big difference--please talk to your professional help. Explain the difficulties you've having and the thoughts you've having and maybe they can try something different to help you.

God bless!