very important advice please...:/ new to mfp exercise calori

Options
im new to this program...and im learning as i go..but i hve NOT been eating my exercise calories, i bearly can finish my daily calories... I need help.. is it that important to eat those calories and why? im just not hungry after i been to the gym and ate dinner and snack.. Also should the exercise calories be junk food? to use them? so many questions plz?:frown:

Replies

• hush7hush
    hush7hush Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Definitely do NOT eat junk food with them.
    that will defeat the purpose.

Everyone has different opinions on eating back exercise calories.
    I personally do NOT. And I continue to lose weight.
    Some people swear by it.
    Personal preference.
    You have to try different things to find out what works for you.
  • Newkell
    Newkell Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    I don't eat back my exercise calories. I wouldn't suggest you do so with junk food. I prefer to eat clean and avoid processed food whenever possible. As a resuld I feel better then ever!
  • Airbear3
    Airbear3 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    i was eating them and losing 2 lbs a week which is great and healthy nut no i stopped and lose 4-5 lbs a week. when the scale stops movin i'll eat em' to restart! loaded question on here, do what works for you!
  • mangos4music
    mangos4music Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    i have read articles stating you should eat back half of your exercise calories if you do eat them back but not all of them, and def not junk food! junk foods gonna be packed with cholestoral and sodium, and youll pack on water weight. snacks like yogurt os nuts are always good, i love raw almonds personally
  • wiggleroom
    wiggleroom Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of them, but not all. A lot of people will tell you to eat them all, because if you don't, you're essentially under 1200 calories for the day which puts you in starvation mode. At the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me, I struggle with that notion. I totally understand the math, but I honestly believe the "starvation mode" thing applies to actual intake of calories, not net. And I can say from my own experience (which is the best teacher, since EVERY body is different), I do best when I'm eating 1400 to 1600 calories, whether I burn 350 or 650.

And I know that others will disagree, and that's fine. I don't mind -- just sharing from my own experience.

The most important thing about your calories (besides the number!) is that they are QUALITY calories. If you really need to bump up your number, eat whole nuts. High in calories, but a huge health benefit.
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I think you probably just need to really listen to your body. If you're losing but it slows down, try eating some of the calories back. If you're not eating terribly low but things are still moving along you're probably fine. If you do eat the calories, make sure they're good foods. You're earning those through exercise which means you're taxing your body. Eating good, healthy food will allow your body to replenish it's stores and rebuild things you've torn down. It you're struggling to get enough calories just remember healthy fats will be higher in calories and are very, very good for you. Avocados and nuts are two good example of this type of food. Calorie dense but also packed with nutrition!
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Girl..The word junk should be removed from your vocabulary!! LOL..but seriously I would suggest trying to eat as close to your calorie intake even after the exercise cals are added..Your body needs that nutrition..I found it fairly weird when I first joined but it works.. Just find healthy selection try to organize your meals..It will take some time to get use to it but try to at least be within 300 ..of those calories..
  • jennykling
    jennykling Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Yes, you need to eat those calories. If your body does not receive enough fuel (food) it will go into starvation mode so you need to be careful and try to get as close to the amount of calories as recommended as possible. I would not recommend junk food to fill those calories although if you exercise and have the calories it is okay to splurge on those items occasionally. If you know you are going to work out try getting your calories throughout the day instead of after your workout if you don't like eating then. I don't know what kind of foods you like but focus on nutrient rich foods like fruits, vegetables, and nuts for example. Granola bars and string cheese are also quick foods to grab that are good snacks. I really like fiber one bars because it has some chocolate but gives you 9 grams of fiber. Good luck hope this helped.
  • cc_campbell81
    Options
    Like others said you'll get mixed opinions on whether or not to eat them. I saw a nutritionist who said as long as you don't eat less than 1200 calories it's okay not to eat them back. I would see how it goes and if you aren't losing then change it up. Like the others said avoid junk food. There are so many good snacks out there that are healthy. You can eat fruit, nuts, celery with peanut butter, etc. Welcome to the site. It changed my life. I hope you have success too. Just keep moving forward and trying even if you have bad days, set backs, or struggles.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I've been around a little and I can tell you what worked for me- not what works for you.
    I didn't eat back my exercise calories EVER when I started. I got to a point where I wasn't anywhere near my goal but I stopped losing weight. At that point I started eating back some (not all- it was a struggle to get me to eat a few back). As I've neared my goal (I have about 5-10 pounds to go) I have started eating more of them back as more calorie dense food. Somedays I eat them all, somedays I don't eat any. Some days I eat my exercise calories and yours... :laugh:

Listen to your body- if you're tired and worn out and can't think straight... you need fuel- eat. If you're fine, don't worry about it. Just try to get a healthy balance of food and a decent calorie intake and you'll be ok.

:drinker:
  • Adbrown1956
    Adbrown1956 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    thanks cause i am so confused... seems like im eating all the time...lol :smile:
  • whatupskinnyjeans
    whatupskinnyjeans Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I eat back some of them, but not all. A lot of people will tell you to eat them all, because if you don't, you're essentially under 1200 calories for the day which puts you in starvation mode. At the risk of having tomatoes thrown at me, I struggle with that notion. I totally understand the math, but I honestly believe the "starvation mode" thing applies to actual intake of calories, not net. And I can say from my own experience (which is the best teacher, since EVERY body is different), I do best when I'm eating 1400 to 1600 calories, whether I burn 350 or 650.

And I know that others will disagree, and that's fine. I don't mind -- just sharing from my own experience.

The most important thing about your calories (besides the number!) is that they are QUALITY calories. If you really need to bump up your number, eat whole nuts. High in calories, but a huge health benefit.
    yes i agree with you! the number of eaten not net... and some of the exercise cals would be burned had you done nothing so i dont eat them all unless its a binge day of sorts