Mom with bladder issues

Options
2»

Replies

• BecksgotBack
    BecksgotBack Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Try a pad specific to the problem, like Poise, as opposed to the usual femine napkin. Find the brand that suits you best, and adjust running wear accordingly. Astronauts wear diapers in space, so that might be a better solution to bunching for an athlete. There are plenty of ladies with the problem and plenty of products designed to provide a solution, so there is no reason to give up exercise and become an old lady before your time.

seriously??? find me a poise pad that fits a thong and i'm all set. running with a diaper? i challenge any woman out there to run 3-5K wearing a diaper and let me know how it turns out.
  • callipygianchronicle
    callipygianchronicle Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I know you're reluctant to be seen by a doctor, but after the birth of my daughter and a subsequent hemorrhage and emergency hysterectomy, I was left with literally no communication from my bladder. I couldn't tell when it was full and I had a very hard time getting it empty. I had to change my pants several times a day because of overflow issues. yes, my early months of motherhood were kind of a nightmare. I was prescribed a pessary which I wore for a while to help support my pelvic floor while everything healed. Even if you only wore it while working out, i think you might benefit, until your pelvic floor gets stronger.

I was also taught how to do "elevator kegels" where you contract the muscles moving up the wall section by section and then back down again. If you are doing it correctly, it's very tiring. You will feel how weak your muscles actually are. But for me was effective in getting things working well again. The whole process took over two years. I still have problems when sneezing, but no leakage during aerobics, dancing, or anything like jumping jacks.

Also, have heard great things about Lindsay Brin's DVD called Core Sequencing Method. It has abdominal exercises that are specifically targets at mom's.
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness, I went and hid in the bathroom last week during boxing class because we were doing skipping and I had a leakage, how embarrassing.

I regularly do pelvic floor exercises and I only occasionally have a problem, but I've started using pads now just as a precaution.

Good luck.

GG
  • meldaniel
    meldaniel Posts: 111
    Options
    I had severe urinary incontinence after having a 10 lb baby. I could not carry groceries into the house without leaking, sneezing meant stop walking, cross legs and squeeze to keep from leaking, and forget exercise. I was constantly in the bathroom and I began to dehydrate myself over time because I did not like to drink fluids for fear of all the leaking. I was 30 when I had my son and I just felt this was no way to live life at such a young age.
    I tried the kegals, the training weights (balls), double elimination when I would use the bathroom, medication to control the urge/stress feeling...everything! Nothing worked. I finally got fed up and told my doctor I was ready to explore the surgical options. To my surprise she told me that she had had a vaginal bladder sling put in several years ago because she is a runner and could not run comfortably anymore due to her incontinence. She said the sling surgery was the best thing she ever did for herself and referred me to her urologist.
    As I started to research the sling procedure I became terrified by all the bad, scary things I read online about the mesh that is used. I ended up waiting another year because of the fears that I would have these "worst case scenario" side effects. After another humiliating and uncomfortable year I decided that it was worth the risk so I booked my surgery. The surgery was simple, not painful and recovery very fast. I had an amazing doctor (a female doctor) who must have really known what she is doign because I had none of the scary side effects I had read about. I was able to pee without a cathader when I woke up, went home same day, and within 2 weeks my urine was flowing normally and I was not leaking AT ALL. 2 years later I am enjoying a completely leak-free life! Jumping jacks are the only exercise that has caused me to have that familiar "about to leak" feeling but nothing comes out even then. Running, sneezing, whatever I do I am normal now! There are no scars from this surgery and most insurance covers it. I have Tricare and it was no problem. Good luck to you!!!!
  • berniemay
    berniemay Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I, too, had bladder sling surgery. (Almost two years ago.) This is the best thing that I have ever done!! No more leaks! I can run, jump, sneeze, cough, and laugh without any problems.
  • ShellGetsFit
    ShellGetsFit Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    OMG...I am right there with you all! I have had three children and it wasn't until after my third that I've had issues. The first time it happened I was running, I hadn't really realized that it was pee until it was way too late. The second time was while working out with my friend doing HIIT 15...embarassing!! It's happened many times since and I've also resorted to using pads (absolutely gross and uncomfy). I plan to go and speak with my doc about it.
  • BrendaBlis
    BrendaBlis Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I just made my appointment with a urologist and was looking for info here, thanks for your stories, I look FORWARD to being able to cough, sneeze, laugh, jump and run without worry! :happy:
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    bump