Date Night Help!

Options
mellimeter
mellimeter Posts: 102 Member
My husband and I have very opposite schedules, but tomorrow night the starts have aligned just right - and we are going on a date night, the plan? Dinner and a movie. My husband let me pick the restaurant, so I've already completed my research and know where we are going and what to order off of the menu, but I'm worried about the movie. Going to a movie almost always means popcorn and Twizzlers; however I really do not want to sabotage myself.

My husband is super skinny and in need of gaining eight, so I doubt I can convince him to share a small popcorn without butter. . .so does anyone have tips on how to survive a movie date? Maybe some healthy snacks I can smuggle in my purse, so that when he's gulping down his large soda and buttered popcorn I'm not "jealous," craving, or tempted to cheat?

Thanks!
-Melissa

Replies

• EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    smuggle in a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and a diet soda :) lol
  • BranMuffin21
    BranMuffin21 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    bring in your own goodies. I've done that before. The Fatfree pretzels, cucumbers, etc. Don't recomend Carrots or anything really crunchy as they can be very loud during the movie.

Enjoy your date night!
  • leftymac
    leftymac Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Do you *have* to snack during the movie? I used to think that I did, but then I realized most of the snacks were always gone by the time the movie started. So now, I don't.
  • StaceyL76
    StaceyL76 Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    Bring in a bag of baby carrots or almonds.. or celerey or peppers..
  • Brandicaloriecountess
    Brandicaloriecountess Posts: 2,126 Member
    Options
    I have been to the movies a few times. Once I ate a few handfuls of popcorn I got for the kids but it made me feel blah. The next time I smuggled in a skinny cow bar with 110 calories.
  • countingitall
    countingitall Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree big purse night smuggle in what you want, know what you got and you will be a winner. Nice job planning ahead and asking for advice.
  • knelson422
    knelson422 Posts: 308
    Options
    I sneak snacks to movies ALL of the time. Take some baby carrots and celery and a water or diet soda. Sounds nerdy, but it helps. Then I don't eat that nasty popcorn and that other crap that calls my name. Good luck. Enjoy the show!!
  • 1horseygirl1
    1horseygirl1 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    if its a daytime movie i take a trim latte, if its evening then a lowcal ginger beer usually gets me through. It is quite sureal at first not chewing through the whole movie but is a good habit to change.

edited to say.... have a fantastic date night :)
  • wwhite94
    wwhite94 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I just went on a movie/dinner date with my husband and we had a nice dinner ( i too did my research for the restaurant) by the time i got to the movies i was still full from dinner and didnt need any snacks. But if you want to be prepared take some trail milx or low calorie granola bar and large bottle of water( water will help you feel full )
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Do you *have* to snack during the movie? I used to think that I did, but then I realized most of the snacks were always gone by the time the movie started. So now, I don't.
    THIS. You yourself have said that your hubby can afford the calories but you can't. Don't think of it as depriving yourself of a treat, think of it as saving your money (and calories) for that new dress a size smaller. :bigsmile:
  • pannacottayum
    pannacottayum Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Warning: Devil's Advocate....

if your date night is truly a once in a blue moon occurrence, ditch the calorie counting, it's one night. Don't let your diet overshadow your time together. You should be happily anticipating the evening, not worrying about what you're gonna eat/not eat at the movies.
    ...my 2 cents
  • mellimeter
    Options
    Warning: Devil's Advocate....

if your date night is truly a once in a blue moon occurrence, ditch the calorie counting, it's one night. Don't let your diet overshadow your time together. You should be happily anticipating the evening, not worrying about what you're gonna eat/not eat at the movies.
    ...my 2 cents

Pannacottayum, while I understand your point of view, I'm only 3 days into being on My Fitness Pal, tracking my calories; therefore, I belive it is too early for me to steer off track. Regardless, I am not necessarily "worried" about what I'm going to eat and/or not eat, I was just looking for suggestions on snacks that I can bring along! I am looking forward to an evening with my husband very much so, and I'm excited to show him that I've made changes in my diet and my health.
  • SLaw4215
    SLaw4215 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    You could pack bite size fruit (grapes, strawberries, blueberries) or Diamond brand makes chocolate or cinnamon dusted almonds 100 calorie packs (good for crunch -- satisfies like candy).
  • linz_83
    linz_83 Posts: 45
    Options
    I went thru this last weekend!
    hubby had popcorn & dr pib
    kids had peanut m&m's and twislers

I CHEWED GUM!

If you want to keep it lovey dovey and "share something" PLAN for it look up how much 1or2 cups of popcorn is . . and ask yourself if its worth it! . . then add it to your diary and move on with your life.

Good luck to you. . and remember to have fun!
  • lindseyportugal
    lindseyportugal Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey girl,

My advice would be not to snack. There is some sort of brain chemistry thing that associates food with TV/Movies when you do it a lot. It is why anytime the TV is on, I always have the desire to "munch". I would train myself to not eat while I am at the movies. Most of the time you don't fully enjoy what you are eating anyway, as you just shovel it in while the movie is going. It is more like mindless eating. That is never good.

:) Though, I do know how hard it is with a skinny hubby... my hubby is lighter than me.. and probably has like 3% body fat.
  • mellimeter
    Options
    Thanks for all the tips everyone! It ended up being a fabulous night, and we ended up at our recently refurbished AMC movie theater which now has a restaurant inside. . .you eat a meal while watching the movie, so I ate a salad instead of munching on popcorn! Success.

Thanks again :)
  • laurenek
    laurenek Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    We had a movie night date last week too, and while we were there, I saw on the previews that it looks like they offer a pre-packaged box of all healthy snacks at the AMC...also, if you didn't see it, when you go right into the concession area on the regular side, they now have a selection of all of their healthier items in one area. They pointed it out to us when they were doing the refurbishment-super nice! I just made sure to steer clear of the concession are this time and go straight to the theater, but it looks like at least our AMC is doing a good job of having some healthier items!
  • mellimeter
    Options
    Lauren,

We ended up lucking out by going to the Fork and Screen - they had really yummy salads! Eating a salad during a movie instead of popcorn? Yes, please!