I'll start my diet right after this cupcake....

Options
Hi everyone! I'm a 25 (eep, when did that happen?) year old who got married last year and suddenly realized how fat she was. It was astonishing how you can just ignore it for so long until something like wedding pictures make you realize that you need to do something and fast.

I've tried diets, I've tried exersize but the motivation for me isn't there. I mean it is, but I am just so damn lazy. So I'm hoping that I can be an adult for once and stick with what I've started and hopefully reach my goal weight before I turn 30. Oh god, the horror.

Replies

• Sarean
    Sarean Posts: 77
    Options
    First of all 30 isn't so bad. :) Actually I'm much happier now than I was at 25.

And you can absolutely lose that weight before your big milestone birthday. Track your food, burn those calories and set up a support network to praise and push you.
  • ladyluck4210
    ladyluck4210 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Hey

Hun, there is no reason why you can't reach your goal by the time you're 27 let alone before you are 30. My goal is to be physically where I want to be by Christmas 2012, and I have a lot more to lose than you :-( BUT I can just say this...this site is going to help you! It's already helped me. I've only been here about a week but I'll tell ya what, the support here is AMAZING! You will make it. Congrats on your wedding and welcome to MFP :-)

~Becki
  • That_Girl
    That_Girl Posts: 1,324 Member
    Options
    HAHA Welcome and good luck!

I'll be 35 in June and I can't wait. My 30s have been MUCH better than my 20s ;)
  • CricketKate
    CricketKate Posts: 3,657 Member
    Options
    I have very similar thoughts.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/225251-just-for-today

That's a link to a thread dedicated to starting after this cupcake.
  • flukes9
    flukes9 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Well, congrats on taking the first step by being here! It's hard to stick with it...I love food and I tend to lose and slowly creep right back up because I can't stand restricting myself. Just start small and don't diet...just cut back a bit. For me, I'll still get my Starbucks white mochas, but maybe a tall instead of venti and no whipped cream. It's a start and any change you make, even small ones, will help you lose weight over time. I overindulged yesterday but did a good workout today. Just enjoy smaller amounts of foods you enjoy and add in lots of water and keep track of what you eat. I hate to exercise too, but I mix it up and do have a few things I do enjoy, like Zumba, mountain-biking, rollerblading and my 30-day shred video. (Well, that one's not fun, but it works and it's done in 20 minutes without leaving the house). Just find something you like to do (dancing counts) or at least walk around the neighborhood. It's a process, but simple math works...move more, eat less. You have support here!
  • lcoulter23
    lcoulter23 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I turn 30 in July and I am fine with it. I know I am not going to lose 180 more pounds by then and I am fine with that. I will even be fine if by the time I turn 31 I have only lost half of the weight I need to lose. You will be in the clear way before your 30th birthday as long as you stay on track and don't get derailed too much. I also agree with the statement to take things slow. This is a lifestyle change, meaning you should keep this lifestyle for the rest of your life. You don't necessarily have to count calories for the rest of your life or even stop trying new things or even your favorite things. The key is to use moderation and exercise portion control. If you want to you can go ahead and add me, I would be glad to be your friend.
  • fitcrew
    fitcrew Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Hey girl.....first of all...If you are on this site you are making an effort to get started on your journey....the most important part is that you have to want it.....once you get going it will become easier and you will want it more and more....I recommend educating yourself so that you are armed with all the tools you will need to be prepared for anything that comes your way.I also recommend making it priority everyday for YOU.Make it a challenge!Good luck!! I will send ya a friend request :)
  • JenKoz4
    JenKoz4 Posts: 37
    Options
    I have a habit of having a little mini mid life crisis every time I turn a year older. I always said I was going to die when I was 50, since I didn't like the thought of being old. 25 is officially the half way mark of the end of my life, or what I thought it was for so many years. LOL.

Thanks everyone :) I'm going to stick with it, I think its helpful to actually talk to people who are going through the same struggles I do instead of whining to my skinny "Oh I'll just go run ten miles, even though I haven't run in a year." husband :p

My biggest problem is snacking, its so much easier than making food, especially on the weekends when I'm vegging out at home. Well snacking and baking, god I love to bake. Cake batter is going to be the death of me!
  • penny5
    penny5 Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    The title of your topic made me laugh. I am that person and now I just count the cupcake and shave calories somewhere else (most days!) I will send you a friend request if you want some encouragement :flowerforyou:
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Hahaha, 30 crept up on me!

Some thoughts about motivation:
    1. Having a partner in crime increases your success rate; that could be your hubby or a friend. Find a good partner to lose weight with!
    2. Baby steps. Pick one small goal to start with... that could be 10 solid minute of exercise each day, cutting the glass of wine with dinner, making sure to have one fruit a day, etc. Pick reasonable goals. You need little successes to empower you to achieve big success.
    3. You will mess up some days. IT'S OK to mess up. You learn to pick yourself up (see how that partner helps?) and keep going. I've been at this for 6 months now and you can see I'm pretty close to my goal in my ticker, but it doesn't mean it's smooth sailing. I messed up yesterday... I just wanted to eat b/c I felt hungry so I went over by about 200 Cal (at least it was mostly healthy foods). The point is, yeah I goofed, but today is a new attempt at being good and I'm alright so far.

In my journey to get here, I think these 3 things are the most important to keep me going.
  • azucenatamez
    Options
    hey! no horror in being 30, I am 31 and every single day of my life is worth it! haha
    good luck with your journey!
  • menchi
    menchi Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    Well snacking and baking, god I love to bake. Cake batter is going to be the death of me!

I love baking too! I've had to cut out a lot of that since I started dieting. Now I love potlucks and meetings where I can bake stuff for other people. I can manage to control myself for a few hours in public... but days at home with cake/cookie/pie/yummmmmmmy and I'm bound to lose the battle.

I've replaced baking time with cooking healthy food time. It still takes mental effort to figure out what goes well together and that's the part I liked about baking (plus the lovely smells).
  • TakuraHunt
    TakuraHunt Posts: 208
    Options
    I know how you feel. I will be 30 (OMG) this October... I have been married for 6 years and each year I've joking said has added 5 pounds to my body. I have tried diets, diet supplements, workout routines, you name it - I've tried it. A couple of months ago I saw myself in the mirror and wanted to cry. OMG who is this person looking back at me - can that really be me... Thats when I knew it was time to change something. There are times when I am really really motivated, and there are times when I just want to be lazy. But lazy is why I am so heavy, so depressed, and so uncomfortable. I think you will be fine - welcome to MFP... Maybe we will be able to support and motivate each other.
  • laughteroutofplace
    laughteroutofplace Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Congrats on taking the first step! I am pretty new to this site too but I have loved it. And hated it at times haha. MFP (my fitness pal) really makes you aware of how much you're putting into your body which is great but can be frustrating when you are looking at that lovely, delectable cupcake with your name written all over it. It's also a great place to find a support network. I haven't introduced myself on one of these forums but I am realizing how important support is. Feel free to add me if you'd like. I do better when I am working with someone towards a goal.

Just remember, take it a day at a time. You will have your ups and downs but jumping on here and asking for support when you need it the most is going to really help you get to your goal. YOU GO GIRL!