Safety Running at Night

Options
I went for a run around 9:30 tonight and had a scare. I was doing my cool down walk on the stretch between my addition and the one behind us when a car driving towards me slowed down. Once about 10 yards past me it stopped and a man got out. I saw him take one step in my direction and I took off. After a bit I looked behind me to see his car pulling away. I live in a very safe, family-oriented suburban community and never worried about my safety. I run in my and two other neighborhoods, which are well lighted except for the 1/4 mile stretch between them. I don't know why the guy stopped (directions, car trouble, or something more sinister), but now I am a little nervous about my run Thursday night. When you run after sunset what safety precautions do you take? Do I get a can of mace? Do you vary your routes each time?

Replies

• britachu
    britachu Posts: 157
    Options
    Scary!

I run with my boyfriend or another friend if I run at night, because I'm too paranoid to run by myself...
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in running earlier (prior to 6am) and would like to hear how others deal with this! Being scared of the poor intentions of some of the public is what keeps me inside so far :(
  • makeachange22
    Options
    get a running partner, because it's unlikely it will happen again but if it does do you really want to be the victim in this case? and i'd run with a whistle personally and i have, and i always stuff my CELL in my bra or somewhere safe. it's precautions but running buddy best option
  • Nikstergirl
    Nikstergirl Posts: 1,549 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but I don't run after dark. This is why. I refuse to feel unsafe, and I just don't feel safe when I can't see what's going on.. and people can't see me!!! I also made the mistake of looking up the sex offenders in my area, and there were a LOT! I know most of them are probably not ever going to do anything, and they deserve to live in peace, but it really creeps me out to know how many live in my town and in my neighborhood... that means crazy people are seriously everywhere! I wouldn't have gotten too close either. I live in a small quiet town, but no running alone in the dark for me and I always run in "public" like on the sidewalks in town where people are around and could see if something happened to me. Sorry, I'm really no help, but be safe out there!!!
  • lilbuddytatertot
    lilbuddytatertot Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    pack heat and run with someone slower than you.. haha. jk, but all the other suggestions are good
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Yes, run with someone or borrow a dog!!!! If my next door neighbor can't come with me then I take their dog.
    I run the same way depending on how far I run...

L
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Just a few tips I have heard and recommend;

Always tell people where you will be (your route) and when you are expected to return.

Always carry a cellphone.

Carry some form of noise maker (air horn, police whistle etc)

Travel in a pack or with a buddy. There is safety in numbers.

Don't carry a weapon. People who are not trained to use them have a high likelyhood of having them used against them.

Wear brightly colored reflective clothing.

If you need to run on the road, run towards traffic rather than with it. If you can see the driver, you have a better chance of avoiding an accident.

Carry money for a cab\bus etc.

Don't run in unfamiliar areas what seems safe to you may actually pose unknown risks (crack house anyone?)

Most importantly... be aware of your surroundings. Devices like Ipods are great, but they limit your ability to fully comprehend threats as they happen.
  • AvocadoLover
    Options
    I always run early mornings on trails which can sometimes be intimidating but I hardly ever see anyone out there. Cell phones don't work, but I run with my dog everyday. She is not super intimidating (she's a lab) but she's 85 lbs and she has a very mean bark. She is very attentive to her surroundings so I hope her bark alone would scare off any potential predators. I always run with my headlamp when it's dark as well. Light up your path so you have more awareness of what (or who) is around you.

I would say overall though, don't let fear get in the way of your runs! Grab a friend, or a dog, or whomever and enjoy!
  • kanonxbou47
    kanonxbou47 Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I live in a non-that-great neighborhood, and when I go out at night, I bring my dog- he bites and barks at anything he sees. Including statues. Better safe than sorry.
    Also, only have one headphone on your ears so you can hear anything that approaches.

Bring pepper spray, or some sort of weapon such as a golf club.

Or find a jogging buddy that likes running at night.

Good luck!
  • Abigailblue39
    Abigailblue39 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    Never would I go without my grouchy Great Dane Abigail Blue. Now, she's too old to run so we are more into walking these days(Daylight, dark, I never had anyone come near us, hehe)
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    Majority seems to be bring a friend or dog...

what if I have no friends and no dog? =/
  • jeffrodgers1
    jeffrodgers1 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I live in a non-that-great neighborhood, and when I go out at night, I bring my dog- he bites and barks at anything he sees. Including statues. Better safe than sorry.
    Also, only have one headphone on your ears so you can hear anything that approaches.

Bring pepper spray, or some sort of weapon such as a golf club.

Or find a jogging buddy that likes running at night.

Good luck!

Problem with bringing a weapon is that in many cases it can be used against you. The Police will tell you such.
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    run smart everyone!

bright colors in the day

illuminite at night

forget the ipod, you need to pay attention and always run towards to traffic so you can run defensively
  • Schwiggity
    Schwiggity Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    You could get mace. I always have my cell phone with me since it's my music player as well.
  • iowagirl09
    iowagirl09 Posts: 23
    Options
    and i'd run with a whistle personally and i have, and i always stuff my CELL in my bra or somewhere safe.

I've never thought about a whistle before! Storing that one in the back of my head! Thanks. And i always hate carrying my phone (afraid I'm going to drop it), it never crossed my mind to stuff it in my bra before. Why? I don't know.

Thanks for the ideas!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    mace is a cheap solution if you have nobody or a dog to go with, it should be around $10(the price at my work is 7.99 unless you buy bear mace lol) they are pretty portable to carry as well.
  • phenrichs
    phenrichs Posts: 102
    Options
    Majority seems to be bring a friend or dog...

what if I have no friends and no dog? =/

A fanny pack holster with a compact pistol. Something like this. You don't always need a cannon of a handgun to deter a scumbag.

http://www.blackhawk.com/product/Weapon-Fanny-Pack,879,88.htm
  • elliecolorado
    elliecolorado Posts: 1,040
    Options
    I avoid running at night, but around here it is more due to not wanting to run into any bears or mountain lions. But no matter where/when I am running I always carry my phone (and yes I too carry it in my bra). Not sure that anything apart from carrying a gun would really help against a bear/mountain lion. My brother always carries a gun though hiking, mountain biking, running and tells me that I should.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would never run at night or in dusk for this reason. Carry an alarm with you when you run.