Nature Wants to Help Us Lose Weight...We Should Let It!

Options
Okay, so this may be a slightly biased post, since my father is a vendor at a growers and crafters market. But right now I am obsessed with strawberries...and corn...and tomatoes...and artichokes! Everything this time of year is SO GOOD. As one of my fellow MFP'ers, if you don't take advantage of the delicious bounty of nature right now, you're doing yourself a serious diservice. This is my shout out to those among us who provide this amazing, fresh food and work hard to bring it to us.

I highly recommend doing a google search for CSA (or community supported agriculture). This is a great service from your local farmers where you can receive your weekly share of what's fresh on their farm that week. It may require you to use some creativity, but it's totally worth it! Also, check out where your farmer's market is (if you've only had strawberries from a big box supermarket, get ready to live!) and hit them up. Not only are they worthy of your income, but what they give is of so much higher quality.

We all know what happens when we eat more fruits and veggies...come with me and PARTAKE! :):)

Replies

• ChristinaRamos
    Options
    AGREED!!!!!!!!! VEGGIES AND FRUITS CAN MAKE OR BREAK YOUR DIET!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Peaches and blueberries! MMMM...
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Blueberries. I ate 3 pints of blueberries this weekend. Didn't feel a need to go off my meal plan..... sooooooo many blueberries. <happy sigh>
  • Hopeinanguish
    Hopeinanguish Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I can't wait for peaches!
  • thatalchemistgirl
    Options
    Million of peaches, peaches for me. Millions of peaches, peaches for free. >.>
  • BethanyMasters
    BethanyMasters Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Waiting for the local vendor to open up down the street. All natural, all organic tomatoes and green peppers and squash and a ton of other stuff. And all for a reasonable price (def cheaper than the grocery store). I can't wait!

I've also already been eating a ton of blueberries. All the berries are on sale at the grocery store lately. Definitely gonna get some more on my next shopping trip.
  • kaitimae
    kaitimae Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    We have peach trees in our yard and they are SOOOOOOOOOOOO delicious!!! Sadly, peaches only grow every other year, so I have to wait til next summer to get my own peaches again. Until then, I will definitely be hitting up the farmer's market for them as well as other fruits and veggies.

You are so right, fruits and veggies taste a million times better from the farmer's market than any you can get at the store!!! =)
  • cutmd
    cutmd Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    Amen! The strawberries are so sweet this season, and I am loving the cherries and the crunchy Fuji apples that taste better than candy! I dont know of any CSAs here but go to the farmer's market at least once a week with my hubby and always have a great time meeting the people who grow my food. It's also a great way to get organic produce cheaply and half the vendors are pesticide free. OP your dad is my hero! :flowerforyou: