Kindle or Nook Color????

Options
kesteele
kesteele Posts: 127
I have been debating on buying which one -- Price really doesn't matter but Those are the two that I am in between. I do have glasses/contacts so I know a kindle would be easier on the eyes. But I like the option of wifi on the nook color. I also know apparently battery life is better on a kindle but not sure about it -- would people please give opinions if you have one or the other to help. I'm going to play with one of each -- I have a few friends that have nook colors and my aunt has a kindle so I'm going to play with the kindle friday and the nooks sometime before I buy. but other opinions/fact info is appreciated!!! THANKS!

Replies

• OutDaWay
    OutDaWay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Both are really nice. If you decide the Kindle then I would suggest the XL. Looking at the Kindle is easier on the eyes. Nook color though is more like a pad.
  • michelle_mareshfuehrer
    michelle_mareshfuehrer Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    For me, the decision was based on the books I was able to purchase and the price of the books. I found that B&N had a better selection and better deals, so I went with the Nook. But that may be different for you depending on the types of books you read, etc.
  • CallMeMamaBoo
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE our NOOK COLOR! My 16 month old daughter and 8 year old daughter use it also. They have awesome apps FINALLY. My oldest practices her math and spelling and reads and reads and reads. My youngest loves the drawing apps and the books that are read out loud to her. I love reading on the Nook while I am working out on the treadmill or stationary bike. It has a Pandora app too :) I use to get a ton of magazine subscriptions in the mail and have piles of magazines but I get them all on my Nook now for a much cheaper price....plus I can easily access MFP on the Nook and who wouldn't be happy with that?! Battery life does suck especially since we use it heavily but we just get into the habit of keeping it plugged in when not in use or if it's convenient, to have it plugged in while using it. If all you are doing is reading, the battery life last longer. I hope this helps with your decision. :)
  • icewyche
    icewyche Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    The problem with the Kindle is that you're pretty much restricted to buying e-books from Amazon - Kindle uses a proprietary format (I believe it's AZW or a particularly restricted form of MOBI). The Nook at least uses the ePub format, which is fast becoming the industry standard, so you can (at least in theory) buy books from other retailers. I have a Sony Reader myself, so I can't really tell you how the Kindle or Nook stack up as far as battery life. Have you also considered a tablet PC like the Samsung Galaxy Tab or the Motorola Xoom? They're somewhat larger and more expensive than the Nook, but more versatile - word is that the newer Nooks will restrict what kind of content the user can sideload, keeping it more of an e-reader and less of an inexpensive tablet PC.
  • ageros
    ageros Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Really you have to decide what you want out of the device:

- If you want something you can read books with while you are in the sun a lot, then you need to look at one with an e-ink display like the kindle.

- If you'd like a device that has a basic browser, and would be better for full color reading such as emagazine subscriptions, then I'd say go with the color.

The nook color has a very nice screen on it so reading on it won't be bad. Another difference to keep in mind is when you are going to read. If you read a night a lot then the color may be better since it has a built in back light for the lcd, the kindle will require an external light source.

Battery life wise the kindle will be better. This may or may not be a real factor if you are usually close to a place you can charge.

Finally, if you are a bit of a tinkerer then the color is the way to go. The nook color is currently supported by the cyanogen android rom, and so if you want to you can turn your nook color into an inexpensive low power tablet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VUGYI4nhSs&feature=related
  • brndygrl98
    brndygrl98 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I have a regular Nook and I couldn't be happier with it. However, between the Nook Color and the Kindle I would choose the Kindle. The e-ink is much better on the eyes and there is no glare or back-light or anything.
  • iamkelskels
    Options
    I talked to an employee at Barnes and Noble, and he said that basically, if price is no option, you'd be better off getting a iPad than the Nook because a Nook is basically like a stripped down iPad.
    Though, depending on what you are reading, the Nook Color has the really cool option of looking up words in a dictionary by highlighting the word, which.. if you are using the Nook for school or something, would be REALLY beneficial.
  • kesteele
    Options
    well the nook would be used for school in the sense that my laptop weighs like 4lbs and I'm a commuter student as of this year and I refuse to take this danged laptop along with my books everyday. The wifi intrigues me-- I don't want a full ipad since I do have my laptop but like I said I will get a chance to play with both of them before I choose....only thing about the kindle is the lack of connection to the internet and the no back light everything else seems great.
  • OutDaWay
    OutDaWay Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    If it's school related a Nook or a Kindle won't do you much good. You're better off using an actual computer. Notes and projects can't be done on a Nook or a Kindle.

Pad's have their place in the market , but they don't in the class. You will save yourself headache in the long run by getting a do-it-all backpack. Most now come with a thermal envelope in the back for your laptop.
  • MellowGa
    MellowGa Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options
    Kindle has no glare and is more like a book, we have the 3G and all my wife's books got wiped out, Amazon was able to rest it while we were driving to our cruise ship....whew...the 3G is worth it.
  • April5785
    April5785 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love my nook color....i have a 2 year old and it reads the kids books to you! played on a kindle a little, but i love the nook. i think it doesn't matter; whichever one you get is the one you will get accustomed to using and will like. gl!
  • kesteele
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!!!!!!! my fiance is buying me the nook color!!! :) Even tho I dont want him to spend that much money he told me he was buying it for me.
  • CyborgDreamSt8
    Options
    Speaking as someone who has owned an original nook and a kindle I would say just from a quality standpoint the Kindle is MUCH better. As for a nook color I honestly don't consider that an e-reader in any sense of the word, it's simply a tablet computer stripped of almost all of it's usefulness. Honestly I feel it is simply a gimmick, after all if you want to get it to read books then you want it to read books not do a bunch of other useless crap. Not to mention the battery power on my Kindle is amazing, compared to either the regular nook or a nook color that alone will make you a very happy camper. Oh and also they do offer a wifi only version of the kindle.
  • tinalatina
    tinalatina Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Nothing beats my kindle, easy on the eyes and you can adjust your font size if your blind like me. I love the Audible feature. Tons of Free Classic Books and various free book changing monthly. I even get my school books on it. Id have to say why its a winner to me is the free 3g wireless. You buy the kindle and thats it. You dont have to pay a monthly internet fee or anything like that. FREE free....You can use theinternet on the kindle only downfall is, it's black and white and doesnt have a flash payer. Which is no biggee to me because I like to read and dont need distractions like movies to deterr me from my books. I listen to books while i workout and the battery lasts forever. PS did I mention you can play games and even upload pics and music to it....?

Its the best...
  • sunrise611
    sunrise611 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Good luck with the Nook Color. I looked at the Nook and decided against it.

I chose the Sony Reader and love it. It's more expensive than the Kindle but good quality and has a true touchscreen as well as a stylus that I don't use.
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I like my Nook color!