What fruit should I get?

Options
We shop at WalMart or Crest...
And we always get the same fruits. Bananas, apples, (sometimes oranges), and strawberries.

hubby is alergic to kiwi and ive never tried it before...what other fruits should we try this time around? i want something we dont always get, but im scared to try new things

:-s

Replies

• lizzil0
    lizzil0 Posts: 181 Member
    Options
    Blueberries and cantaloupe- both delicious and low in sugar!
  • litebright33
    litebright33 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I love grapes and raspberries and blackberries as well. oh yeah and Pineapple!! That's my favorite :) It has to be fresh and it has to be ripe (golden around the bottom) other wise it can be hard and the acid burns your tongue.
  • peacestar84
    peacestar84 Posts: 100
    Options
    Blueberries and Nectarines are my fav's.
  • dashpainters
    Options
    you should give kiwi a try, its quite delicious and it gives you more vitamin c than a vitamin tablet can give you!
    PS. I am from New Zealand so am a bit bias towards kiwi :o)
  • spelham15
    spelham15 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Strawberries, bananas, pineapple and blueberries. But, I cut them up and freeze them. Frozen bananas are like a completely new treat! Make sure to take the peel off before freezing them though. :)
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    Cherries are coming into season, grapes seem to be on sale, as well as peaches and nectarines. YUM! I love when the seasons start changing and I can get some new yummy fruit!
  • alsnipes
    alsnipes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    It always depends on the season: i reach for the berry family as much as possible. Ripe Mangos are scrumptious and good source of C. I'm a sucker for pineapple but watch out for your sugars that day. A long time ago i had starfruit but i have no clue where to get it. Watermelon is def a seasonal but keeps well. And if you ever get your hands on some Colorado peaches, try to find a way to can them without sugary syrups. they are incredibly sweet. Plums and pears are best eaten when ripe (do the squish test.) Apples come in so many varieties that you can get your sweet or our fix in one section of the fruit aisle!

Happy hunting!!!!!!!!
  • abyssfully
    abyssfully Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Blackberries are DELICIOUS!
  • chris0912
    chris0912 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    My must have fruits: apples, oranges, grapes & bananas year-round and blueberries, pineapple, plums, nectarines, cherries & SEEDED watermelon (seedless watermelon should be BANNED!) when in season. Easiest way to tell if a pineapple is ripe is to try to pluck one of the leaves out from the very top of the crown. If it pulls out with very little pressure, it's good to go! My sister goes one step further by propping it upside-down for a week after she's bought it so the juices distribute equally, but I can never wait that long to cut it up!
  • Ramberta
    Ramberta Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Blueberries are great: antioxidants, taste good, low in sugar. Blackberries and raspberries are nice if you don't mind the seeds. (Though you can always try getting them frozen to use for smoothies!) Peaches and nectarines are messy to eat whole (very juicy) but tasty, though you may have to ripen them in a paper bag for a few days first. Watermelon isn't terribly nutritious but it's very refreshing when ripe. Pineapple is super-sweet and high in sugar but has a wonderful flavor when very ripe. Grapes are a great accompaniment to cheese, with a nice sweet-tart flavor. And cherries, when they're in season, are delicious. Just watch those pits!
  • AliHawkins
    AliHawkins Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    It depends what your hubby is allergic to - my sister has an intolerance of fructose, so things are difficult for her - she can't have apples, pears, watermelon, cantalope, peaches or kiwi - but other fruits are okay, such as pineapple, bananas and I think grapes too. Could you try some of these? If you are not terribly concerned about the allergy issue and just want variety you could try ... plums, pears, apricots, pineapple, grapefruit, rhubarb or berries (raspberries, blueberries or gooseberries) perhaps?
  • Maya1979
    Maya1979 Posts: 37
    Options
    Kiwi, pineapple and mango.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I don't know what is is season where you are, but you could try:
    plums, nectarines, grapes, pineapple, mango, any berries you can find.

Or, just have a look to see what is in season and on special then buy a little bit to try. If you don't like it, you won't have wasted much of it, and if you do like it you can get more next week.

Don't be scared of some of the wierder looking fruits - Dragonfruits are the most beautiful things, not super tasty but look so great sliced up on a fruit platter. Rambutans look like funny little spikey balls but are sweet and soft inside. Persimmons look like hard (or sometimes soft) orange tomatoes but are sweet and taste a little like a cross between an apple and a rockmelon.
    Go on, give something new a try - what is the worst that can happen??
  • lalalalyndsey
    Options
    I LOVE MANGO!!! And also I like getting cuties little clementine oranges... super sweet and wayyy different than oranges (I actually don't like oranges, but I love these!). Oh and pineapple is always a must... I love having it in my cottage cheese! :D
  • pictureperfect101
    Options
    Watermelon, Mangoes, Cantaloupes,
  • MIZZSOLO2012
    Options
    Mango, strawberries, and red seedless grapes after a workout is a meal....:-)
  • TheGoktor
    TheGoktor Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    you should give kiwi a try, its quite delicious and it gives you more vitamin c than a vitamin tablet can give you!

Did you know that it only started to be called a Kiwi fruit in 1962? It was an American importer which changed its name because it was felt that 'Chinese Gooseberry' was inappropriate (China being communist an' all that, and the fruit being native to China)! Bizarrely, Italy is the world's leading producer of kiwi fruit!
    Dragonfruits are the most beautiful things, not super tasty but look so great sliced up on a fruit platter.

I love dragonfruit! I'm really sensitive to fruit acid...in that it makes me screw my face up at the slightest hint of tartness! I find dragonfruit to be perfect because it's really mild and delicate. I also love passionfruit, blueberries & mango.

I had some pomelo yesterday, which was quite pleasant; it's like a giant grapefruit but nowhere near as tart, and much drier (as in not dribbling juice everywhere). I love trying new foods!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options

Did you know that it only started to be called a Kiwi fruit in 1962? It was an American importer which changed its name because it was felt that 'Chinese Gooseberry' was inappropriate (China being communist an' all that, and the fruit being native to China)! Bizarrely, Italy is the world's leading producer of kiwi fruit!
    Dragonfruits are the most beautiful things, not super tasty but look so great sliced up on a fruit platter.

I love dragonfruit! I'm really sensitive to fruit acid...in that it makes me screw my face up at the slightest hint of tartness! I find dragonfruit to be perfect because it's really mild and delicate. I also love passionfruit, blueberries & mango.

I had some pomelo yesterday, which was quite pleasant; it's like a giant grapefruit but nowhere near as tart, and much drier (as in not dribbling juice everywhere). I love trying new foods!

Yes, calling dragonfruit "not tasty" is a little harsh - I should say it is mild, sounds much better.
    And, how could I have forgotten passionfruit - yummy! My husband loves blueberries but I'm not so fond of them and don't usually buy them because they don't grow locally and are pretty expensive.

Last weekend I went to the farmer's market and bought locally grown apples (fuji), mandarins (clementines), plums, grapes, pears (I don't like these much either, they were for my dad) as they are all in season in my part of the world (Western Australia) right now. I'm hanging out for summer to come back so we have mangoes again. They do have imported Mexican mangoes in the market sometimes, but I don't like my fruit to have travelled so far, so I usually resist the temptation and wait until the local ones are in season.
  • Luthorcrow
    Luthorcrow Posts: 193
    Options
    Everything everyone else listed except mangoes, I just can't stand the stringy texture and the always feel more like work than fun.

Another to add to the list is pomegranates, tasty and unique. Also honeydew melons, tomatoes, avocados, tangerines (I prefer them and tangelos over regular oranges), papayas and kumquat (haven't had one in a while but they are grub).
  • Maya1979
    Maya1979 Posts: 37
    Options
    And passionfruit. They're high in potassium and fiber. Also, if you can find passionfruit juice, it's said to be good for people with high blood pressure.