need inspiring with low cal meal ideas

Options
somedays like today I tend to not have many cals left by teatime and have around 400 for a meal, I am struggling to find meal ideas around these cals without going hungry so any ideas would be great!!

Thankyou x

Replies

• foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    try to base your meals around veggies, not your main protein

ie. if you are having chicken with salad and veg, have mostly salad and veg and only one piece of chicken
  • bkelley32148
    bkelley32148 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I'm very much a bulk eater... I definitely agree with the veggie idea and also look for good swaps. Like I really love peanut butter but I dont love 200 calories for 2 tbsp so I found this stuff called PB2 that is 45 calories. Its a dry peanut butter but tastes great.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Here are two of my favorites!!

Homemade Turkey Chili is really good, low cal and very filling. I just brown the meat, add onion, pepper and garlic till soft, then add in some low sodium chili seasoning, some cumin, and 2 cans of diced tomatoes, a can of kidney beans. Then anything else you fancy. Let it cook for a a while blend the flavors. I like to freeze this in single serving sizes.

It's also really good over lettuce with a bit of light thousand island dressing for a quick taco salad.

Buffalo chicken burgers. finely dice and saute onion, celery and carrots in a pan till soft, let cool. Mix in ground chicken and make into patties. Cook on grill or in nonstick skillet, then just splash some hot sauce on them at the end, and use low fat ranch or blue cheese dressing. Add tomato, and lettuce and serve on bun if you have the room in your calories. It's really good and helps satisfy the cravings for wings.

Ven
  • rundgrenfan
    rundgrenfan Posts: 211
    Options
    The other day, I made kebabs with cubes of fish (I used cod although it called for salmon) and vegetables, steamed them in a large pot until everything was tender. I added some fresh herbs and lemon juice at the end. My kids and husband actually liked it, too, and it was a tiny number of calories, 200 or so. It was from Taste of Home magazine.
  • veniceit
    veniceit Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    ohhh for Fish, I LOVE Kraft's Fig Balsamic dressing with Olive oil. I just a small drop of oil in the pan, and heat it up, put your fish in skin side down, and season, flip halfway through season again. Then when it's almost done turn it back skin side down and drizzle on a bit of the dressing. Or you can take the fish out and put the dressing in the pan to heat it up with a bit of water and then pour it over the fish.

The dressing is really good on green beans as well.

I just bought the Mango Chipotle one too I can't wait to try it.

Ven