Debating about 5k

Options
Our hospital is having a 10k/5k run/walk race in Oct. I am debating about whether or not to do the 5k. I am very very overweight but I have discovered that I love to walk. I have only been exercising for about a month now and I only get to get out and really walk on the weekend when my hubby is off. I have to go to the park to do it because we live on the top of a mountain and I worry about cars coming by plus right now I couldnt do as much walking up the mountain. Anyway, Today I did 4.35 miles in 82 minutes. It was mostly walking with a tiny bit of jogging in there. I cant jog for very much at all. I was looking at last years time and the slowest time was 54 minutes for the 5k. I could never go that fast before Oct 4th. DO you think I should go ahead and try and do it anyhow.

Connie

Replies

• connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    Our hospital is having a 10k/5k run/walk race in Oct. I am debating about whether or not to do the 5k. I am very very overweight but I have discovered that I love to walk. I have only been exercising for about a month now and I only get to get out and really walk on the weekend when my hubby is off. I have to go to the park to do it because we live on the top of a mountain and I worry about cars coming by plus right now I couldnt do as much walking up the mountain. Anyway, Today I did 4.35 miles in 82 minutes. It was mostly walking with a tiny bit of jogging in there. I cant jog for very much at all. I was looking at last years time and the slowest time was 54 minutes for the 5k. I could never go that fast before Oct 4th. DO you think I should go ahead and try and do it anyhow.

Connie
  • BrandNewLaura
    BrandNewLaura Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    Yes yes yes! It is for a good cause, and you will feel so good after completing it! Keep walking every day and sign up!
  • Families_R_Forever
    Options
    I SAY HECK YES!!! You can't imagine how good you will feel for not only doing it for a good cause, but also doing it for yourself. Your body and mind will love you. Have a friend do it with you. GOOD LUCK...and let us know how it went. :flowerforyou:
  • rjjarvis
    Options
    ABSOLUTELY DO IT!

Back in 1983 I ran the Marine Corps Marathon in Washington DC. I was a good runner then, and in shape. It was my first and (so far) only marathon.

The surprising thing was who was running along with me: old people, fat people, little kids -- it was amazing. Now, I passed a lot of them by, but they just kept chugging along. They didn't seem to mind that they were running slowly -- they were just having a great time.

Now I'm the fat, out of shape, old guy. But I would absolutely love to chug along in the Marine Corps marathon again some day.

5k is nothing. You can peel that off with no trouble.
  • dothompson
    dothompson Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Absolutely, have fun and it won't be your last walk.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Yes, yes, yes... do it!! You won't regret it!

Jess
  • dolphin7
    dolphin7 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I say yes as well, we have a 5k coming up next weekend here, and I can't get anyone to do it, they all have excuses, so I'm taking my 2 littlest one's, the double jogging stroller and we are going to walk the 5k together. With that said, I did my first 5k 2 years ago, I had a 5 month old that I was still nursing and I was 2 months pregnant and I completed the 5k. I don't know my exact time, but our 5k here is really big, about 10,000 participants, all the stroller mom's start last, so I think we finished around 1 1/2 hours, but I was able to complete the 5k even with morning sickness. I was exhausted by the end, but I felt so good that I did it. So I say yes, give it a try, I think they are just so much fun, and someday in the future my goal is to run one, but that may be a few years down the road. Good luck with your 5k:smile:
  • jamdblake4
    Options
    5K here you come:smile: look out,:glasses:
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    yes.gif YES! Go for it. Have a buddy go with you - or maybe your hubby. You'll have a great time - during the walk you can talk & what girl doesn't love that..... You can do this... Who cares what other people's times are... It's a good cause and will give you a great feeling of accomplishment.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    One race will give you the racing bug, and then you'll want to do another, and another,... and another.... :glasses:

I started racing last year and I ran eleven races. This year, I've only been able to do two :sad: , and I probably shouldn't have done those (due to foot surgery in March). I hope to get back to it in full force next year. I won't feel like myself again until then.

Racing is such a motivator to keep improving your fitness, and people from all abilities participate. Do it -- it's so much fun!
  • calatibo
    calatibo Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    absolutley do it, working towards a target always makes things more fun for me. and i would not be too sure about the time, 4.35 miles in 82 minutes is roughly 18 minute mile, 5k is 3.1 miles (roughly) and i think your pace puts you in at around 58 minutes.

i would definitely go for it!
  • connieq288
    connieq288 Posts: 1,102 Member
    Options
    absolutley do it, working towards a target always makes things more fun for me. and i would not be too sure about the time, 4.35 miles in 82 minutes is roughly 18 minute mile, 5k is 3.1 miles (roughly) and i think your pace puts you in at around 58 minutes.

i would definitely go for it!

Thank you for that. My hubby was saying that a 5k was longer than 5 miles so I thought I was in trouble. LOL. I just called him and told him he was wrong so he told me to go for it. I guess 58 minutes wouldnt be so bad. I would still come in last compared to last years times but that is ok. If my mother in law will watch my kids I will do it then. Its on a really curvy river road so there will be some traffic on there although Im sure not a lot but I dont want to have a stroller on that road.

Connie