I'm so fustrated!

Options
I started this program about 2 months ago now. First month, I dropped 10 lbs and close to 10 inches. Second month I didn't drop a sing pound and I only lost an inch of my waist and a quarter inch of my calfs. No gain though :ohwell:

I'm lifting weights 3 times a week and try to incorporate cardio at least 3 times a week as well. And yes I do have a personal trainer. My diary is open and I don't think I do bad....It could be better, but I don't get it?

Have I already hit the wall?? Is that possible after just 2 months?? I'm so fustrated!! Everyone body's different but seems that others are able to loose weight wthout even trying!!

i'm really trying!! :sad:

suggestions? Opinions?

Replies

• slimcin37
    slimcin37 Posts: 4
    Options
    Dont forget muscle weighs more than fat. Also, shock your metabolism.... try something different foor and/or excersice. Good luck and dont give up!
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    First off, hi neighbor! (I'm in McKinney/Frisco area) I would say more protein. Get to 25-30% of your diet from protein. Drink more water. And definitely more cardio. You should have cardio at least 5x/day. If you have to go up to an hour 3x/week that's fine too. More cardio though. It's good you're measuring... since you have a PT, see if you can get your body fat % measured because that's probably going down as you're lifting.
  • nananie2
    nananie2 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I always find that the first 10 pounds (it's not my first attempt to lose weight, you see... ;-) ) are easier to shed. Then things get to slow down. Try changing your workout routines. Your body gets used to do same exercises and it doesn't have as much effect on it...
    Hope this helps a little. :-)
  • EmilySG2011
    Options
    I know exactly how you feel. I just started this program yesterday...working with the Slimfast 3-2-1 program. I see all of these wonderful ads showing people dropping 10-15 lbs in just a few weeks. I have been exercising 4-5 times per week for a month now and haven't dropped a single pound. Feel good about the 10 lbs!! I am finding that I am not eating enough calories, especially with the Slimfast program--maybe you need to eat more?? Who knows--like you say, everyone's body is different. You are not alone--this is a very difficult battle.
  • Rhon072
    Rhon072 Posts: 1
    Options
    i've been doing this since the end of Feb and I just now lost 2 pounds.
  • fcrisswell
    fcrisswell Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I took a slight peek at your diary but there are somedays (I do it too) that you start to log then don't finish the day out. I know with the holiday weekend it was hard.

Make sure you are logging correctly and log EVERYTHING. Not sure what the resteraunt omelet is that I saw in your diary several times but it could also be that you are underestimating what you are eating. Accuarate calorie count is ver important or you could be under-eating or over-eating.

I would have to say if you are sure about your calorie counts then keep at it. Sometimes the body needs a break to catch up so to speak. Even after having gastric bypass I went through several "stalls" as my body needed time to "catch up". Interestingly enough each time tha happened I would increase my calories a bit and it started losing again. Also, I am now one of those people that will lose nothing for several weeks then "bam" I lose several pounds over the course of several days. In the end it all works out if you stick to it.
  • Psialpha297
    Psialpha297 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    If you are working out three times a week, i would try upping your protien intake, it will help increase tone and if you train the right way mass (idk if thats what your going for), it also takes more calories to burn protiens than fats and carbs.

I would also try switching up your work out routine. Muscle confusion is a great way to overcome a plateau, and avoid future ones

~cheers
  • natskedat
    natskedat Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I wrote a piece a bit over a week ago about hitting plateaus, and how to stimulate weight loss again. I hope it helps!

http://fitnesswithnatalie.blogspot.com/2011/05/most-dreaded-word-in-weight-loss.html

Good luck! You can do this!
  • erxkeel
    erxkeel Posts: 553 Member
    Options
    Try the zig zag!

Theres a website http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

someone just shared ideas on this, check it out!
  • kdougl01
    kdougl01 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I had the same thing happening so I started asking questions .I had a trainer tell me to back off the weights. She told me to concentrate 80% of my workouts on cardio, this way you work on losing fat before toning the muscle. It seems to have worked I am back to going down instead of holding.
  • tuacsmm
    tuacsmm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. Now that the weather is getting nice, try doing other things like swimming, or walking in the mall! Believe it or not, by walking, shopping and trying on clothes actually is a great exercise technique!
  • geeberann
    geeberann Posts: 11
    Options
    This is a very frustrating process. Keep at it though & think more about how good you feel. How much more energy you have. & for goodness sake, go out & enjoy your weather.
  • DeniseGdz
    DeniseGdz Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    First off, hi neighbor! (I'm in McKinney/Frisco area) I would say more protein. Get to 25-30% of your diet from protein. Drink more water. And definitely more cardio. You should have cardio at least 5x/day. If you have to go up to an hour 3x/week that's fine too. More cardio though. It's good you're measuring... since you have a PT, see if you can get your body fat % measured because that's probably going down as you're lifting.

awww..howdy neighbor!! Nice to know we have some locals!!

yes I am measuring and you are correct in the last month I dropped almost 3% body fat. I guess I was just looking for BIGGER numbers??

More protien? But doesn't htat make you more full??? Still trying to learn all this stuff
  • teacher4380
    Options
    Did you update your weight in MFP? That 10 pounds will have made a difference in your calories!!! The main thing is to keep going!!! It also depends on how much weight you are starting with as well...When I weighed 340 pounds...I could walk a mile and lets say "burn 340 calories"...that same mile at the same pace for a 200 pound person may "burn 200 calories"....so you didn't get as much of a burn...some people add their weight back on (weights in hands, vest, etc.) or you can go faster or for a longer distance to still get the "same original burn"!!! Good luck & keep us posted!!!
  • massmech8111
    Options
    Up your protein,stick with the weight training..lean muscle burns calories...the more you have the more calories your going to need...LOG EVERYTHING..water,drinks,salt content,EVERYATHING...until you get into the habit of making healthy choices,its a must..it took me a long time to lose body fat ,because i was greatly underestimating what i ate..MFP has put alot into perspective for me..as far as cardio goes,the more the better,just make sure you are staying well hydrated and eating enough calories to support the amount of work you are doing..otherwise your body will do what it is designed to do and become catabolic(it will consume muscle for the amino acids and glycogen it needs) clean diet and excercise is truly the way..just be patient and consistant..you WILL meet your goals..Best of luck.:)
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    I took a slight peek at your diary but there are somedays (I do it too) that you start to log then don't finish the day out. I know with the holiday weekend it was hard.

Make sure you are logging correctly and log EVERYTHING. Not sure what the resteraunt omelet is that I saw in your diary several times but it could also be that you are underestimating what you are eating. Accuarate calorie count is ver important or you could be under-eating or over-eating.

I would have to say if you are sure about your calorie counts then keep at it. Sometimes the body needs a break to catch up so to speak. Even after having gastric bypass I went through several "stalls" as my body needed time to "catch up". Interestingly enough each time tha happened I would increase my calories a bit and it started losing again. Also, I am now one of those people that will lose nothing for several weeks then "bam" I lose several pounds over the course of several days. In the end it all works out if you stick to it.

I'm not exactly sure how to calorie count what doesn't have any type of reference material. it's kinda like a mom/pop cafe...so I log everying individually?? Like eggs, spinach, tomatoes, onions, etc???
  • elizabethblake
    elizabethblake Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I took a quick look at your diary and here are my impressions:

You should start tracking carbs. At a glance, it looks like you may be eating a lot of carbs.

Those flavored coffee creamers will kill ya.

Try to go easier on breakfast, and have more calories at lunch, it's good to have a steady stream of calories (energy) throughout the day.

I know it's hard, but try to avoid eating frozen dinners. It looks like you're eating a lot of prepared, prepackaged food, and it's difficult to really know what's in them - calorie, chemical and nutrient-wise. You could substitute your 300 calorie Lean Cuisine with a homemade salad (2 cups lettuce, some fresh veggies, grilled or roasted chicken breast - or whatever you like) and have the same amount of calories, but be eating better food. Make it the night before so you can just grab it in the morning (advice I need to take myself!).

Also, I know you have your trip coming up, but try not to beat yourself up if you haven't lost 50 lbs. by then. For having started only a month ago, to try to lose another 40 lbs. in the next two months - that's not likely to happen and you shouldn't set yourself up for failure. You'll get where you want to be! You're doing good things! :o)

eta: it's also difficult to know the calorie/nutrient content of restaurant-prepared foods - the omelet you're eating at the mom & pop diner could be cooked in butter (BAM - ADD 50 CALORIES!), and like said earlier, you may be underestimating the amount you're eating. Seriously, I'd try to avoid all prepared, processed foods as much as humanly possible. It's the only way to truly know what you're eating.
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Did you update your weight in MFP? That 10 pounds will have made a difference in your calories!!! The main thing is to keep going!!! It also depends on how much weight you are starting with as well...When I weighed 340 pounds...I could walk a mile and lets say "burn 340 calories"...that same mile at the same pace for a 200 pound person may "burn 200 calories"....so you didn't get as much of a burn...some people add their weight back on (weights in hands, vest, etc.) or you can go faster or for a longer distance to still get the "same original burn"!!! Good luck & keep us posted!!!

yes mam I did! Sounds like I need to be more active...cardio wise that is...and up protien...I'll keep you posted!
  • DeniseGdz
    Options
    Up your protein,stick with the weight training..lean muscle burns calories...the more you have the more calories your going to need...LOG EVERYTHING..water,drinks,salt content,EVERYATHING...until you get into the habit of making healthy choices,its a must..it took me a long time to lose body fat ,because i was greatly underestimating what i ate..MFP has put alot into perspective for me..as far as cardio goes,the more the better,just make sure you are staying well hydrated and eating enough calories to support the amount of work you are doing..otherwise your body will do what it is designed to do and become catabolic(it will consume muscle for the amino acids and glycogen it needs) clean diet and excercise is truly the way..just be patient and consistant..you WILL meet your goals..Best of luck.:)

up protien, got it! Thank you so much!
  • rider72
    rider72 Posts: 119
    Options
    I agree with everyone (yea thats a cop out)....mix it up, track EVERYTHING, drink water, smile (this has to burn calories...), more protien will help, but make sure you are eating a small snack before you lift (the body will eat the muscle if theres no carbs to burn first!)

Personal testimony - (First off I am not a Beachbody coach....nor do I work for the company...and I don't buy their supplements)

I had been an avid lifter for several years, but always quickly plateaued and never saw gains, so I totally get the frustration factor. I finally (and yes I'll saw finally), kicked in and bought P90X, this is a great program for mixing up the routine, and keeping your body challenged. I saw pretty good progress with this program, but wasn't seeing the gains I wanted.

I am now a huge fan of Insanity....and let me tell you...I AM seeing the gains I want from doing this program. The interval training concepts as well as body weight resistance really fire up the metabolism. If you haven't looked into it, check out the website (or look up some of the videos on YouTube).

Month one conditions your system...and no matter how 'in shape' you think you are....you learn in the first five mintues that you have much room for improvement. You will see some pretty good gains and feel your core tighten up pretty quickly.

Month two...this is where it really kicks in.... (for eample today I did the Max Cardio conditioning...burned off 950 calories ...BEFORE Breakfast! :smile: ). The entire program is focused on cardio/interval, body resistance, and core strength

I'm now almost finished with my second full round of Insantiy (looking to put back in a few days of resistance on the next circuit).

I pack my own lunch to take to work every day so I know what im getting, I eat five times a day (every three hours), I cut out most sugar (I have a sweet tooth, so never gonna give it all up!), I measure my portions in the evening (the best I can).

Bottom line...I've been able to reduce my body fat to athletic levels - currently at 9%, and I've lost the last annoying 8lbs that I couldnt seen to shake for months.

Mind you ...Insanity is hard work....VERY hard work....but I have found it to be the best program I have done so far. I have quit my gym membership, and stopped using personal trainers. Couldnt be happier with my decision..

Okay..that was a mouthful...Best of luck on reaching your goals!