Spinach or Brocolli Cheese Pie ... yum, can use other veggie

Options
sunnysmile
sunnysmile Posts: 1,192
Here is a recipe I made yesterday using the fresh spinach and beet greens and stems from my CSA delivery. I used a vitamix to blend it all together and it made a creamy almost souffle-like quiche-like baked mixture. It could be a meal on it's own with a salad or soup, etc. Serve it hot or cold, can cut and freeze into portions then defrost as needed. This recipe is so old it's from my college days and was my roommates family recipe.

Spinach or Brocolli Pie (you can substitute many vegetables in this) - Serves 8

-2 cups small curd cottage cheese (I used lactaid lowfat)
-1 package frozen brocolli or spinach, defrosted and drained (I used a large amount of fresh spinach and beet greens and blended it with the vitamix)
- 3 eggs beated (can use egg whites only)
- 3 tbs flour (I used whole wheat flour, have a notation on recipe can use oatmeal here too)
- 1/4 pound lowfat grated cheddar cheese (I used more like 6 ounces in the recipe, love my cheese)
- 2 tbs melted butter/margarine/olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
pepper and garlic to taste

(I added a leak and garlic clove before putting in vitamix and pureeing)

Instructions:
Defrost chopped spinach or brocolli and drain well. Add to mashed cottage cheese. Add beaten eggs, flour, grated cheddar cheese, melted butter/margarine/oil, and seasonings. mix well and pour into greased pan. Bake 1 hour at 350 degree oven. Allow to cool 10 minutes to firm. Can be refrigerated or frozen. If frozen, thaw first and heat at 350 degrees for 20 minutes.

Calories if using whole eggs, 6 ounces of cheese, etc. is under 200 calories per serving.

If you make variations of this, I'd love to learn it. People always ask for more when I make this. I imagine you could substitue other cheeses like swiss, etc.

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,342 Member
    Options
    Thanks I am going to try this!!
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    Ooopps, be sure to bake at 350 degrees, I corrected the recipe but I did type it wrong initially. Hope you enjoy.
  • csopiarz
    csopiarz Posts: 2
    Options
    What is Vitamix?
  • Tree72
    Tree72 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much for sharing. I definitely want to try this one.
  • poesch77
    poesch77 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    bump
  • wildmustng87
    Options
    thanks for sharing!
  • med79
    med79 Posts: 288
    Options
    bump
  • sunnysmile
    Options
    What is Vitamix?

Vitamix is a really strong blender that can make amazing frozen drinks, puree fruit/veggies, create heated soups. If you ever watch Top Chef or some of the cooking shows you might see it. It's terrific but expensive (www.vitamix.com). I bought mine at Costco during a promo and it was less money. I think they have them at Whole Foods now too.

The Vitamix was an easy alternative to hand mixing for me, especially if you are using fresh greens (and stems in recipe), chop those items well, or use a food processor.
  • jlpdelorme
    jlpdelorme Posts: 44
    Options
    BUMP!
  • acquiescent
    Options
    bump