Dealing with an over sensitive co worker.

Options
124»

Replies

• lisarea425
    lisarea425 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I have to say I'm glad I don't work with some of you.

There's a phrase about walking in other people's shoes. I know I'm overly sensitive -- and I get defensive sometimes. I know that the crap I deal with internally is alot worse than what goes on around me. I know that a look or a comment often has less meaning behind it than I attribute to it. But I also know that it doesn't take the sting out.

I know that I've dealt with my own guilt and shame for the way I look -- the anger and frustration of being dismissed. The hurt and sadness when you try to reach out and feel rejected. I know what its like to feel left out -- to not fit in -- to know without a shadow of doubt that I'm not accepted.

I'm morbidly obese too. What I would have loved -- is for someone to befriend me. Take down one brick in the wall and teach me that friendship, understanding, and respect comes in all shapes and sizes. If I worked with this girl -- I would invite her out. I would take the time to get to know her.

What I wouldn't do -- is dismiss her opinions about health because she's morbidly obese. What an amazing opportunity to help someone -- to teach her. So work isn't the best place to do it -- invite her to go for a walk with you later. You'd be amazed what time and kindness can do for a relationship.

LOVE THIS!!!!!

I would have to say the best way to deal with is... is to well... Deal with it! Talk to her. Tell her where you have been and where you want to go. Tell her if she ever wants to go down that road you can offer her advice an support. Ignoring it will only make it worse for both of you. You will constantly wonder what you can say, and she will constantly wonder what you think about her. Deep down this woman is struggling as many of us all have. Don't take it personal and take the higher road.