Sugar goal

Options
Why is the daily sugar allowance so low? I just started tracking today, and my allowance is 24. If you drink one glass of skim milk and eat one banana in a day, you've gone over. I ate 90 grams of sugar today, and the only things I had with any added sugar were a corn muffin and a tablespoon of ketchup. It seems that this site advocates not eating fresh fruit, or milk, or other foods containing natural sugars?

Replies

• cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Why is the daily sugar allowance so low? I just started tracking today, and my allowance is 24. If you drink one glass of skim milk and eat one banana in a day, you've gone over. I ate 90 grams of sugar today, and the only things I had with any added sugar were a corn muffin and a tablespoon of ketchup. It seems that this site advocates not eating fresh fruit, or milk, or other foods containing natural sugars?
  • shorerider
    shorerider Posts: 3,817 Member
    Options
    Natural sugars from fruits, etc. really do not count towards your daily consumption. Yes, they are registered but the natural sugar is a lot better for you than processed sugars. It's not that this site doesn't advocate eating healthy because that's EXACTLY what it does do but you just have to take into account that this site is not capable of doing every thing. So, we have to sometimes do things on our own, such as taking into account that natural sugar is better for us than processed. You can go in and set your own level for that if you wish.

All that said, even natural sugar should be taken in moderation.
  • Red13
    Red13 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either, the hidden sugars in things add up to more than 24 for me too. I was doing some researching online though and it says the recommended amount of sugar is for added sugar, not naturally occuring ones (milk and fruit). So I wouldn't worry too much about going over if your sugars are from good foods. The site doesn't track good and bad foods.
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    It is my understanding you can adjust your personal settings for this on your own... There is a HUGE amount of sugar in condiments and miscellaneous things others consume on a daily basis. It is a great help for those who don't normally think about how much sugar is going into their system (i.e. my husband). Having said that, I think this is one area that a lot of overweight men and ladies like to track because in this site they are focused on their weight and by cutting back on sugar intake, it helps them. Additionally, it is a great tool for those who are sugar sensitive.
  • yoginimary
    yoginimary Posts: 6,786 Member
    Options
    Blame the food industry lobbyist. The sugar intake recommendation is based on added sugar, not natural sugars; however, because of some strong lobbying, the USDA did not require industry to separate the two on food labels. Added sugar should make up no more than 10% of your calorie intake. Usually about 1 soda's worth.
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I guess I'll ignore the sugar counts, since I know I don't eat much added sugar!
  • GoGetterMom
    GoGetterMom Posts: 852 Member
    Options
    Blame the food industry lobbyist. The sugar intake recommendation is based on added sugar, not natural sugars; however, because of some strong lobbying, the USDA did not require industry to separate the two on food labels. Added sugar should make up no more than 10% of your calorie intake. Usually about 1 soda's worth.
    Gotta love the USDA and their great pyramids..... If I ate like that I would be in a diabetic coma....