Never Gonna Give Up!!!

Options
Ugh. I am back at it. AGAIN. I always seem to go strong and lose a few pounds for a couple of weeks. Sometimes I go as long as a month, then I always fall off the wagon. I promise myself that I will never give up and that I will keep trying to stay healthy and get back into shape but it's frustrating.

For those of you that have finally learned to stick with it, how did you do it? What gave you that final push to stick with it? How did you do it? I would love to hear some success stories or some suggestions. I can go strong for a few weeks at best, then I get sick of counting and measuring and worrying about it in general and all my hard efforts go to crap. Help me help myself!!! :ohwell: :sad:

Replies

• flcaoh
    flcaoh Posts: 444
    Options
    Ugh. I am back at it. AGAIN. I always seem to go strong and lose a few pounds for a couple of weeks. Sometimes I go as long as a month, then I always fall off the wagon. I promise myself that I will never give up and that I will keep trying to stay healthy and get back into shape but it's frustrating.

For those of you that have finally learned to stick with it, how did you do it? What gave you that final push to stick with it? How did you do it? I would love to hear some success stories or some suggestions. I can go strong for a few weeks at best, then I get sick of counting and measuring and worrying about it in general and all my hard efforts go to crap. Help me help myself!!! :ohwell: :sad:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Give yourself time!!! Be patient but consistent. It will happen and like you said never give up!!! When you feel like giving up rethink your goals, think about how great you feel when you lose weight, think how great you feel after a workout and move on. Change will not happen overnight, it takes time. Consistency is the key!!! If you "mess up" one day pick yourself up the next day and keep going!! I started here in January, New Year's resolution of course. And yes, there have been times that I just wanted to give up and I did sometimes, when life just got too hectic and all I wanted to do was eat junk food....this site has really helped me a lot, reading and "talking" with people who are on the same boat. That has made a big difference for me. You know, I really think that this time come Jan 09 I will not have a New Year's resolution to lose weight for the first time in soooo many years!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • hnlymark
    Options
    Ultimately, I guess what keeps me going is not wanting to let myself down. Every other aspect of my life has been totally screwed up by external factors out of my control. I say that honestly. If I allow my health to get away from me, there's really only one person to blame, isn't there?

Besides which, being out of shape simply sucks, and all it takes is a taste of "the good life" to realize that.
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    I allow myself those days where I mess up. 1 or 2. Then after that I say "get back to it!" without any negativity.

Even thin people have days where they eat way too many calories, where they don't exercise, etc. The key is that they don't let that define most of their days.

I believe we trap ourselves when we scold ourselves. It would be better to laugh at having a bad day and go "WHOA...that's too many cookies!"

I don't believe negativity is good for long-term weight loss.
  • krystalmoore1986
    krystalmoore1986 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    You said it all in the title as long as you keep that attitude you will succeed!!!!!!!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: