Vegetarian - protein ideas?

Options
Hi, I really struggle to eat enough protein as a vegetarian. I try to limit the amount of tofu and soya-based products, as I actually find they can make me put on weight. How do other veggies on this site keep their protein in-take up? Thanks,

Replies

• beccalucy
    beccalucy Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I'll be watching as I have a similar problem!

However I try to include dry roast soya beans (100cal/25g which is really generous), use beans in evening meals such as 3 bean stew or bean salads and houmous instead of butter or as a dip.
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    along with eating plenty of beans, nuts, and veggies, i try to have a protein shake once a day with fruit and ice its a nice smoothie. It's about 30g protein. I'm not a vegetarian, but i rarely eat meat. Seasoned tofu is delicious too, but a little more difficult to have on a daily basis. I usually round out around 60-70 g/day of protein, without eating meat.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    cheese,eggs ,almonds ,peanut butter. YUMM
  • mgreen10
    mgreen10 Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    its not really possible to get enough protein as a vegetarian unless you overeat on these processed soy bean and palm oil products....which are devastating to the environment.
  • onetimegig
    Options
    Ditto on the protein shake - every day.
  • stbxadict
    stbxadict Posts: 11
    Options
    I really like these vegetarian protein sources: eggs, greek yogurt, beans, lentils, Jay Robb protein powder (tastes the best of the ones I've tried, has the best (cleanest) ingredients list I've seen on a protein powder).

Have you tried 3 grain tempeh? It has some soy in it, but is also mixed with some grains.

There are lots of bean and lentil recipes out there, and they're cheap :)
  • MrsGriffin67
    MrsGriffin67 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    I will be watching this post as well. My daughter just went vegetarian about a month ago and I want to make sure that she's getting enough protein in her diet.
  • stbxadict
    stbxadict Posts: 11
    Options
    its not really possible to get enough protein as a vegetarian unless you overeat on these processed soy bean and palm oil products....which are devastating to the environment.

I don't agree. You can get plenty of protein and still avoid processed soy and palm oil products.
  • mmelaragno
    mmelaragno Posts: 162
    Options
    I love greek yogurt, 12 grams of protein for every cup, and only like 120 calories - great snack. I am hardly ever under on protein, but if I am I add some hemp seeds to my cereal, sandwich, etc. I don't like to eat a lot of faux meat, but will probably once a week, that has a ton of protein. I also eat a lot of egg beaters, peanut butter, nuts, etc.
  • ambie35
    ambie35 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    oh yeah,I forgot to say greek yogurt! Does wonders!
  • abbyko
    abbyko Posts: 108
    Options
    Quinoa!!!! A complete protein!
  • hippo421
    hippo421 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    I suggest incorporating Quinoa into your diet. It is a complete protein and tastes great too. Try to purchase a fair trade brand since Quinoa has gained in popularity making it difficult for Bolivian natives to afford it. Another suggestion is hemp protein. it is a great vegetarian protein. Other things to try are organic nut butters. You can eat the peanut butter on top of a piece of toast and sprinkle it with the hemp protein. Here is a site that you can order everything at a reasonable price if you don't have a whole foods or heath food store near you. Other suggestions are beans, black eyed peas, and lentils (Which are also high in fiber!)

http://www.iherb.com/Nutiva-Organic-Hemp-Protein-Fiber-16-oz-454-g/4705?at=0

http://www.iherb.com/Alter-Eco-Black-Quinoa-16-oz-545-g/31394?at=0

You can use coupon code SAY963 to get $5 off your first order. Don't forget to check the "free" section to select two free items.
  • Kirstyvox
    Kirstyvox Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian and easily go over my protein allowance almost everyday. Beans, nuts, cheese and the odd soy product (eg. soya mince in pasta) are enough for me.

I sure hope mgreen10's comment about the environment was a joke...
  • Hyemija
    Hyemija Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try substituting quinoa for your normal grains (such as rice/couscous). It has 5.5 - 8 g of protein per 1 cup cooked (depending on which site you get your information from, the amount of protein per serving seems to vary). Also, try lentils with a whopping 18 g per 1 cup (cooked). Both quinoa and lentils are not grains, but rather seeds (so no gluten if you're trying to stay away from that). Quinoa is generally considered to be one the most complete vegetarian proteins, and if you choose to sprout your lentils, you get added protein and nutrients from that as well.
  • hippo421
    hippo421 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Oh yeah! I saw the greek yogurt comment from somebody. That is a great suggestion. I like Siggis Skyr (Like Greek Yogurt), just lower in sugar and sweetened with Agave Nectar (Has a lower Glycemic Index). But greek yogurt is fine and so is cottage cheese. I was not sure if you were vegitarian or not, so I was not sure to suggest it. Great suggestions everybody!
  • kvr414
    kvr414 Posts: 111
    Options
    OMG! i forgot about greek yogurt too! i have that EVERY morning! such a great protein source!! I eat okios vanilla with some sort of fruit or granola with it. chobani is the BEST though!!
  • Emilou9
    Emilou9 Posts: 44
    Options
    Do you eat eggs? I know some vegetarians do and some don't. I used to not, but have recently re-incorporated them into my diet which has helped with my protein. I also occasionally eat fish, which I guess would technically make me a pescatarian, although I only eat seafood occasionally.

As far as a strictly vegetarian diet, which is what my typical diet consists of, I love Gardein products. They are high in protein and low fat & cal. They have a lot of delicious varities to choose from and even have 3 complete meals that come with rice (all under 400 cals per meal). The seven grain crispy tenders are soooo yummy as well as the bbq pulled shreds...actually, I haven't had a Gardein product that I haven't found delicious.

I also eat a lot of beans, especially black beans and kidney beans. I always try to make smart protein combinations at meals to get all the amino acids that I need. Some of my favorites are black beans and brown rice, organic all natural peanut butter and whole wheat toast (regular pb has way too much sugar and too many additives), and almonds with 0% Fage greek yogurt.

Another one of my all time favorite ways to get protein is through quinoa, which is a complete protein. It is delicious, has a high nutritional value, and is so easy to make. It is also extremely versitle. I use it in vegetarian chili with black beans and kidney beans (Super high protein meal), as a mexican pilaf with spices, cilantro, black beans, corn, sauteed onions and jalepenos, or just eat it plain in place of rice. I hope this helps :-)
  • Emilou9
    Emilou9 Posts: 44
    Options
    I forgot to add that I also take a daily multivitamin. It helps me meet my iron quota, which I have always struggled with even when I wasn't a vegetarian. And ditto on the protein shakes! I love Jay Robb products...25 g of protein per scoop! I mix it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk and it is so good!
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Not true.

I eat eggs, nuts, beans, and quinoa mostly. I rarely eat tofu. I drink a vegan protein shake with almond butter. Combined with plant based proteins I get plenty. I make my own veggie burger/patties with beans, grains & veg in the food processor.
  • jraps17
    jraps17 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    If you are not allergic to wheat gluten then try seitan, you make it at home and flavor it as you like.